Switching from Windows/Cubase to Mac/Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Carl F Leiber

Switching from Windows/Cubase to Mac/Live

Post by Carl F Leiber » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:24 pm

Hello,

I'm currently switching from PC to Mac. I've always used Cubase to write songs; right now I've over 200gigabytes on complete songs and idea's in Cubase *.cpr-format. Ofcourse I'm not going to throw this away. Do you have any suggestions? Do you have tips?

NeoMetric

Re: Switching from Windows/Cubase to Mac/Live

Post by NeoMetric » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:31 pm

dont buy a mac
Virus Classic, Nord Lead 2, MPD32, Launchpad

Carl F Leiber

Post by Carl F Leiber » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Thank you for your tip, but I don't want to go that way.

Anybody else?

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:21 pm

I did it in two steps.
In 2005 I switched from Cubase to Live 5.
Later in 2006 I switched to Mac.
Tips? Export your work as audio (all tracks) at the maximum resolution possible
and import them in Live (in this case Arrangement View would be the better option
being Cubase a linear sequencer). Alternatively if you can, export the MIDI files.
Remember that what will be read for sure in Live will be MIDI notes,MIDI Velocity
and MIDI CC. Again I would go to Arrangement View. Live is not as good as Cubase in
importing MIDI Files and split them to individual tracks but with some work it can be done.
This what I have done 4 years ago. Long, boring but to be done only once. :D

- Enjoy Live!
- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Cubase works on a Mac - it's cross platform like Live. You don't have to discard it and you might find it useful to keep it around for some things. I own both Cubase 5 and Live 7 and make both of their strengths work for me.

If Live had .omf import/export like Cubase/Logic/Sonar etc you'd be able to just transfer across much of the project intact (except for automation) but it doesn't.

So basically, you're left with what Pasha suggested. Export MIDIs wherever possible so you can use them inside your vst/au plugins hosted within Live otherwise export your audio files and import them into Live.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Carl F Leiber

Post by Carl F Leiber » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Hmm, the combination of the two programs on my Mac is a pretty good idea, but I really want to buy Cubase, because I'm definitely buying Live. That would be too expensive, i guess. Or are you talking about a 'free' version?

I guess it will be a lot of work, one way or another. I'm quite sick of my Windows-machine. I hope it's going to be worth all the malheur!

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Carl F Leiber wrote:Hmm, the combination of the two programs on my Mac is a pretty good idea, but I really want to buy Cubase, because I'm definitely buying Live. That would be too expensive, i guess. Or are you talking about a 'free' version?

I guess it will be a lot of work, one way or another. I'm quite sick of my Windows-machine. I hope it's going to be worth all the malheur!
Sorry but maybe a typo made the phrase completely different...
I guess you do not want to buy Cubase again because you want to buy Live now.
In that case, you have to work in the transition and then is downhill...
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Well if you were previously using a version of Cubase which isn't legit and want to go legit, but are prioritizing Live, then export your MIDI and audio files. If you should buy Cubase later, it will still be able to read the audio files and MIDI data, just not the .als Live Set. If you were using a free version of Cubase like LE/AI4 which comes bundled with audio interfaces, mixers and MIDI devices etc, then it is cross platform (PC/Mac) too but I don't know about it's compatibility with windows 7 and snow leopard on mac, and it's cut down, so it doesn't give you .omf export/import.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Carl F Leiber

Post by Carl F Leiber » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:16 pm

@Pasha

Excuse you me, but you're right. I don't want to buy Cubase... Thanks.

@leedsquietman
I guess I'm going through a LOT of changes: from Pc to Apple, Cubase SX3 to Ableton Live and, yes, 'Free' to legit ;)

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Carl F Leiber wrote:@Pasha

Excuse you me, but you're right. I don't want to buy Cubase... Thanks.

@leedsquietman
I guess I'm going through a LOT of changes: from Pc to Apple, Cubase SX3 to Ableton Live and, yes, 'Free' to legit ;)
I took the plunge in 2005. In the beginning it was frustrating but now, if I look back, totally worth it.
I had to make the switch in two steps because the day I went out in November 2005 to look for a Mac (iBook)
at that time rumors were already consistent with the Intel switch. So I stopped and waited for the 2nd gen Macbook.
Today you're in a better position because apart Snow Leopard and the beginning of the 64 bit transition you
should be safe and can do all in one step. I recommend (but wait for others comment too) to choose an audio
interface that uses Coreaudio / Coremidi. In this way no drivers are needed and you'll save time and frustrations.
However the high end Audio Interfaces come with their drivers (somewhat broken in Snow Leopard) so ask the pro
on this forum before making a buying decision.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1

Carl F Leiber

Post by Carl F Leiber » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:17 pm

I recently bought a MacBook Pro from two generations ago, for a very very low price. I need a good computer for my work as some sort of multimedia-designer. I bought Windows 7 for only 18 euro's, because I'm also a teacher. I expected it to be awesome in comparison to WinXP, but no... The look&feel are awfull, and it's just the same as always: my machine making noise, errors etc etc.

I'm quite serious, to be honest: I'm thinking about bying een iMac.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:23 am

Carl F Leiber wrote:I recently bought a MacBook Pro from two generations ago, for a very very low price. I need a good computer for my work as some sort of multimedia-designer. I bought Windows 7 for only 18 euro's, because I'm also a teacher. I expected it to be awesome in comparison to WinXP, but no... The look&feel are awfull, and it's just the same as always: my machine making noise, errors etc etc.

I'm quite serious, to be honest: I'm thinking about bying een iMac.
If I were you, I'd give another chance to Windows 7.
Are you sure your PC is up2date? Check 64 bit drivers and overall configuration.
I heard very good stories on Windows 7 on this forum.
However,I got a June 2008 iMac and it rocks. Good choice if you'll decide to make it happen. Last generation iMac are on a big discount in shops and chance is that they still have Leopard on board.
I did not upgrade to Snow Leopard on purpose, still on Leopard 11.5.6 because Live wasn't still certified for that. Tests are going and it should be at least time for a 100% compatibility announcement.
Now Snow Leopard has taken some updates as well so I expect it to be solid even if people
report some glitch here and there. Staying in Live Suite entirely you run into less risks having to check one piece of software only.
Again, beware the drivers of your audio card: not all drivers released are a Snow Leopard Version.

- Good Luck,
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:18 am

finish al your songs in cubase and make them AIFF,s.
Then buy a mac and live and start making new songs (or remix the old AIFF,s)
I know you get new inspiration from working with live.