RIP Technics

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
siliconarc

RIP Technics

Post by siliconarc » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:31 am

rbmonosylabik

Re: RIP Technics

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:59 am

:(

Time to snatch a used one before their price skyrockets.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:04 pm

Some weeks ago, I heard about a german company going the other way round... with the production of turntables they found themselves occupying a niche on the market, as many people want to listen to their old lps again and would rather buy a discreet belt-drive-tt instead of a neon-coloured-usb-plastics-turntable-with-mp3-ripping-function.

Maybe it needs a nuclear war so that people will notice a turntable won't be affected by emp - unlike the topnotch hightech-oh-I-spilled-vodka-on-your-laptop-setups :lol: .

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:17 pm

finally!, what took em' so long to let the dinosaur die? can't wait for the day they disappear in clubs entirely.
*** Image GAFM ***

derzai

Post by derzai » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Will have to take this one to my live gig.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:49 pm

super sad, please email technics saying they are doing the wrong thing!

Agent G

Post by Agent G » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:53 pm

There is plenty to go round for us who still love 1200's....

SubFunk wrote:
finally!, what took em' so long to let the dinosaur die? can't wait for the day they disappear in clubs entirely.
come on Sub keep a set under the booth a least...my last 4 gigs had to carry my tech's to the club fuckin heavy but worth it ...

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:56 pm

as much as I am all for digital and the end of the music medium circle A to circle B and back again. its sad thing. but now maybe the purists will start to let go.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:57 pm

:D
No one's buying 1200s anymore?
Well that's what happenes if you make a product, add no signifiant improvements, and still want people to pay the same nearly 40 years later. Hope they get cleared ot of the clubs now.

<--- Happy owner of 2 PDX-2000

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Dexes wrote::D
No one's buying 1200s anymore?
Well that's what happenes if you make a product, add no signifiant improvements, and still want people to pay the same nearly 40 years later. Hope they get cleared ot of the clubs now.

PDX2000 may have all the specs and features, but they're butt ugly. No way I'd have them in my living room. 1210s are a design classic.

magestro

Post by magestro » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:04 pm

First of all :cry:
andydes wrote:PDX2000 may have all the specs and features, but they're butt ugly. No way I'd have them in my living room. 1210s are a design classic.
second that, they are design classics

.. its like, if u take medium care for em they do run and run runrunrnr.... i got some and they easily work and already got past the 20 year line. I might guess those vestax won`t be able to cope with that. Technics are build like tank, just those cables might need replacement....
SubFunk wrote:
i can only disagree, but i guess i got a oldschool way of thinking concerning this. Cause whats left to DJing if you ain`t got turntables to work your routines...i don`t like this way of, i got a TB of mp3s on my HDD and if i press knob a i can do an incredible mix, thinking....i`d rather buy vinyl or at least mix with timecoded vinyl, though i know its just my 2cents

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:20 pm

magestro wrote:First of all :cry:
andydes wrote:PDX2000 may have all the specs and features, but they're butt ugly. No way I'd have them in my living room. 1210s are a design classic.
second that, they are design classics

.. its like, if u take medium care for em they do run and run runrunrnr.... i got some and they easily work and already got past the 20 year line. I might guess those vestax won`t be able to cope with that. Technics are build like tank, just those cables might need replacement....
SubFunk wrote:
i can only disagree, but i guess i got a oldschool way of thinking concerning this. Cause whats left to DJing if you ain`t got turntables to work your routines...i don`t like this way of, i got a TB of mp3s on my HDD and if i press knob a i can do an incredible mix, thinking....i`d rather buy vinyl or at least mix with timecoded vinyl, though i know its just my 2cents
you see i am in the boat fighting against the miss-conception that you only can mix and DJ the oldskool sounding way with turntables or control vinyl...
most people simply don't know how incredible the midi mix possibilities are of programs like traktor.
i was nearly 20 years a hardcore turntable freak (used to mainly play with 3 decks and efx), jumped even CDs entirely, i always dismissed them...
but now, since T3 came along and even better Tpro i am all digital and midi only, no freakin' decks for me anymore...

and i would love to see way more creative digital use, the problem i agree with is that because of the easy possibilities some digital systems have all those people who can't mix and DJ for shit, think they can... because it's digital and you can use all that auto rubbish, but you can also do everything manually and crafted and go way above the possibilities of turntables... that requires general DJ skills, thou... digital or turntable it doesn't matter...

1210s are a beauty, i had mine for nearly 20 years and looked well after them selling em' for nearly the price of new ones. :)

but i honestly would like to see them disappearing in clubs (turntables in general)... there time is up, in my books.

and get more creative DJ-ing going... with all the beautiful possibilities digital offers.
*** Image GAFM ***

Grandmasterbird

Post by Grandmasterbird » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:40 pm

I had to pipe up when i saw some of these replies....
SubFunk wrote: finally!, what took em' so long to let the dinosaur die? can't wait for the day they disappear in clubs entirely.
Why? They're f*king awesome and need some skill to operate. I may be old fashioned but I for one wish there were more Technics turntables in clubs and less laptops. Say what you will, but vinyl mixing is an art.
Dexes wrote:No one's buying 1200s anymore?

The reason they have not significantly changed the design is because they do not need to- if it isnt broken dont fix it. The design is (in my opinion) almost perfect. The fact that they have not changed the design and they are still the industry standard club-turntable nearly 40 yrs on speaks for itself.

If better turntables existed, they wouldnt be the industry standard.

I personally hav'nt used mine for a few years now as I switched to CDJ's, but I am sad to see the line being discontinued and I too would NEVER in a million years sell mine.

I dont expect DJ's who have started DJ'ing in the last couple of years or so to understand that as the likelyhood is that they started out using CDJ's or a laptop, but for me and lots of people I know it was on Technics turntables that we learned our craft and there is still something magical about them.

Am I old fashioned? Do I sound like a grumpy old fart? Most probably. But hey, that's me! 8)

Peace

magestro

Post by magestro » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:47 pm

SubFunk wrote:
you see i am in the boat fighting against the miss-conception that you only can mix and DJ the oldskool sounding way with turntables or control vinyl...
most people simply don't know how incredible the midi mix possibilities are of programs like traktor.
i was nearly 20 years a hardcore turntable freak (used to mainly play with 3 decks and efx), jumped even CDs entirely, i always dismissed them...
but now, since T3 came along and even better Tpro i am all digital and midi only, no freakin' decks for me anymore...

and i would love to see way more creative digital use, the problem i agree with is that because of the easy possibilities some digital systems have all those people who can't mix and DJ for shit, think they can... because it's digital and you can use all that auto rubbish, but you can also do everything manually and crafted and go way above the possibilities of turntables... that requires general DJ skills, thou... digital or turntable it doesn't matter...

1210s are a beauty, i had mine for nearly 20 years and looked well after them selling em' for nearly the price of new ones. :)

but i honestly would like to see them disappearing in clubs (turntables in general)... there time is up, in my books.

and get more creative DJ-ing going... with all the beautiful possibilities digital offers.
oh you got me wrong, i am not against digital mixing at all, jumped the boat from the beginning with final scratch v1 and been thru various and different system been with traktor 3 and all that, though i still think rane-serato is the best of both worlds. Even got totally stunned by the creative possibilities this offers and :) skipped CDs as well. Never thought CDJs could offer any interesting creative potential.

I totally understand that you would love to see a way more creative use of the a given technology. Its like with the c64 and todays PCs where one system has been tweaked to the limit, todays systems (to be exact: the people that use em) don`t even get near their specs.

it looks like the only different oppinion we got ist wether to keep em in the club or not...from my person it is definetly keep em :)

One B I G point for us live users is the serato integration coming up. I am really stoked of thinking what this might end up. To me it looks like the future DJ might become the All-Around-Entertainer, with on the fly remixing, live perfoming own tracks and spinning the wheels of steel (damn i still like this term) to stand out of the lame rest.

BTW: I guess you`ll regret selling you`re 1210s some time soon, should at least kept one :)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Grandmasterbird wrote:I had to pipe up when i saw some of these replies....
SubFunk wrote: finally!, what took em' so long to let the dinosaur die? can't wait for the day they disappear in clubs entirely.
Why? They're f*king awesome and need some skill to operate. I may be old fashioned but I for one wish there were more Technics turntables in clubs and less laptops. Say what you will, but vinyl mixing is an art.

totally agreed it is an art, i played 3 deck and efx mayhem for nearly 20 years...
so is proper digital DJ-ing it is also an art, i moved on......
Dexes wrote:No one's buying 1200s anymore?

The reason they have not significantly changed the design is because they do not need to- if it isnt broken dont fix it. The design is (in my opinion) almost perfect. The fact that they have not changed the design and they are still the industry standard club-turntable nearly 40 yrs on speaks for itself.

also agreed, they only changed what was really necessary with the MKII and then later with the MG5, etc. models

If better turntables existed, they wouldnt be the industry standard.

I personally hav'nt used mine for a few years now as I switched to CDJ's, but I am sad to see the line being discontinued and I too would NEVER in a million years sell mine.

I dont expect DJ's who have started DJ'ing in the last couple of years or so to understand that as the likelyhood is that they started out using CDJ's or a laptop, but for me and lots of people I know it was on Technics turntables that we learned our craft and there is still something magical about them.

for me the magic sits in what happens on the dancefloor.... and your head/ears.

Am I old fashioned? Do I sound like a grumpy old fart? Most probably. But hey, that's me! 8)

Peace
still i like em' disappearing... don't worry, want happen in my and your lifetime, thou...

EDIT: honestly i think i am only angry that most DJ booth/clubs are not propper designed to allow a comfortable
digital playing next to turnatbles, CDs...
i just want the space they take for my setup. :mrgreen:
*** Image GAFM ***