APC40 + Launchpad + (Bomes or Max4Live) = ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Loopscious

APC40 + Launchpad + (Bomes or Max4Live) = ?

Post by Loopscious » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:50 pm

I am using the APC40 + LaunchPad together as controllers to a DJ Setup. I am also using Bomes Midi Translator (on Mac OS X Snow Leopard).

Bomes is used to customize some of the APC functions, mainly to provide visual feedback. It's based on Darren Cowley's work (thestudiosessions.co.uk) but modified.

I am having the following issues
1. In the Midi window, If I set the LP to Track On and Remote ON for both Input and Output, I end up having some conflicts with the manual midi mappings I've set up with the APC (thus making some LP buttons in that grid useless). It works if I turn the Remote to OFF for both input and output for the LP

This happens regardless of whether I place the APC and LP boxed areas so they are adjacent and not overlapping. This is more about the midi assignments of both the APC and LP overlapping...

2. Ideally I'd like to disable the scene launch off the LP as a whole. The issue is that the Mixer Vol and Session Scene Launch button are the same. If I forget to switch to Mixer and try to go to volume, well... you can imagine that could be disastrous.

So my questions are
1. Is anyone using the APC + LP successfully? If so, how are you separating MIDI redundancy?

2. does anyone also see the need to turn off the scene launch functionality? Novation says it's not possible - but I imagine it is thru Bomes. Though I've experimented with it, and not had any positive results... Again the same thing about potential conflicts of how the APC is being translated vs. the LP...

3. Is it possible to create a midi translator function in Max4Live? [Not asking anyone to do this, just want to understand if that is a capability of Max4Live - such that perhaps in the future some APC and LP editors might surface, replacing the need for Bomes]

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,

M
Live 10 suite (just transitioning over from 9), mix of hardware and software