RIP Technics

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ernene

Re: RIP Technics

Post by ernene » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:59 pm

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:11 pm

ChiDJ wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:honestly, nope, educate me?

I have a 1200 and a TTX. the TTX spins up a bit faster, has a reverse button, you can control the speed up and down rates, it has line level out, you can change bpm without pitch shifting, lots of bells and whistles.

from what I've read is that if you get used to a TTX and show up to a place with 1200s you lose the skill to do that stuff by hand.

embarrass me. ;)

The beauty of the 1200 is in it's simplicity it does what it does and it's built like a tank. Kinda like those Steel Tonka Toys I use to have as a kid. Built to last. Built to be consistent. It just does what it does and never lets you down. Kinda like a Bro. I guess it's nostalgia.
what makes a technics technically really special... is the fact that they had for i think about over 3 decades a patent that run out (i am not 100% sure but i think it was about 5-6years ago?), the patent was that the actual motor is a special construction which made the platter a part of it... compared to a motor with a spindle and a platter attached to the spindle, like vestax PDX series turntables, e.g.... that has lead to a totally different physical behaviour when you pitch bend with your fingers along the platter, making a technics the most unique and unmatched turntable, no pdx or ttx or whatever... manages to get close to that physical behaviour while mixing and manually correcting the pitch bend...
yet they have a higher pitch range, reverse, etc. extras that don't make up for the loss of the actual physical platter behaviour.

even after the patent run out, companies like stanton, e.g. started to use the same motor / platter all in one construction... but again all companies made all the same mistake... they forgot the second speciality about a technics: the pure and utter mega heavy platter weighting a ton...
again leading to an utter unique and needed behaviour, not matched.

that second aspect, is amazingly not often understood, otherwise many companies would built something like a technics,
since the motor patent run out.
jamos wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
finally!, what took em' so long to let the dinosaur die? can't wait for the day they disappear in clubs entirely.

10 out of 10 for being a total troll.
yeah, that is why i know shit! i never touched a turntable.

i still like em' to disappear in clubs, thou... and making room for mega digi mayhem. a la 2010.

cheers

and anyways, they will be around as long as i live, that is for sure...
*** Image GAFM ***

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:40 am

Clarification came from Panasonic UK to squash rumours. And It's not what you might think. So here goes - the 1200MK5 and 1210MK5 WILL be discontinued leaving the 1210MK5G as the top of the range and most definitely NOT discontinued. It never was a limited edition, just a flagship special edition model. And the 1200 and 1210 MK2 will continue as normal. So now there's some distance between the MK2 and MK5G models instead having a middle MK5 deck to confuse matters. So it's vanilla Technics or the more expensive piano black extra pitched blue light luxury model left in the range.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:46 am

SubFunk wrote:what makes a technics technically really special... is the fact that they had for i think about over 3 decades a patent that run out (i am not 100% sure but i think it was about 5-6years ago?), the patent was that the actual motor is a special construction which made the platter a part of it... compared to a motor with a spindle and a platter attached to the spindle, like vestax PDX series turntables, e.g.... that has lead to a totally different physical behaviour when you pitch bend with your fingers along the platter, making a technics the most unique and unmatched turntable, no pdx or ttx or whatever... manages to get close to that physical behaviour while mixing and manually correcting the pitch bend...
yet they have a higher pitch range, reverse, etc. extras that don't make up for the loss of the actual physical platter behaviour.

even after the patent run out, companies like stanton, e.g. started to use the same motor / platter all in one construction... but again all companies made all the same mistake... they forgot the second speciality about a technics: the pure and utter mega heavy platter weighting a ton...
again leading to an utter unique and needed behaviour, not matched.
you're saying they feel differently? they're both direct drive turntables, the patent that Technics held. when it comes to feel, it feels great to do a scratch then hit the reverse switch and do the same routine backwards.

the 1200 is apple pie, comfort food, a classic but the whole topic is bogus anyway.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

citizenchris099

Post by citizenchris099 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:15 pm

funny thing happened when I was trying to explain to my gf why this was kinda of a sad announcement. I explained to her briefly why the 1200s were important yada yada. how its hard to find gear as well made as a 1200. this went on for a bit then she interrupts me with "but you haven't used your turntables in ages."
have to admit....I didn't have much to say to that.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:01 pm

Anyone got an update on this? I called Panasonic today and they were pretty non-informative. They said that the analog turntables were still on their website, but if I was concerned about them being discontinued that I should check their site often. This answer seemed like total BS to me... the person on the phone was very nice, but I don't think they fully understood my question, and I also think they weren't really aware of what the Technics brand is.

Updates anyone?

dum

Post by dum » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:47 pm

funky shit wrote:
Clarification came from Panasonic UK to squash rumours. And It's not what you might think. So here goes - the 1200MK5 and 1210MK5 WILL be discontinued leaving the 1210MK5G as the top of the range and most definitely NOT discontinued. It never was a limited edition, just a flagship special edition model. And the 1200 and 1210 MK2 will continue as normal. So now there's some distance between the MK2 and MK5G models instead having a middle MK5 deck to confuse matters. So it's vanilla Technics or the more expensive piano black extra pitched blue light luxury model left in the range.

this.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:21 am

like to know m'self

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:58 am

I wouldn’t say that analog is dead but there’s a lot of digital products on the market that can do the same thing.
play records?

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Playing off vinyl is always going to be more exciting. You are constantly on the edge of total failure. Risk vs Reward.

Technics will never die. Because they don't. Mine are 20 yrs old and they could pass as new. An iconic product that is actually also supremely functional. You don't see that every day.

Reversoulmusic

Post by Reversoulmusic » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Give me 1100s any day , pitch control was small little rotary knobs and was in the front around where the light currently is on the 1200s

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:20 pm

"...Tiesto how he’s abandoned the ‘outdated’ medium in favour and gone for the ease and accessibility of digital tune libraries. Indeed, the new (and might we just say super-sexy) CDJ-2000s from Pioneer look to be making things easier than ever before with USB stick functionality, employed just last weekend by another digital convert Sasha.."

Tiesto and sasha? arent theese the guys where every record they play sounds the same and this since a decade?
or am i mixing them up with some other BU´s? ..easy tp convert i guess..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dahlailama

Post by dahlailama » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:42 pm

Take a look i have found this on the japanese webside from panasonic. I wondering because i have never seen it on the european market and on the european side from panasonic. but since 2008 the mk6 is available japanese market.

http://panasonic.jp/technics/products/1 ... index.html

:mrgreen:

???????????D?D??????
SL-1200MK6-K??????????

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 pm

that is under a different name available in europe since a few years...

i had those in our club.

maybe those are a tiny upgrade, but it looks like nothing real major changed... maybe just the quartz? :lol:

p.s. the pitch lock at zero button is placed totally freakin' stoopid, how often you lock it by accident with your hand in the heat of action is not funny... a real shit design that is. it should be placed a notch up.
*** Image GAFM ***

dahlailama

Post by dahlailama » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Are you sure with the different name? :roll:
You mean the mk3d or mk5? They are looking similar. Or have i missing out something :?:
I haven't saw it in a club before when i make music.

Take a look to product history. Maybe then tell me the different name.
http://panasonic.jp/technics/history/index.html

Yep, i know that with the pitch lock at zero. :mrgreen:
i aquired me over the years to make pitch corrections in the mix across the pitchfader. this have a little nice pitchbend effect. currently near or by the picht lock is this a benefit. a minimal range from the pitchfader does it mostly. betimes you must make corrections with the hand. with a little flair goes this.