about to get 1st. mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
swett

about to get 1st. mac

Post by swett » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:04 am

Getting a macbook pro.
What do I need to know concerning operating system/Ableton compatability?

Is refurbished the way to go?
Is apple care a must?
Is Logic the bomb?

Thanks,
B.
Last edited by swett on Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

funky shit

Re: about to get 1st. mac

Post by funky shit » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:05 am

swett wrote:Is Logic the bomb?
1000 times no.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:12 am

swett wrote: Is refurbished the way to go?
Fuck.
No.

Is apple care a must?
Fuck.
Yes.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:13 am

funky shit wrote:
1000 times no.
Why? your reasons?

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:10 am

Check this out: Mac Rumors Buying Guide:
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
MacBook Pro:
"Buy only if you need it, approaching the end of a cycle."

Apple is readying its next generation of MacBook Pros. When these are released you will save BIG on the previous generation models (the ones being sold now). I saved $700 by following this strategy.

Keep checking MacRumors for updates on MacBook Pro release dates (slight chance this will be before Christmas, but probably after). Once the new ones are announced, go to the apple Store website & click on the "Clearance" link for the previous models.

Yes to Apple Care; but you have up to one year from the date of your laptop purchase to buy it, so it doesn't have to be part of your initial cost for your laptop.

Refurbished can be ok, it's still under warranty & you can get Apple Care for it. At least if you do get a refurb you will have excellent customer support from Apple if there are any issues.

But the clearance models represent the absolute best deal in Mac land, but you have to time your purchase with Apple's release schedule.

Logic has some nice things going for it.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:06 am

the girl next door wrote:
funky shit wrote:
1000 times no.
Why? your reasons?
Its nothing compared to Live.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:45 am

swett wrote:Getting a macbook pro.
why?
swett wrote:Is apple care a must?
yes but don't smoke anywhere within 50 feet of your computer because you will void your warranty!

crofter

Post by crofter » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:41 am

Don't forget to get the optional mac-twat attachment so you can act superior to all the PC folks, mac owners all seem to have it.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:48 am

bought a refurbed G5 as my first mac and it still works.. saved a few hundred.
bought a macbook refurbed.. saved another few hundred..
bought a mac pro refurbed.. dual quad core.. saved $1400..

all still work and have no complaints at all.. whatever the reason it got sent back was fixed and when i received it, it was basically brand new with full warranty...

lastly, once you go Mac, you'll never go back..

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:21 am

Computer manufacturers are always working on the next, bigger, better, more powerful machine, even when you buy the latest model on the first day of release, the next model is already almost in prototype and ready for testing etc, so if you use the fear factor of 'don't buy now, wait for later when xyz is coming out' then you'll NEVER update.

Having said this, there are some specific times when it makes sense to wait, such as when Macs changed over from PowerPC to Intel.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:39 am

swett wrote:Is apple care a must?
Oh no no no... Macs never ever ever ever break or have any problems of any kind whatsoever.. they actually just ship the old ones off to call center startups in 3rd world countries.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:28 am

I always wonder why everyone gets apple care, Arent macs supposed to be more reliable and sturdier. Maybe its the type of owner. You can usually tell a pretentious oaf if he is carrying round a mac . I own one by the way and i think mac zealots are the scum of the earth. Nice computers though.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:34 am

Emissary wrote:I always wonder why everyone gets apple care, Arent macs supposed to be more reliable and sturdier. Maybe its the type of owner. You can usually tell a pretentious oaf if he is carrying round a mac . I own one by the way and i think mac zealots are the scum of the earth. Nice computers though.
I carry round my iMac everywhere, great for Starbucks. You think this makes me look pretentious? Really?
crofter wrote:Don't forget to get the optional mac-twat attachment so you can act superior to all the PC folks, mac owners all seem to have it.
Butthurt?

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:36 am

i never get care on anything, and funny nothing has ever broken down on me...ive been lucky. But get the mac already, you know you already decided that you are, now the next step is just go out the door, get in the car, and go get it.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:45 am

dazzer wrote:
Emissary wrote:I always wonder why everyone gets apple care, Arent macs supposed to be more reliable and sturdier. Maybe its the type of owner. You can usually tell a pretentious oaf if he is carrying round a mac . I own one by the way and i think mac zealots are the scum of the earth. Nice computers though.
I carry round my iMac everywhere, great for Starbucks. You think this makes me look pretentious? Really?
What a typically mac owner pretentious thing to say. As i said I own a Macbook, awesome little computer, but mac owners are invariably cockwhips