why is this brand new powerbook useless?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:23 am

MarkH wrote:
AdamJay wrote:which PB are you considering getting?

:P :P :P

Regards,
Mark
i still own the HP man! haha.

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:01 am

Thanks a lot, Adam, I got it and I'll see if it helps!

later,
John
www.soundclick.com/johntenney

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:00 pm

How much do you want for your hp?!

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:06 pm

ultrasource...

$1500 USD

here are the specs:

Athlon 64 3700
1.5GB RAM
80GB 5400rpm
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
15.4" Widescreen 1280x800
802.11g
12 cell battery upgrade
Geforce 440 Go with Firewire port and 5-in-1 card reader.

2 months old (10 months left on 1 year warranty, transferrable to any buyer who is a US resident)

i can also include legitimate corporate license copies of MS Office 2003, Norton Antivirus Corporate, and Ad-Watch Pro SE. i own volume licenses on these products.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:27 am

Arrgh! I looked at the specs for the 12" Adam, I would definitely be stepping down in a few categories if I were to sell both macs and get the twelve... :(

No gigbite ethernet, ( this would be a pain what with Logic node action, and Wormhole, you might want to check out Wormhole Adam, if you end up wanting to use any mac only pieces of software while composing on the desktop! )

smaller screen,

no recording DVDs,

Honestly the backlit keyboard is a new feature I would want as well.....

basically Apple are using other features besides the CPU speed to differentiate their line.....

My vocalist has a 1ghz 12", I 'm pretty sure they had the regular Gigabite Ethernet on that model, if it's not, then it doesn't slow anything down right now.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:47 am

yea only 15 and 17" PB's have gigabit ethernet and firewire 800
=(

you might wanna wait out apple's product line a little.

but the longer you wait, the lower those resell values are.
how much would you get for the PB And dual gig if you sold them today?
right now i'm recommending to folks considering the 1.67ghz G4 15" PB's to consider an imac G5 1.6ghz coupled with an ibook G4 1.2ghz. in the end you pay the same, and you get the power and big workspace for the studio, coupled with the ultra portability of a 12" 'book. and you dont have all your eggs in one basket.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:58 am

AdamJay wrote: you might wanna wait out apple's product line a little.

but the longer you wait, the lower those resell values are.
Yeah I probably will, I don't like buying new computers until I get at least 2 1/2 times the power out of them. Besides, right now my dual with every other program but Live, is comparable to the 1.6 G5, and seeing as how the vocalist has a 1Ghz, the 1.2 wouldn't be much of an improvement.
Though honestly, I have Komplete 2, NI allow you two license, if I sold both pb and tower, and bought the 1.5 12", I could instal on both powerbooks, and use Reactor Live on her machine........ decisions, decisions........

onnomon

performance problem

Post by onnomon » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:28 am

Sorry I didn't read thru every post when I noticed the topic, so this may be redundant.

Make sure the file system journalling is disabled. My 1GHz powerbook can do plenty of work. Try loading files onto another external harddrive.

When I get a new drive I usually bust it into 10-50G partitions (depends on overall capacity obviously). I put my audio files onto those partitions, never the "MacintoshHD" boot drive. There are just too many things happening on that volume (log files generated constantly, etc). Actually when I got my powerbook I reformatted it into a system drive plus partitions for audio....that seemed to work fine.

good luck,
dean

taximouse

new PB 12" - CPU spikes, drop outs

Post by taximouse » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:12 am

I've been using Ableton Live on my desktop machine (a 4 yr old G4) for several months and got a 12" powerbook in February so that I could use it in performance.

From what you describe it sounds like I am having identical issues.

I can't run more than 6 tracks without serious CPU spikes (from 15% to 300% it says???! How is that possible?) and audio drop-outs. And, when I try to record my Sessions into the Arrangement, after a bad spike the recording will just stop.

These are shortish audio clips (4 bar phrases) with NO effects.

I've tried all the optimization tricks I can think of. No go. I'm at a loss.

Simon Anderson

Good luck with your endeavours

Post by Simon Anderson » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:42 pm

I really feel for you. Let us know if you discover the source of the problem.
Total novice in the field of musical software. My ambition is to become sufficiently competent to play Live as a DJ within 12 month. Realistic?

B_Pronsato

Post by B_Pronsato » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:37 am

Same issues -- same Powerbook --

This has to be a Live 4 thing, really. I have done everything sniffio (?) Adam mentioned as far as optimizing...Even reencoding ALL of my aifs for a particular set. Still, nothing...

The weird thing is that it only happens on certain scenes, as Adam mentioned. Scenes that have a lengthy file -- mine max at 2 minutes. Once you add effects it gets pretty ugly tho.

There has to be more of us getting this issue...I ran my 667 PB with tons of effects and huge files using 3 -- Not sure what happened to 4.
12" MAC Powerbook--1.5ghz--512ram

gomi

Re: why is this brand new powerbook useless?

Post by gomi » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:01 pm

AdamJay wrote: 8 channels of audio (no fx) (a mix of large 5 minute waves and single bar loops) = 14% cpu, then all the sudden the cpu meter jumps to 400% and i hear a minor audio drop...
if i trigger another scene of 8 stereo channels, all hell breaks loose and i get a 1 second or longer audio drop.
I noticed this weekend (i finally loaded up live) that when playing back large wave files
it chokes, it was displaying 111 percent cpu usage in the terminal...

but once i chopped up the files into chunks it was much smoother.
i am able to play back 8 channels with some fx, and a live input for my
guitar going through amplitube... (i have the latency down to 5ms)
and it's not breaking a sweat anymore...

don't ask me why, i was pretty amazed...

needless to say i made a carbon copy of my drive, just in case something ever
goes wrong ;)

B_Pronsato

Post by B_Pronsato » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:20 pm

Yeah, I've slowly been trimming longer files down...But really that is not the right answer here. I mean for the time being, yes. It just should not being happening.
I'm sure these guys are on it tho. I wonder if Adam has toyed enough after his fix to to say with certainty that he's doing okay with his set...You there Adam?...
I guess the answer for now is to use minimal effects, re-encode your aifs .wavs, and trim your large files down...
12" MAC Powerbook--1.5ghz--512ram

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:12 am

hey guys ... sorry for my absence.

listen i still get occasional problem but here is something interesting i've discovered.

aside from the occasional first hitting start hiccup that many users have, i've noticed that if i load a live set with SEVERAL long tracks (like 80 .wav/aif's all 5 minutes or more) i need to play the first few bars of each track before i start my performance.

so what i do is go through and trigger all clips with my audio muted.
i just trigger from the scene play button... and watch the cpu meter go crazy.

after i do this.... everything is fine aside from the rare occasional minute hiccup during performance.

I don't know if its the Hitachi HD's being used in the new PBs or what, thats my only guess. I have disabled the sudden-motion-sensor, as described in the first couple pages of this thread.

anyways, try what i mentioned above... triggering all your clips before hand, for at least 2-4 bars (they WILL hiccup, and cpu meter will go crazy). and then see if you have issues.

i only have this issue in my live/dj/remix performance .als (which has been rebuilt many times) as about half of the material in there is longer clips. I do not have this issue when i am writing tracks with entirely small audio and midi clips in Live.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:40 am

oh and something else i've been doing is Renicing Live to -8
gives it priority over some background processes.

not sure if its totally helped with the drop outs, but it does give me peace of mind onstage that a small background process isn't going to grab the cpu if Live needs it.

i use BeNicer 2.0 for this.

you can get it at macupdate.com