HOLY CRAP. Audi-midi no brainers on Monday are...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evernaut

Re: HOLY CRAP. Audi-midi no brainers on Monday are...

Post by evernaut » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:43 pm

nq wrote:
the sound demos on xils' website doesn't do the synth the justice it deserves. the synth itself still has some quirks such as small clicks while changing presets or an akward to program sequencer, but the sound is really good.
I'm sure they don't ( why do really good software companies shoot themselves in the feet at the last stage by letting some clueless fuckwits record their demos for them? I'd never buy any guitar amp sims, for instance, after listening to the truly awful hair metal or generic blues wankery audio demos they always choose...)

Anyway - pet hates aside - I'm peachy keen to see what XILS can do. The only soft synths that have ever made me sit up and rub my eyes have been the Arturia stuff and Zebra. Oh, and Automat. Let's hope it's in that league.

nq

Post by nq » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:40 pm

jon_moore wrote:
nq wrote:
evernaut wrote:I was quite stoked about the EMS VCS3 synth-a-like...until I heard the audio demos on their site :?

I've used the real thing quite a bit, and they don't sound remotely like the fat, quirky, wailing, crunchy beast that I know & love.

I may drop the meagre bills on it anyway and hope that the way I'd use it would be nothing like those tracks.

As for the BT...never liked any of their plugs before...mebbe this is a step-up?

Still, fab deals regardless.
the sound demos on xils' website doesn't do the synth the justice it deserves. the synth itself still has some quirks such as small clicks while changing presets or an akward to program sequencer, but the sound is really good.
One of the benefits of ugrading to the full version is that you can then program the sequencer directly with mouse clicks. It's definitely worth getting to grips with the step sequencer as you can use it in many different and unique ways. The modulation matrix and the step sequencer in tandem makes for a powerful combination.
is there a version available, that allows mouse editing on the sequencer? i've been waiting for this feature, since it was released a couple of months ago

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 pm

im loving the matrix mixer. . i hope this "no brainer" brings more attention to this near-forgotten synthesizer technique.. (just wish the gui was a little bigger - my eyes hurt).

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:12 pm

nq wrote:
is there a version available, that allows mouse editing on the sequencer? i've been waiting for this feature, since it was released a couple of months ago
yep, 1.1 introduced mouse editing on the sequerncer
JM

http://leftside-wobble.blogspot.com/

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 am

evernaut wrote:I was quite stoked about the EMS VCS3 synth-a-like...until I heard the audio demos on their site :?

I've used the real thing quite a bit, and they don't sound remotely like the fat, quirky, wailing, crunchy beast that I know & love.

I may drop the meagre bills on it anyway and hope that the way I'd use it would be nothing like those tracks.
Fuck!!

Just got it and within the first 10 minutes I was astounded. Just as completely nuts as I hoped it would be...

Gonna get stuck in tomorrow and really see what it's capable of, but my instincts tell me that they've done a great job here. It's dirty, unpredictable and hard to control...as it should be :)

Very impressed so far - all doubts put aside for now 8)

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:04 am

evernaut wrote: It's dirty, unpredictable and hard to control...as it should be :)
Couldn't have put it better myself... This beast is alive!
JM

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)

Motion

Post by Motion » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Had the XILS 3 since its official release....anyone who wants VCS3 and a lot lot more this is brainless cash.Its for me the best emu of this revered old Putney...despite the LE which is by itself extensive in its feature set, Xils-Lab are also giving a very generous upgrade path to the full machine which has also been dropped from the original price.....the behaviour and life that Xavier Oudin has created with XILS 3 is quite extraordinary.When you wind the XILS 3 up....it breathes, screams, squelches and drfts all over the place if you want it to.It can do some of the weirdest, wildest sounds that the VCS3 is renowned for and all with that distinctive character, its also full of blippy blurpy goodness and XILS 3 nails it there too imho.Want those famous Pink Floyd "on the run" and all those other atmospheres and similar fall out of it as well as no end of other cool sonic oddities....Its an experimenters delight and throws up no end of surprises.

I hope maybe a lot more people adopt the delights of this crazy synth full of unique idiosyncrasies and join the club.

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Yep, I had to get it too.
It really is a nice sounding synth.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Yeah this synth sounds fantastic. Has a similar weight/roundness as the Arturia stuff. Killer.

So, I'd need to upgrade to the full version in order to edit the step sequencer, right? How else would you edit it other than with the mouse? I'm sure it's worth the upgrade and the price is great, I'm just wondering how the sequencer works.

jon_moore

Post by jon_moore » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:59 pm

anybody human wrote:Yeah this synth sounds fantastic. Has a similar weight/roundness as the Arturia stuff. Killer.

So, I'd need to upgrade to the full version in order to edit the step sequencer, right? How else would you edit it other than with the mouse? I'm sure it's worth the upgrade and the price is great, I'm just wondering how the sequencer works.
You enter events in the sequencer using the area highlighted in yellow (it's based on a sequencer EMS produced in the seventies - more info at http://www.thesynthi.de/ ), although you can enter note data with your midi keyboard.

Download the manual for full details: http://www.xils-lab.com/pages/Download-installer.html

The sequencer is about far more than note entry though (one of the most powerful step sequencers I've encountered). It has a modulation matrix all of it's own!
JM

MacBook Pro 2.8 (10.5.6)

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:13 pm

yea, to use step recording into the sequencer from midi-input, set the switches up like this:

to step-record...

and to playback sequence via keyboard (pitched)...

Last edited by siliconarc on Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:35 pm

Aha. Thanks guys. Diving in right now. Thanks.

esky

Post by esky » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:20 am

Bought Breverb and Track Box and for this price (3,21€ and 10,22€) this is definitly a recommendation...!!!