Rewards for people that help out on the forum

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Help the people that help us?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Reward these good people!
64%
They don't derserve it!
36%

Total votes: 39

Green Lemon

Re: Rewards for people that help out on the forum

Post by Green Lemon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:06 pm

john doe by choice wrote:
Green Lemon wrote:Sorry, stupid idea :| .
See, you would fall under the category of "people who know they wouldn't win" so there's no need for you to "act like a polite adult". Anyway, no one's asking you to change yourself, this seems to be more about incentive for people who help to keep coming back.

As for accusations on the part of Ableton, the only people who would even be in that position are prospective "winners" (if anything would be given out in the first place), and those guys don't seem the type to argue about that kind of stuff.

Sub, I don't think it would change anything that drastically, just encourage people to up their game a little, and there's nothing wrong with that. As it is, a lot of people have an undeserved reputation based strictly on post count, and that's bullshit too.

Yeah, I guess I could kind see the idea of having some kind of user helpfulness rating, in addition to or instead of post count. But that still gets right into a popularity contest, and seems only really useful to help newcomers decide whose voice to trust in getting advice. And I still can't see any current problem with people getting good advice around here, very quickly, from multiple people, and thoroughly vetted- if you post something thats wrong, you can bet that someone will pick it up pronto! So the even the need isn't there. Its funny, but because this place is such a cesspool, a lot of smart people hang out here, and questions get answered. No need for coupons or points.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:09 pm

john doe by choice wrote:Maybe just remove the prize from the equation (I don't see that ever happening anyway, TBH) - but to be able to give certain users status points for helping, there's nothing wrong with that - that in itself is rewarding, as people would be more likely, to, say, check out the paid tutorial links in their signatures, or something of that nature - in essence, giving the people who help most a small amount of advertising by stating that their community sees those people as helpful. Something like that would benefit everyone, period, no nagging over prizes or bullshit like that.

An example in COSM's case (or anyone who has something to sell online):

COSM has a high status count in comparison to others, which is visible in all of his posts - that encourages a new member of the forum to go to the links in COSM's signature, thus increasing the chance for income on COSM's part - a method like that could work for anyone in this forum, simply on possible increased revenue alone.

Yeah, OK, I'm still listening.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Green Lemon wrote:
john doe by choice wrote:
Green Lemon wrote:Sorry, stupid idea :| .
See, you would fall under the category of "people who know they wouldn't win" so there's no need for you to "act like a polite adult". Anyway, no one's asking you to change yourself, this seems to be more about incentive for people who help to keep coming back.

As for accusations on the part of Ableton, the only people who would even be in that position are prospective "winners" (if anything would be given out in the first place), and those guys don't seem the type to argue about that kind of stuff.

Sub, I don't think it would change anything that drastically, just encourage people to up their game a little, and there's nothing wrong with that. As it is, a lot of people have an undeserved reputation based strictly on post count, and that's bullshit too.

Yeah, I guess I could kind see the idea of having some kind of user helpfulness rating, in addition to or instead of post count. But that still gets right into a popularity contest, and seems only really useful to help newcomers decide whose voice to trust in getting advice. And I still can't see any current problem with people getting good advice around here, very quickly, from multiple people, and thoroughly vetted- if you post something thats wrong, you can bet that someone will pick it up pronto! So the even the need isn't there. Its funny, but because this place is such a cesspool, a lot of smart people hang out here, and questions get answered. No need for coupons or points.
what he said.
*** Image GAFM ***

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Green Lemon wrote:
john doe by choice wrote:Maybe just remove the prize from the equation (I don't see that ever happening anyway, TBH) - but to be able to give certain users status points for helping, there's nothing wrong with that - that in itself is rewarding, as people would be more likely, to, say, check out the paid tutorial links in their signatures, or something of that nature - in essence, giving the people who help most a small amount of advertising by stating that their community sees those people as helpful. Something like that would benefit everyone, period, no nagging over prizes or bullshit like that.

An example in COSM's case (or anyone who has something to sell online):

COSM has a high status count in comparison to others, which is visible in all of his posts - that encourages a new member of the forum to go to the links in COSM's signature, thus increasing the chance for income on COSM's part - a method like that could work for anyone in this forum, simply on possible increased revenue alone.

Yeah, OK, I'm still listening.
I'd guess there'd be nothing more to it than that, and a system like that would allow anyone to receive status based on individual posts. The only downside would be for people with really high post counts, but I don't see a whole lot of those with anything to offer in the way of ableton-related products for sale, so that probably wouldn't matter. And as far as popularity contests go, I just don't see anyone in here buying into that bullshit - should a system like this be put in place, I think it will be just as casual around here as anything else.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Honestly, most of the more helpful people on the forum are "probably" already getting something from Ableton in one way or another. They know who their helpful users are and take care of them, as do most manufacturers.

It's amazing how much free gear comes your way when you act professional (ie, do-gooder) and try to help people in a courteous way. You don't need a rating system on a forum for that, nor should it be something you expect. Treat people decently and stop talking like a drunk high-schooler, it's amazing where that can lead you.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Rave

Post by Rave » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:28 pm

Tarekith wrote:Honestly, most of the more helpful people on the forum are "probably" already getting something from Ableton in one way or another. They know who their helpful users are and take care of them, as do most manufacturers.

It's amazing how much free gear comes your way when you act professional (ie, do-gooder) and try to help people in a courteous way. You don't need a rating system on a forum for that, nor should it be something you expect. Treat people decently and stop talking like a drunk high-schooler, it's amazing where that can lead you.

Some people 'pretend' to be 'helpful' to attract business. In reality they are knuts.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:49 pm

why do people always want to form a government?
what you people are suggesting is just to for a government for the ableton forums!
that is retarded. just because things are not working the way you want them to for a few days, does not give anyone the right to create control. we are controlled enough in real life, we dont need control on the internet.

some things are better left to anarchy!
with anarchy, if the majority feel some one is doing something out of line they get scorned.
anarchy may not work in reel life but it is definitely better than a system full of tattle tales, suck up's, and brainy smurfs, that will post anything to get a prize.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

gjm

Post by gjm » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:28 pm

1. This place is first and foremost a social gathering. Without the opportunity to meet, there is no exchange.

2. Like any social gathering, people evaluate others based on impressions formed by overall conduct.

3. A wise person once said "Never judge a book by its cover."
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:29 pm

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:37 pm

nathannn wrote:why do people always want to form a government?
what you people are suggesting is just to for a government for the ableton forums!
that is retarded. just because things are not working the way you want them to for a few days, does not give anyone the right to create control. we are controlled enough in real life, we dont need control on the internet.

some things are better left to anarchy!
with anarchy, if the majority feel some one is doing something out of line they get scorned.
anarchy may not work in reel life but it is definitely better than a system full of tattle tales, suck up's, and brainy smurfs, that will post anything to get a prize.
Uh, what? Who said anything about government? I think you may be a tad paranoid, or just posting in the wrong thread - try this one:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130926

And FYI, things do need control on the internet, just as anywhere else - complete and utter chaos allows for a pretty bad element to settle in, no matter where you go. I agree that the "freedom" we have as people doesn't ever match up to our ideals, but regardless of that, there needs to be some sort of structure.

As for "a system full of tattle tales, suck up's, and brainy smurfs, that will post anything to get a prize", that is this forum, and the next forum, and everywhere on this planet, period, and it's naive to think that it's not that way, even though not everyone is like that.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:38 pm

knotkranky wrote:Image
THE BOOK WAS BETTER

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:40 pm

The story and premise was the only point.

Anarchy \m/

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Absolutely the worst idea for this forum ever posted.
Kill me now.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:46 pm

no, there's been worse, I'm sure