Notation in Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
memyselfandus

Notation in Live 9?

Post by memyselfandus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:01 am

What are the chances of getting some basic Notation features in the next version of Live?

I heard it "may".. be a possibility with max4live? doubt it but..

Mint Invader

Re: Notation in Live 9?

Post by Mint Invader » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:12 am

memyselfandus wrote:What are the chances of getting some basic Notation features in the next version of Live?

I heard it "may".. be a possibility with max4live? doubt it but..
I think its a bit far off to worry about that now... give it a year until live nine
Because Whatever.

lynfin

Post by lynfin » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:16 am

they better do this!!! I need this feature big time.

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:43 am

Oh no, please, no. Focus on music!
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:59 am

Notation is part of music ! Music is not just ripping off some samples and lining them up with beats from Big Fish Audio ...

However - I do agree with you Ray, other priorities first. I think a fair % of the Live userbase are more likely to want a dozen things or more ahead of adding notation.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:00 pm

i´d love to see notation too!

but my experience is, that the more music turns to four on the floor, the bigger is their producers fear of written music. some of them even hate notation. they say: music is for listening, not for reading! ok, words are for listening too - so nobody should ever read this!

exeptions welcome :wink:

vicz

Post by vicz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:03 pm

..then I could get rid of Logic for good :)

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:49 pm

I would hate to see Live go that way. Traditional music notation is not rich enough for electronically produced music. If you are writing musical parts for band members then Live is not really the right tool IMO. The combination of piano roll and clip envelopes is a better form of "notation" for the kind of things Live excels at.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

ciw

Post by ciw » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:10 pm

crumhorn wrote:Traditional music notation is not rich enough for electronically produced music.
+1

I'm not scared of sheet music but I'd rather not pay for a feature that allows printing the same notes in an inferior manner for the task at hand.

vicz

Post by vicz » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:28 pm

crumhorn wrote:I would hate to see Live go that way. Traditional music notation is not rich enough for electronically produced music. If you are writing musical parts for band members then Live is not really the right tool IMO. The combination of piano roll and clip envelopes is a better form of "notation" for the kind of things Live excels at.
So Live is only for 'electronic' music is it?

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:07 pm

vicz wrote:
crumhorn wrote:I would hate to see Live go that way. Traditional music notation is not rich enough for electronically produced music. If you are writing musical parts for band members then Live is not really the right tool IMO. The combination of piano roll and clip envelopes is a better form of "notation" for the kind of things Live excels at.
So Live is only for 'electronic' music is it?
Not exclusively. But for me it is fundamentally a living, breathing, musical contraption - a kind of musical playground. So much more than just a sequencer designed to play back sequences of midi notes.

I just don't think notation would add anything very useful to the program. As an input mechanism it would be less accessible and probably more fiddly to use than the piano roll. And if you want to produce arrangements/scores for a band, orchestra, choir or whatever then I think Live is not really intended for that.

But this is only my opinion of course, based on how I use Live and what I personally want from the program.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

ark

Post by ark » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:44 pm

I'd love to see a collaboration between Live and Finale they way they're collaborating with Max.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:23 pm

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Yes, there´s dedicated software for notation.
If Ableton implemented notation, there quickly would be demand of more like "xxx has that notation feature, why don´t Live have it", which pushes Live in the wrong direction, imho.
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:05 pm

I agree that it would be a significant tangent and not where I'd like to see Live going. If you need notation, Logic is available or for more advanced notation features, Sibelius (my preference) or Finale or Notion. It would clutter up Live to include this feature, IMHO.