Plugsend~

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
sebuh

Plugsend~

Post by sebuh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:17 am

Dear all

I am working to re-code in M4L a plugin I have done in Pluggo which relies on Pluggo buses. It is an audio effect that does realtime sampling playable by MIDI... it seems that live can't have a track with midi and audio inputs, so I used the pluggo bussing system to feed in a MIDI plug...

Anyway, when we start the new Live8.1beta9, it refuses to load the pluggosend and pluggoreceive plugs. Is it normal? Is there a work around to my problem? I could accept to drag and drop clips into my buffer as a last resort, but would rather need audio and midi input to my plug...

thanks

Seb

amounra93

Re: Plugsend~

Post by amounra93 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 am

hmmm...were these objects working in earlier versions of the beta? Just curious....if you read some other posts, you'll see there's a lot of talk about sidechaining being missing from m4l.

*edit a little bit later* I just tried it out and plugsend~ / plugrecieve~ appear to be working fine for me....I am on the most recent beta of both MaxMSP and Live/M4L.
http://www.aumhaa.com for Monomod and other m4l goodies.

sebuh

Post by sebuh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:36 am

Dear amounra93

Thanks for this, plugsend does work; but not the pluggo bus send plugin. It used to work in the previous release of Live. I'll do my own sending plugins then

sorry for the noise

seb

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:55 am

OK, now I've discovered something new:

plugsend~ and plug receive~ seem to work fine, but sending them a "set" command is not working properly. Is this intentional, or a bug? Can someone verify the same results for me?

i.e. if one wants to rename the send/receive object dynamically, it breaks the send. just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if this functionality is now broken. I've not used the plugbus much, so I could be doing something wrong or making invalid assumptions.

jackaperkins

Post by jackaperkins » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:56 am

Hi, found this thread by searching.

I have a similar issue (I think). I want to be able to 'hear' the midi on a midi instrument track inside of a max effect object. I want be able to trigger parameter randomization with midi notes. Midiin doesn't seem to output anything when placed inside of a max audio effect, even if it's on a midi track that's receiving midi.

I'm not familiar with the pluggo objects, but plugmidiin doesn't yield anything either.

Any clues about this, or am I just doing something wrong?

-Jack

steff3

Post by steff3 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:57 am

But - is the plugsend~/receive~ a legacy module or is it future prove?

best

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:58 am

jackaperkins wrote:I have a similar issue (I think). I want to be able to 'hear' the midi on a midi instrument track inside of a max effect object. I want be able to trigger parameter randomization with midi notes. Midiin doesn't seem to output anything when placed inside of a max audio effect, even if it's on a midi track that's receiving midi.

I'm not familiar with the pluggo objects, but plugmidiin doesn't yield anything either.

Any clues about this, or am I just doing something wrong?
You can accomplish that with simple send and receive objects. You can even reroute things dynamically by sending "set" commands to the send/recieve object. Check the help files. This same functionality exists (current to beta9) with audio through plugsend~, and the reassignment of its send/receive sources are what I'm inquiring about.
steff3 wrote:But - is the plugsend~/receive~ a legacy module or is it future prove?
I dunno...this is another piece of info I'm trying to get at. Sidechaining would be nice, even if it has to be done with plugsend~/receive~ (which really isn't all that complicated to do).

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:13 am

I believe the plugsend and plugreceive stuff isn't supported.
Whenever the topic has come up, developers suggested using Live's audio routing features.
And if it worked flawlessly, there'd be a bunch of surround modules already.
I may be wrong, but I can't recall a single fix related to the pluggo infrastructure in Max 5.1.

jackaperkins

Post by jackaperkins » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 pm

You can accomplish that with simple send and receive objects. You can even reroute things dynamically by sending "set" commands to the send/recieve object.
Wouldn't this require the midi instrument at the top of the channel to have a send object to match the receive in my effect? I was hoping to be able to throw my audio effect on any channel that receives midi information, not having to match an effect to an instrument.

amounra93

Post by amounra93 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:49 pm

jackaperkins wrote:Wouldn't this require the midi instrument at the top of the channel to have a send object to match the receive in my effect? I was hoping to be able to throw my audio effect on any channel that receives midi information, not having to match an effect to an instrument
Nope. It's an internal message within max. All the MIDI happens in another plug, on another channel. Its like sidechaining, in a sense, but you are decoding the MIDI in one plugin and sending it as an internal Max message to the plug processing the audio.