Mastering Effect Racks

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
dokken

Mastering Effect Racks

Post by dokken » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:40 pm

I was just looking around the effects that come with Ableton Live and discovered a whole group of effects racks designed for mastering. I was just wondering if any of you have used these racks to master your Live Sets and if so did you find them adequate compared to the other options out there.

tlennon

Re: Mastering Effect Racks

Post by tlennon » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:46 am

Ableton's mastering chains are effective enough for shaping your final mix. Boosting selective frequencies. compression and limiting. Are you asking for a comparison to a specific 3rd party suite? If so, which ones?
Terrence Lennon

michael4u

Post by michael4u » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:18 am

Thank you for information. I got lot from your post. Thanks Once again. keep it up Man!
Erotic Movies

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:17 am

michael4u wrote:Thank you for information. I got lot from your post. Thanks Once again. keep it up Man!
Erotic Movies
Lol. 44 posts huh?
And already mastering erotic movies...nice bot.

dokken

Post by dokken » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:16 am

tlennon wrote:Ableton's mastering chains are effective enough for shaping your final mix. Boosting selective frequencies. compression and limiting. Are you asking for a comparison to a specific 3rd party suite? If so, which ones?
I didn't have any particular comparison in mind. I guess I was just wondering if they were as good as most third-party solutions in a general sense.

mode:masters

Post by mode:masters » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:38 am

Dokken, Live's built-in Mastering Racks are very decent!

Recently I made the decision to completely legitimize all my software (yeh I know, I know, should have done it ages ago) and am currently running a minimum of plugins for the sake of stability (not to mention I can't afford all the stuff I want...).

Over the weekend I recorded some vocals/guitar for a friend and had to rely solely on the inbuilt mastering racks. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I used the "Male Vocals" preset and only had to make a few minor tweaks to the EQ and Reverb settings. The recording was very raw and what I ended up with was pretty polished.

So unless you have something very specific in mind I would recommend visiting the Mastering Racks before trying anything else. Your CPU will love you :)
Last edited by mode:masters on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Globaldj

Post by Globaldj » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:47 am

Compressor
EQ
Compressor
Limiter
Living in a world of Graphic Design and Music Production

dokken

Post by dokken » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:58 am

mode:masters wrote:Dokken, Live's built-in Mastering Racks are very decent!

Recently I made the decision to completely legitimize all my software (yeh I know, I know, should have done it ages ago) and am currently running a minimum of plugins for the sake of stability (not to mention I can't afford all the stuff I want...).

Over the weekend I recorded some vocals/guitar for a friend and had to rely solely on the inbuilt mastering racks. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. I used the "Male Vocals" preset and only had to make a few minor tweaks to the EQ and Reverb settings. The recording was very raw and what I ended up with was pretty polished.

So unless you have something very specific in mind I would recommend visitng the Mastering Racks before trying anything else. You CPU will love you :)
Well, that's reassuring. Maybe I'll try to use them exclusively then. I've found that many VSTs are definitely heavy on the CPU compared to Live's built-in effects. It's also nice to have a consistent interface when using all these plug-ins. Thanks for the tip. Glad to hear you've gone "legit" too :lol:

dokken

Post by dokken » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:59 am

Globaldj wrote:Compressor
EQ
Compressor
Limiter
I take it that's your mastering chain? If so, why two compressors?