Will Live 8.1 have Max4Live runtime?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
4/4

Re: Will Live 8.1 have Max4Live runtime?

Post by 4/4 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:36 am

stringtapper wrote:
4/4 wrote:But seriously, the comment was tongue-in-cheek - hence the smiley with his tongue sticking out like a cheeky monkey.

I don't early-adopt Ableton products anymore, for stability & pricing reasons. I don't see how M4L is going to be an exception after years of the same pattern. You early-adopters will be burned by the flaming shit-stick, I guaran-fuckin-tee it. And a better price will be offered about a year down the road, when it's more stable. I'm geekish, but not uber geekish that I derive pleasure out of paying to be a part of a beta-testing community. Let's not fight, we're in this together =)
Don't see how I could possibly get burned. I'm already using M4L in its beta stage. At this point I'm paying to have a version that doesn't expire and has complete documentation.

And since I'm already using it, it will be worth it to me to pay the measly $30 or whatever coupon you might get in a few months just so I can keep using it. If they lower the price by $100 in one year, then that $100 was also worth it for me to be able to keep using it.
Wasn't referring to you, or the likes of you, Stringtapper. You enjoy ironing out those kinks. More power to you, and thanks in advance =)

re: the coupon, lol. I was going to mention it. but isn't the coupon usually given to the early-adopters ? , not johnny-come-lately. If memory serves me, the last coupon that was issued out was when they were rewarding early-adopters, and trying to get them to early-adopt again to live8. Would have been a nicer gesture if they didn't also increase the upgrade price by roughly the same value as the coupon. Hoho!
I should have worded it better, but I mean there's bound to be a better deal a year down the road. something along the lines of "buy M4L now and get an upgrade M4L 2.0 for free" , or getting some kind of reduction if you buy it along side a Live9 upgrade etc. It's inevitable. It's how they've been reeling folks in for years now. And it suits me, and I'm sure lots of other people who're familiar enough with the business model to see it coming.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:53 am

4/4 wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
4/4 wrote:But seriously, the comment was tongue-in-cheek - hence the smiley with his tongue sticking out like a cheeky monkey.

I don't early-adopt Ableton products anymore, for stability & pricing reasons. I don't see how M4L is going to be an exception after years of the same pattern. You early-adopters will be burned by the flaming shit-stick, I guaran-fuckin-tee it. And a better price will be offered about a year down the road, when it's more stable. I'm geekish, but not uber geekish that I derive pleasure out of paying to be a part of a beta-testing community. Let's not fight, we're in this together =)
Don't see how I could possibly get burned. I'm already using M4L in its beta stage. At this point I'm paying to have a version that doesn't expire and has complete documentation.

And since I'm already using it, it will be worth it to me to pay the measly $30 or whatever coupon you might get in a few months just so I can keep using it. If they lower the price by $100 in one year, then that $100 was also worth it for me to be able to keep using it.
Wasn't referring to you, or the likes of you, Stringtapper. You enjoy ironing out those kinks. More power to you, and thanks in advance =)

re: the coupon, lol. I was going to mention it. but isn't the coupon usually given to the early-adopters ? , not johnny-come-lately. If memory serves me, the last coupon that was issued out was when they were rewarding early-adopters, and trying to get them to early-adopt again to live8. Would have been a nicer gesture if they didn't also increase the upgrade price by roughly the same value as the coupon. Hoho!
I should have worded it better, but I mean there's bound to be a better deal a year down the road. something along the lines of "buy M4L now and get an upgrade M4L 2.0 for free" , or getting some kind of reduction if you buy it along side a Live9 upgrade etc. It's inevitable. It's how they've been reeling folks in for years now. And it suits me, and I'm sure lots of other people who're familiar enough with the business model to see it coming.
actually that's really well worded imo...! :wink:
and the deal probly wouldn't be for us 'upgraders'... it'll more likely be "pre-order Live9 and get M4l for free...this month only" or something of that sorts...

I actually think the pricing of m4l is great !! ...but still...
the ability to load patches shouldn't be blocked...only the editing

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:08 am

4/4 wrote:re: the coupon, lol. I was going to mention it. but isn't the coupon usually given to the early-adopters ? , not johnny-come-lately.
ya, I'm right. Hehe, I found the jpeg I photoshopped at the time.

For anyone who doesn't get the film reference, it's from David Lynch's adaptation of 'Dune'
The box that guy is forced to stick his hand into is about to cause intense, inhuman pain.
Most people wouldn't stick their hand in something like that twice....unless they got a time-limited coupon!

:lol:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:16 am

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:29 am

4/4 wrote:Wasn't referring to you, or the likes of you, Stringtapper. You enjoy ironing out those kinks. More power to you, and thanks in advance =)

No kinks here. Just wacky-sound-generating-thingie-making.

Also I don't see them making M4L a paid upgrade. Any future developments that enhance the way M4L integrates with Live will mostly be changes to Live itself (i.e. accepting sysex messages, dealing directly with OSC, etc.) and those changes should be covered by the upgrade to the next version of Live.
Unsound Designer

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:39 am

re:M4L paid upgrades - true dat, but you never know.
Still though, a better deal down the road when a new version of live is being released is inevitable. The betterness compounded by the fact it will have had time to mature.

No kinks ?
Lucky you!

Kinks for other users are, again, inevitable. No point debating it or demanding I substantiate my claim. Time, if not experience, will most assuredly tell. And someone's gonna be ironing out those kinks for me - so a heartfelt thanks to whoever that is!

steff3

Post by steff3 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:15 am

[quote="LoopStationZebra"]

Max community is completely open source. WTF? .[/quote]

Well, Max is not open source to begin with - check it out - have a look here: Cycling74.com (neither free for download, nor will you get the source code)

Externals from IRCAM are not [b]all[/b] open source ... (e.g. Suivi, neither free for download, nor will you get the source code) There are others that do not offer externals for free download.

The patches of works down with Max are not at all open source in general ....

And there are even Max generated software that you are asked to pay for if you want to use it ...

Sorry, but I would not at all consider that open source ....

best

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:55 pm

ped?ant
??/?p?dnt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ped-nt]

–noun
1. a person who makes an excessive or inappropriate display of learning.
2. a person who overemphasizes rules or minor details.
3. a person who adheres rigidly to book knowledge without regard to common sense.
4. Obsolete. a schoolmaster.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:27 pm

you really don't like max4Live do, you? :lol:

:roll:

we don't care.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you really don't like max4Live do, you? :lol:

:roll:

we don't care.
Search the Max For Live beta forum for posts by 4/4. You'll get the real answer.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:37 pm

yee-ouch!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:41 pm

One of you is a shill, the other a fanatic (textbook).
If you can't grasp what I'm saying perhaps I should re-iterate.

I am not interested in being an early-adopter of an Ableton product. I WILL buy Live8 & M4L... when Live9 is around the corner.

Why?

Because of Ableton's business model. They release a new version pretty much yearly, every version I've had from 4 to 7 has gone the same way: They spend the bones of a year sorting the bugs & instabilities out, and it's closest to the advertised product when it's replacement is released. I have not told a single soul not to get M4L, or anything close to it.

I am not interested in beta testing it either (the free kind of beta testing, and especially not the paid variety) , I don't own Live8 and I am not interested in installing the demo.

Why ?

Experience. Beta testing Live7 prior to release completely FUCKED my machine's PACE protection scheme and it took *months* to fix. Neither Ableton nor PACE accepted responsibility for that.

Anyways, you know this. I haven't dissed M4L, I've merely stated the facts about the business model. I pay my way, and encourage others to do the same - when it's sensible.

See: experience.

So ya, enjoy your chuckles - you're fools if you think "I don't like M4L" , or am making unsubstantiated claims.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:22 pm

4/4 wrote:Experience. Beta testing Live7 prior to release completely FUCKED my machine's PACE protection scheme and it took *months* to fix. Neither Ableton nor PACE accepted responsibility for that.
Months to fix? What were you doing dicking around for months with a computer setup?

Sounds like you didn't know what you were doing or weren't willing to do what needed to be done to fix the problem. I'm betting on the latter based on the general tenor of your posts.
Unsound Designer

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:27 pm

stringtapper wrote:
4/4 wrote:Experience. Beta testing Live7 prior to release completely FUCKED my machine's PACE protection scheme and it took *months* to fix. Neither Ableton nor PACE accepted responsibility for that.
Months to fix? What were you doing dicking around for months with a computer setup?

Sounds like you didn't know what you were doing or weren't willing to do what needed to be done to fix the problem. I'm betting on the latter based on the general tenor of your posts.

Oh HI Stringtapper!
Fancy getting a reply from you fanboy number 3. Still no problems with M4L ?
Good.
GOOD!

What I was doing dicking around for months? well, simple. Doing the EXACT same thing over and over.
Disk defrags, repairing permissions, re-installing PACE extensions, booting from external hard-drives and doing all of the above again. Over, and over.

It eventually worked.
When I had simultaneously, and for an unrelated reason, connected a borrowed lacie hard-drive.

Cool system PACE have going for themselves. Also, much respect to Ableton for their awesome beta builds.

btw, I held out on doing a fresh OS install because that was NOT an option during that time.

4/4

Post by 4/4 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:32 pm

it's kool when fanatics make arbitrary arguments when they don't like the facts being presented to them.

You'd swear my views on the business model were radical, and somehow meant I don't like the product. I don't like paying to beta-test the product. That is all. Enjoy your circle-jerk :lol:

UKRuss wrote:Image

(reposted for lols at TD's expense =)