trigger scenes without triggering all clips?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
shaneotis720

trigger scenes without triggering all clips?

Post by shaneotis720 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:23 am

Hello,

Wondering if there is a way to trigger a scene without triggering all clips that are set up in that scene? For example, I want to make a variation in a song with a certain theme. After a while, I'd like to add in a keyboard sound. Is there a way to set the keyboard sound clip to not trigger on scene playback and not play until I actually, purposefully trigger that scene and make it play? I'm hoping there is a way to do this... I have been making two separate scenes basically duplicating the scenes then adding one with an additional clip. Would be nice to save matrix real estate by being able to have a scene set to only trigger certain clips, then start playing and looping the other clips as you decide to add them on. Anyone know if this is currently possible?

Thanks
Shane

outershpongolia

Re: trigger scenes without triggering all clips?

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:10 am

I have this problem too.. I just duplicate and make a new scene.. Another work around would be to use the same scene, with the extra clip loaded in, and mute the track, or lower the volume once the scene is played.. But this is just more things to stay on top of and you probably won't remember to do this on time.

It'd be nice if one of the launch options (like trigger, toggle, gate, and the quantize options) for clips would be an option to "Not Launch on Scene Launch".. That way you could have these loops loaded in the scene, but they'd only trigger when you actually trigger it yourself, instead of the scene..

proteron

Post by proteron » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:56 am

Hrm, at first this sounded kind of unnecessary, but having it as a "Not Triggered On Scene Trigger" would be pretty awesome. I too end up making either 1) multiple scenes, adding in the pieces I want to build up or 2) additional scenes that have only my added clips and then remove the stop buttons from the other clips on the scene (or leave some in for a little different change, like replacing a track with another).

For most of that stuff I end up just recording a rough mix into arrangement view, triggering the stuff live in session view, then editing mistakes.. to me that has always been faster than scenes - but then i'm realizing some of my stuff is criminally simple. :)
--
chris (proteron)

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Add "Not Triggered on Scene Launch" to Live 9 feaure request thread? Just might have to.

rude_NHS

Post by rude_NHS » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:54 am

you could try this.

duplicate the scene but remove the clips you want to introduce later, then remove the stop buttons (ctl/apple + e) where those clips used to be, then mute the tracks of the clips in the previous scene as you launch the new scene, then you can bring them in later volume wise as they will still be playing from the previous scene.. does this make sense?

also, if you group tracks you can launch their clips as scenes independently of the scene launcher, so you could do a similar thing of removing the stop button in the new scene then trigger the old scenes as the new one is playing...