"Translate" audio to midi?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
kleine

Re: "Translate" audio to midi?

Post by kleine » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:36 pm

Hello,

I haven´t spend much time with the pitch~ external so far.
You might check if fiddle~ works better for you
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~tapel/software.html
Also, i think it´s possible to translate the pitch data to CC data as well.

best,
Christian

pid

Post by pid » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:53 pm

if you are on mac os x, you should really use "sigmund~" instead of fiddle~ / pitch~ - it is more up to date and more powerful. however, if you are having trouble understanding pitch~ then maybe wait a while before delving into sigmund~. (i successfully edited christian's patch for use with sigmund~). you can find the sigmund~ object here: http://crca.ucsd.edu/~tapel/software.html . the key to all these externals is playing with settings - you will understand pitch~ if you set up a patch where you can dynamically interact with all the threshold settings and the like. a small note - if you are brand new to max/msp, be patient and study all the tutorials! it took me ages before i could make sense of things like fiddle~!!!
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

mzed

Post by mzed » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:58 pm

It sounds like you have a rounding error. pitch~ reports a floating point midi note number. When it gets converted to an integer, it gets truncated. For example, if you play a C# that is slightly flat, pitch~ might output 60.99. Truncated, that becomes 60, or C-natural. Use the round object after pitch~ (or add 0.5, which works for positive numbers).

mz

qzs3ESc7

Post by qzs3ESc7 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Unfortunately (in this case) I am on Windows and can't try "sigmund~" ... (till anybody compiles it that way ... )

But thanks to all of you for your help and encouragement! ;-)

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:33 pm

kleine wrote:Here´s a quick attempt on pitchtracking:

1. download the pitch~ external from http://web.media.mit.edu/~tristan/maxmsp.html and
place it in your Max/Msp external folder

2. download my example set from http://tiny.cc/zJjBx

I hope this works for you.
It´s not very accurate yet and needs some finetuning...

Best,
Christian
Christian-
Thanks for pointing me to this, is there any way you could repost that example? It seems the link has expired.
best
Scott

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:19 am

Does that mean that with M4L it would e.g. be possible ...

- to enter MIDI-notes via singing into a microphone or playing the saxophone instead of having to draw the notes in the midi-editor?

- to sing and get the closest tone played on e.g. the piano to have a reference for ear-training/singing-training and perhaps even get an indicator of how wrong / off pitch I sing or play? (At the moment I'm using the TC-Helicon VoiceTone Correct for that purpose, but it doesn't have a midi out.)

If so, I'd buy M4L at once :D
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

pid

Post by pid » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:34 pm

@TheAnimal,

yes, it is totally possible. this stuff is very easy in max/msp, but not so easy in maxforlive. in maxforlive you need to deal with global send/receives and / or OSC, and these solutions involve an unpredictable tiny delay (up to as much as 10ms apparently) because of devices residing in different 'threads' (i think).

apparently, this is a limit of m4l v1, and there will be a more solid solution in m4l v2. so cyclings/abes have said.

hope that helps.
3dot... wrote: in short.. we live in disappointing times..

kleine

Post by kleine » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Here´s a new URL for the small pitchtracking example:
http://tinyurl.com/yf6kpx7

best,
Christian

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:11 am

kleine wrote:Here´s a new URL for the small pitchtracking example:

best,
Christian
Thanks, having fun with this so far! The send/receive object is very helpful. I can see that between pitch~, sigmund~ and fiddle~, there are many, many possibilities for pitch tracking, depending on the use and the instrument. Right now a gate before the tracking plugin seems to be a good way to minimize the tracking of noise. This is why Ben Neill uses a special pick up in the mouthpiece of his trumpet, in order to avoid picking up background noise. I think the hardware that he uses for pitch tracking is a Roland VS-20 (any Roland engineers on this thread? :)

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:42 am

exaltron wrote: This is why Ben Neill uses a special pick up in the mouthpiece of his trumpet, in order to avoid picking up background noise.
Probably a piezo that picks up the instruments vibrations only.
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:54 pm

kleine wrote:Here´s a new URL for the small pitchtracking example:

best,
Christian
Hi Christian,

Many thanks for the effort!
But can you please upload to another hosting service? I've been trying to get it - without a pro account - without any luck.

exaltron

Post by exaltron » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 pm

zigzag wrote: Hi Christian,

But can you please upload to another hosting service? I've been trying to get it - without a pro account - without any luck.
Hi, I was able to download without a pro account. I think they just try to steer you towards the paid service to get a "faster download". But if you look carefully there is an option for free downloading.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:43 pm

exaltron wrote:
zigzag wrote: Hi Christian,

Hi, I was able to download without a pro account. I think they just try to steer you towards the paid service to get a "faster download". But if you look carefully there is an option for free downloading.
Hello :)
I really tried the free option. All i get is
Currently a lot of users are downloading files. Please try again in 2 minutes or become a Premium member
I got this about 40 times now. I really don't think rapidshare is the place to share, particularly when they come from Ableton staff.
Just my 2$.

kleine

Post by kleine » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Right, i checked it and i also got this when trying to use the free option:
"Unfortunately right now our servers are overloaded and we have no more download slots left for non-members. Of course you can also try again later."
I´m sorry for this. I don´t have any hosting capabilities at hand.

best,
Christian

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Christian, if you can re-upload this and send me the link we wouldn't mind hosting it.
andreas.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.