A delete clip button: The one thing the launchpad is missing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Emissary

A delete clip button: The one thing the launchpad is missing

Post by Emissary » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:55 am

A delete clip button.

It would be great if you could hold down a combination of buttons (say the up and down buttons) and delete a clip you press. I dont know about you but its great launching clips for record and playing , not having to look at the screen. But when you make a mistake, it kind of breaks the mood having to go back to the screen, move your mouse to the messed up clip and press delete. I wonder if they could include this in a update. And dont give me the max for live bullcarp :P
Last edited by Emissary on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicknackerski

Re: The one thing the launchpad is missing

Post by Nicknackerski » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:27 am

Emissary wrote:A delete clip button.

It would be great if you could hold down a combination of buttons (say the up and down buttons) and delete a clip you press. I dont know about you but its great launching clips for record and playing , not having to look at the screen. But when you make a mistake, it kind of breaks the mood having to go back to the screen, move your mouse to the messed up clip and press delete. I wonder if they could include this in a update. And dont give me the max for live bullcarp :P
This is a great shout! i'm currently doing exactly the same thing. Also, in hitting delete all the time, if you're not careful you can delete the whole track instead of a clip......Very Annoying!
i'm trying to avoid M4L too as it'll just 'Get in the way' of the most important Task at hand, Making MUSIC! :twisted:

NPC

Post by NPC » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:45 am

hey i'm using midistroke (i'm on osx) and i mapped one button on my controller -still no launchpad for me :? - to ctrl+z and another to delete...works fine but maybe on the launchpad you need to be in user mode..just having a guess
MBP 13", Live Suite 8.2.7, Remote SL 25, LaunchPad, SL mkii 49, APC 20, Access Virus A, OctaTrack, MachineDrum, Blofeld...

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:56 am

another thing missing: Visual feedback when assigning the OVR-button. In user2-mode you can assign the on-off-buttons of devices, and launchpad's lights will indicate if an effect is on or off. But this visual feedback is missing for other parameters, as the OVR button for example.

It's quite cool to assign the OVR-button, so when you play new notes into existing midi-clips you can chose if you want to record them or not. Would be good if you could see on launchpad if it's toggled on or off.

(It's not too hard watching the screen and checkig the OVR button, but the idea is to do all this stuff without watching at the screen)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:13 am

^^
+1 for the OVR fb..
I'd like to be able to use it with 'user templates' in automap-pro
...for navigation...hiding sections and such...
unfortunatley I've had no luck in doing so...
I would've imagined user2 mode would be able to be 'automap' assignable...

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:45 am

pepezabala wrote:another thing missing: Visual feedback when assigning the OVR-button. In user2-mode you can assign the on-off-buttons of devices, and launchpad's lights will indicate if an effect is on or off. But this visual feedback is missing for other parameters, as the OVR button for example.

It's quite cool to assign the OVR-button, so when you play new notes into existing midi-clips you can chose if you want to record them or not. Would be good if you could see on launchpad if it's toggled on or off.

(It's not too hard watching the screen and checkig the OVR button, but the idea is to do all this stuff without watching at the screen)
Good call, i also have the ovr and metronome assigned to buttons in user 2 . I would imagine things like this wouldn't be too hard to add in an update?

We should lobby the abes with cakes and beer.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:59 am

I'm just going to keep bumping this to see if anyone else has a similar craving for some kind of delete clip button/ combination of buttons. This would take what an afternoon to program?, and turn the launchpad from a good studio time saver into a must have studio item. Sign here if you think its a good idea and we shall see if we can get an ableton to comment on the matter.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:12 pm

hmm, another thing that bugs me is that for visual feedback on playing midi notes I need to open another midi-channel for routing the midi back into the launchpad.

Now if I have different instruments on different channels, I need to open one midi-track for each one of them for visual feedback. Lots of additional channels if you have a set with a couple of instruments and want some lightshow when playing notes via launchpad into midi clips.

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:23 pm

I have to say that a delete clip button would be nice.

chrishobsonmedia

Re: A delete clip button: The one thing the launchpad is missing

Post by chrishobsonmedia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:14 pm

For the last 5 years, I have been trying to figure out a way to more efficiently delete session clips. For awhile, I took apart a computer keyboard and stuck it inside an Altoids box extracting only the DELETE key. I then taped it to the side of my controller.

What I really want is a single button mode approach. I want the launch pad to switch into a mode were pressing/triggering clips would just delete them instead. After I delete a couple clips I could turn this mode off and press the same clip buttons to start recording new ones.

I have a feeling that the majority of people using Live are just trigger pre-made clips. I have always used Live as an “On the Fly”/Jamming tool.

While am at it, as far as the Launchpad goes, in the 1st promo video, where the hell are they getting the functionality for the user modes. The guy is trigger notes, with visual feedback, and then he seams to be switching instruments with the bottom row which toggle red. Also, where is this MFL sequencer plugin for the Launchpad? Novation said they were going to let you download it, but now I can’t find it anymore?

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:21 pm

i would like to see a clip stop playing when i press the active clip again...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:25 pm

spacecat wrote:i would like to see a clip stop playing when i press the active clip again...
switch the clips to 'Toggle' trigger mode

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:51 am

thx 3dot, u rock=)

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:49 pm

+ 1 on a delete clip function.

It's essential for live loopers

djlimbs

Post by djlimbs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Bome's hooks it up w/ delete, duplicate, global quantize etc etc! i got mine setup w/ a shift button (holding session) and with all the top controls in mixer mode which dont have any functionality until you hit vol/pan/etc

i recommend bome's pro...u can program the light feedback too!