Akai MPD and MPK pad mods - tips for better pad sensitivity

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which pad controller do you own?

Akai MPD (18, 24, 32, etc)
45%
Korg PadKontrol
12%
Akai MPK (49, 61, 88)
22%
M-Audio Trigger Finger
6%
other
15%

Total votes: 265

day-la

Re: Akai MPD and MPK pad mods - tips for better pad sensitivity

Post by day-la » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:46 pm

yes i too got my MPD 61 few days ago. used it to play a show last night. pads feel more responsive than the stock mpd 32 pads that i have. im lovin the mpk 61 a lot. pads feel great for some reason. but had to mod the mpd 32 and its legit now.

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Hmm... did Akai listen to us?

Great to hear about the MPK61!!

aeon_flux

Post by aeon_flux » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:36 pm

i'm fresh mpd18 user and i'm tweaking now velocity midi effect. does modification described in that topic provides some extra functions that can't be achieved with that effect?

parke02

Post by parke02 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:07 am

Thank you! The mod worked great on my MPD32. Unbelievable how AKAI shipped the controller with such horrible pad sensitivity.

NicolauChow

Post by NicolauChow » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Greetings to all,

I experienced the same issues as all and decided recently to open my Akai MPD32 to implement the mod. When opening the box a cable with a blue ribbon coming from the little screen fell loose and I never got to see where the connection was going. In the screen green plaque it is connected to CON2 and then it´s loose leaving me without a clue where the other end fits.

I sent Akai a mail asking about this but they didn´t come back at me so I am with my hands tied on the matter. I Kindly ask if anyone of you could point me out the solution for this either telling me where the connection goes or maybe where can I find a diagram of the inside connections.

Thank you very much for the attention.

nafe

Post by nafe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 am

did the mod, works brilliantly, breathed new light into the mpd32, thanks for the tip

NicolauChow

Post by NicolauChow » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 am

Greetings to all,

I experienced the same issues as all and decided recently to open my Akai MPD32 to implement the mod. When opening the box a cable with a blue ribbon coming from the little screen fell loose and I never got to see where the connection was going. In the screen green plaque it is connected to CON2 and then it´s loose leaving me without a clue where the other end fits.

I sent Akai a mail asking about this but they didn´t come back at me so I am with my hands tied on the matter. I Kindly ask if anyone of you could point me out the solution for this either telling me where the connection goes or maybe where can I find a diagram of the inside connections.

Thank you very much for the attention.
Maybe if You reading this thread are planning to do the mod you could pain attention when you open the Akai to check out that blue ribbon I am talking about. It´s not so difficult it comes from the little green board in the screen area connecting to CON2.

I really would appreciate it. :wink:

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Yoooo! Just finished the mod on a new mpd 32 (my old one died, but it'd had a long, full life!) and it's the truth people! I LOVE the pads now, and can only wish I'd known about this method a few years ago when I was using the mpd 24 exclusively.

Props to you again hiphopdontstop!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:14 pm

fuckin-a. I LOVE HEARING of the success all you guys have.

THANKS FOR TRYING THE MOD! Keep spreading the word!

dezai

Post by dezai » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:12 am

I also have a padkontrol and MPD32 so I was in the exact situation as you, HHDS. Loved the PK's pads, but didn't like the size of the pads and lack of controls compared to the MPD.

Saw this thread a while back but was wary of cracking the mpd open...should've done it earlier. Anyone unsatisfied with the way you have to bang on the MPD should try this mod. I'm not adept at taking things apart, but this was extremely easy to do and it works a charm.

Thanks for the tip! :D

NicolauChow

Post by NicolauChow » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:52 am

Greetings,

I like all the success stories also but can someone give me some help for my issue so I can complete the mod? :roll: It isn´t difficult as I posted earlier.

Thank you very much for the attention and your time

dezai

Post by dezai » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:36 am

NicholauChow, I don't know exactly what cable you're talking about. I didn't remove any ribbon cables when doing the mod. I took this pic which may help, but I don't know...

Hope you figure it out.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:48 am

Has anyone compared the previous AKAI pads with an LPD8? I don't see any problem with it compared to a trigger finger and nanoPAD I've used but I'm not too picky about velocity sensitivity anyways, does the LPD8 need this mod or has AKAI caught on with this one?

georgeblunt

Post by georgeblunt » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:49 pm

Awesomeness! Just did this with my MPD24. Thanks alot for this great tip. Works flawlessly. :)

You can see two of my wip photos (the added stashes of tape) in my flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bestform/s ... 47/detail/

Greetings,
Matthias

ocdizzle

Post by ocdizzle » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:18 am

outershpongolia wrote:Has anyone compared the previous AKAI pads with an LPD8? I don't see any problem with it compared to a trigger finger and nanoPAD I've used but I'm not too picky about velocity sensitivity anyways, does the LPD8 need this mod or has AKAI caught on with this one?

I just got an LPD8 and have noticed the pads take much more force to trigger than the nanoPAD.

im going to try the mod tonight. will report back.