Upgrading to a newer computer question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rlwilliams

Upgrading to a newer computer question

Post by rlwilliams » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:24 am

I'm upgrading from a G4 Tiger to a G5 Leopard. The G4 has a hard drive with only music applications such as Ableton Live 6.0, Reason 3.0, etc. and various commercial and free plugins. What do you suggest would be the best transition to change everything over. I've never used the Migration Assistant in OSX. Does Migration Assistant transfer over the registration codes, etc. for all of the program/applications involved? Should I just start from scratch and load everything individually to have a FRESH computer?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I want to save time, but more importantly I want my system to be right and not have to backtrack to fix things later.

Thanks.

nuxnamon

Re: Upgrading to a newer computer question

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:46 am

i would avoid the G5 (if you can)!! not that it's not a great machine, but it's an old technology that is will soon not be supported anymore.. I had a G5 and it was a great machine but the difference between IBM PPC processors and Intel processors are night and day from my experience. if it's being given to you, that's another story and consider it a great upgrade from your G4.. but if your buying a used G5, save your money and get a refurbed intel macbook or something. my G5 was on it's last legs and it just became counter productive dealing with all the audio drops and such.. again, that was my experience and maybe you run less tracks and use different plugs, so it may vary with you..

usa_ray

Post by usa_ray » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:54 am

Thanks for your insight. I was thinking of buying a powermac g5 but the new imac is looking pretty tasty now.

penfolder

Post by penfolder » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:00 pm

go for the new iMac if home based studio

keep running the G4 tho [its a proper little workhorse]
P[P]