Vocals Recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
milfhuntr

Vocals Recording

Post by milfhuntr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Anyone know the proper settings and effects to put in a male vocal track and make it sit in the mix?

Fredddy

Re: Vocals Recording

Post by Fredddy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:46 pm

It realllly depends on a lot of factors.
The room, the singer, the singers voice and articulation, which mic, which preamp etc etc etc

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:17 pm

No such thing as proper settings and we're lucky it ain't that easy.

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 pm

milfhuntr wrote:Anyone know the proper settings and effects to put in a male vocal track and make it sit in the mix?
A decent mic should be all you need, maybe some compression.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:46 pm

set the compressor to pi.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:34 pm

There's no such thing as an easy button.

Get a good mic and preamp. Mic it up correctly, making sure your levels are reasonable without clipping.

Then apply any effects as required. One good tool for cheap is Voxengo's Voxformer vocal strip plugin with 2 compressors, (one can be set to de-ess) gating, saturation etc and it has some good presets which you can further tweak to suit. Otherwise, typically EQ, compression, and usually some kind of reverb/delay and/or light modulation effect.

A good investment is Bobby Owsinski's 'The Mixing Engineer's Handbook (2nd edition)' which gives very accessible descriptions on arrangement, elements of a mix (width, depth, etc), frequency tips, delay charts, and a description of common FX, what they do and a pointer on how they can be used, and other information such as dynamics, headroom, audio file formats, mixing for surround sound etc. With lots of interviews from famous mixers such as Andy Johns, Allen Sides,Kevin Killen, Ed Stasium, John X, Joe Chicarelli, Bruce Swedien etc.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:06 pm

I smell a troll tbh, his posts so far add up a little bit too far towards abes forum baiting. Am I wrong? Telll me I'm wrong. i want to BE wrong.

But I dont think I am.

or am I.

8O

posssu

Post by posssu » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Like said above, there's no easy-button. But one thing I did realize when I started make more music with vocals was that when I mixed the music to sound good and THEN added vocals, I almost needed to rethink my mix. Vocals usually need space in the middle and if you don't have the vocal track when mixing the instruments, it's hard to tell if you're leaving enough place. Leaving room in the middle can mean that you mix stuff to sides and it can also mean you need to EQ some stuff in the middle that fight with the vocals.

Just to make a really stupid conclusion, I'll say the following: if you want the vocals to sit in the mix, they need a chair.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 pm

UKRuss wrote:I smell a troll tbh, his posts so far add up a little bit too far towards abes forum baiting. Am I wrong? Telll me I'm wrong. i want to BE wrong.

But I dont think I am.

or am I.

8O
I just think Mr. Huntr likes to bypass any interweb-accepted niceties, like introducing himself, giving us some insight into his background, views, specifics on what he's trying to acheive, etc...and just prefers to get right down to it.

Maybe that's how he hunts his milfs?

Maybe they like it?

8O

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:57 pm

To the OP: You might get more pointed responses by posting a sample of the music and then asking a similiar question.

Or, even better yet, why not ask one of the talented folk here in the forum to mix the tune for you. Cough up a some bucks and have them provide you with the entire project once complete. There are some folk here who definitely know their shit and might be willing to assist you.

Now you don't have to go that route if you don't want to. But it's a hell of a shortcut. After you get the results back take it apart like a forensic scientist and try to figure out what they did; how they did it; and most importantly, WHY they did it. Keep in mind, you might be amazed at what individual tracks in a mix sound like when solo'ed after an expereinced enigineer finishes the mix.

I've said it before and it bears repeating, for all the money I see people spend on systems and software I'm always surprised at how little is spent on learning how to use these tools properly. As always, ymmv...

the girl next door

Post by the girl next door » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:12 pm

I have an SPL Channel one Tube Mic amp... its great and easy to use/program, good results.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:48 pm

the girl next door wrote:I have an SPL Channel one Tube Mic amp... its great and easy to use/program, good results.
Don't forget its amazing 'levitate' function. Always comes in handy :)

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:15 am

UncleAge wrote:To the OP: You might get more pointed responses by posting a sample of the music and then asking a similiar question.

Or, even better yet, why not ask one of the talented folk here in the forum to mix the tune for you. Cough up a some bucks and have them provide you with the entire project once complete. There are some folk here who definitely know their shit and might be willing to assist you.

Now you don't have to go that route if you don't want to. But it's a hell of a shortcut. After you get the results back take it apart like a forensic scientist and try to figure out what they did; how they did it; and most importantly, WHY they did it. Keep in mind, you might be amazed at what individual tracks in a mix sound like when solo'ed after an expereinced enigineer finishes the mix.

I've said it before and it bears repeating, for all the money I see people spend on systems and software I'm always surprised at how little is spent on learning how to use these tools properly. As always, ymmv...
WWW.headscrewsentertainment.com :D