Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mlee_aus

Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by mlee_aus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:58 am

In Computer Music 142 Charlie May of Spooky, who works with Sasha, notes that he has to bounce everythin out of Ableton Live and bring it into logic because "the summing engine just doesn't sound as good" This is like computer music mag is from August 2009 and is the drum and bass special.

You have to admit a lot of pros make this complaint. It's like non stop, almost makes you wonder.

Tone Deft

Re: Charlie May from Spooky bags the Ableton Sound Engine

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:00 am

can't think for yourself?

is Sasha told you that dick tasted good would you be out giving free blowjobs?

I suspect you would. :lol:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

d-track

Post by d-track » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:06 am

Tone Deft wrote:can't think for yourself?

:idea: :mrgreen:

d-track

Post by d-track » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:12 am

if ableton announced live 9 with pro sound engine.... nah... that would be a big slap 8O

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:58 am

Maybe he has a couple of quad cores. People want everything then suddenly Ableton is hogging 80 percent of your processor. Nah, I like it just fine like it is.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:49 am

There may actually be something to this, but if no one can prove it then it's probably still just placebo.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

mlee_aus

Post by mlee_aus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:53 am

You my friend are an Arse Hat! :wink:

I was just saying it makes you wonder, with all these comments, including the post regarding the Freemasons earlier. I myself don't give a shit because I use it with Logic and on it's own.

Ableton could do us all a favour and make a button in the preferences that switches it from "Live" mode to a "Composition" mode so we don't have to have all the computer resources taxed when we don't need to. Makes sense really.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:55 am

What I wonder is if Charlie May even has a dick at all, or is he really concealing a gaping vagina ?

Maybe that's what's 'Spooky' about him. :P
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

superistic

Post by superistic » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:33 am

It must be "slightly" annoying for the Ableton crew though.
You make imo a brilliant piece of software, that to my ears (and lots of others) sounds no different to any other daw and you still have the likes of Charlie May etc.. saying "the summing engine doesnt sound as good"

q.musgrove

Post by q.musgrove » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:43 am

lack of blind faith makes you a dick sucker!?
FAIL

It's TERRORIST you fucking fuck chops! Any one who don't have 100% faith in Ableton Live is a TERRORIST... God, get it straight.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:56 am

mlee_aus wrote:

You my friend are an Arse Hat! :wink:

I was just saying it makes you wonder, with all these comments, including the post regarding the Freemasons earlier. I myself don't give a shit because I use it with Logic and on it's own.

Ableton could do us all a favour and make a button in the preferences that switches it from "Live" mode to a "Composition" mode so we don't have to have all the computer resources taxed when we don't need to. Makes sense really.
you my friend are a n00b if you think this kind of bullshit is news and threadworthy. have you never seen one of these threads before? you admit that you read this kind of thing often, why is this news?

no, it does not make me think of audio quality discussions, it makes me think that people will always spout this crap and others will always fall for it. it also makes me think that Sasha is a dimwit that doesn't know how to use Live. it's a poor workman that blames his tools. (FWIW I'm a Sasha fan.)

Live has flaws, it has limitations, show proof or stfu and gtfo, this is lame. if you've been around a bit you'd know that. I love knowing where Live sucks, it helps me use it and in the course of those discussions I can learn more about audio.

rather than dumbing down Live for your use with a new mode, do what you already do, use more than one DAW and appreciate each for their strengths. put in a dumbed down mode and the people that hang on to slow computers will still complain, no

c'mon, let's elevate the conversation and not parrot what idiots say. dig?

superistic wrote:It must be "slightly" annoying for the Ableton crew though.
You make imo a brilliant piece of software, that to my ears (and lots of others) sounds no different to any other daw and you still have the likes of Charlie May etc.. saying "the summing engine doesnt sound as good"
yeah, but surely people have found true flaws which helps the Abes develop Live. they use it, they love it, they want it to sound great. it's 10 years of labor for them.

I'm always kinda bummed when this crap turns out to be just another bullshit report. it's fun to see the flaws, to do phase inversion tests to hear those nasty tidbits.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:02 am

I care more about getting synchronized basket weaving admitted as an Olympic Sport than I do about Charlie May's opinion.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:04 am

just for the record, charlie may is not sasha, but rather 1/2 of spooky and the guy that made some of the music that sasha stamped his name on.

spooky made a record in the mid 90's called "found sound" which is pretty amazing. they also did some more straight house kind of stuff which is not nearly as interesting in my opinion.

anyway, being talented does not preclude you from being a complete fuckwit.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:15 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnqO4fmvMyQ

this was my favorite track from their more straight first record, "gargantuan". unfortunately there isnt anything from "found sound" on you tube. god it sounds cheesy as hell now.

if charlie may can't make music this good anymore, it's not live's fault.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

rompling

Post by rompling » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:04 pm

:o Charlie May has been around since 92 on a professional level who has used contless DAW , and analog systems and embraced various tech in the dance music world I for one think he is more than entitled to his opinion but I this instance I think he`s wrong :)
Last edited by rompling on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !