Any ableton Live users in London?

Promote your gigs or events.
UKRuss

Re: Any ableton Live users in London?

Post by UKRuss » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:27 pm

:lol:

I had to go out again at lunchtime as well to an awards do....jut got back so I am feeling it now. early to bed for me tonight!

Nice to meet you all. Slatepipe (Andy, right?) you've definitely got to get a set together for next time!!!

Robb, yep that was me. Hope you like the CD, it's good hangover music, niiiiiice and melllloooowwww. :D

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:12 pm

UKRuss wrote:

Nice to meet you all. Slatepipe (Andy, right?) you've definitely got to get a set together for next time!!!
oh shit. yeh, i'll guess i'll go for february (ish) - im away in jan

cheers for the cd too mister, liking it

EliotShort

Post by EliotShort » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 pm

Ola fellow Users!

Last Ableton User Group meet at Hidden Away Electronic/Sapphire Lounge was creatively awesome :wink:
Big thanks to Dave for hosting us! And personally I really enjoyed playing along side Silverio, Russ(Nomse), Mindlobster(Martin) and those guys who dj'd after (I sadly didn't get around to meeting them).

In the end User Group discussions ended up being informal due to the nature of the evening, but on the other hand, as Martin pointed out in his email, it's so much better doing it than discussing it.

Having said that, there was not much more to discuss re the User Group, because we still haven't heard back from Ableton about our officialdom and Martin is still looking into venues for prac sessions. I think there is a an idea about getting together for a proper chat some time.

What did come up is how to infuse Hidden Away Electronic with a new lease of life.
How can we contribute musically to the evening and get more people to play?
How can we help market it, ie on our own myspace pages, facebook etc and get more people there?
What other creative ideas do we have brewing in our collective genius? :idea:

If anyone has ideas, please post them here or get in touch with Dave via:
http://www.myspace.com/hiddenawayelectronic

Keep well Users!
Eliot
http://www.eliotlloydshort.com
http://fleetingwoods.com

Nektar Impact LX25
15" MacBook Pro (2016)
Motu Audio Express
Berenger FCB1010

Gravis

Post by Gravis » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Hi guys

Firstly, great to meet some other Ableton enthusiasts and see you guys doing your thing! Eliot, loved the violin :D and to you guys bashing away on your launch pads, top work (how do you not get sore fingers?)

Slatepipe, Silveriofunk, UKRuss, Martin and i can't remember the name of the other guy i was talking to at the end (sorry! you had glasses on if that helps?), thanks for all coming down and seeing if we can actually get something happening. Cheers Dave for putting it on.

From what i've seen though and where i'd like to see it go, is more of a demonstration kind of night where we actually take each other through what we're doing/why we're doing it that way. From talking to you guys we all seem to have arrived at using live for different reasons (which is great) and i'm sure you guys have a ton of different ways of doing things than I do. From the sounds of it you guys aren't sold on Max4Live either so looks like i'll be the first one exploring that :)

Lastly, do I need to shave my head to be a part of this? ;)
iMac G5 2.16 | Echo AudioFire12 | Xone 92 | Live 8 + M4L | Trigger Finger | Monome 256 | Kenton Killamix Mini | Truth 3031A

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Gravis wrote:i can't remember the name of the other guy i was talking to at the end (sorry! you had glasses on if that helps?)
Hello. 8)
Gravis wrote:Lastly, do I need to shave my head to be a part of this? ;)
Yes. :mrgreen:

Anyway, like the ideas. I'm just starting to work on a live Live set with a LaunchPad in mind, but haven't yet worked out how I'm gonna do everything. So I'd defintely be interested in a forum where we all show each other what we're doing and get feedback and suggestions on how to take it further...
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Yes, you bloody hippy!

'I thought I told you to shave off those sideburns!' :D

Yes, I think the user group will take care of the demos side of things, Hidden Away will probably remain a live music night I guess.

Using the LP really made me realise how I was just scratching the surface, been doing all sorts with it this past few days. :D

Promoting the HA night is a difficult one, wednesday night...it is a great location though.

I think it would help greatly to get the flyers out sooner, so we need to work with Dave to confirm the line-ups sooner. That way we can help in distributing the flyers electronically as well as physically and build up the audience in advance.

Another thought that has crossed my mind...some kind of incentive from Sapphire Lounge? I mean they could do a 'happy hour' or some kind of voucher for a free drink, present the flyer to get the drink, that we issue to our audience electronically?

It's just a question of building up using the ol' tried and tested methods.

EliotShort

Post by EliotShort » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:59 pm

Hiya!

Just want to confirm for those of us who aren't on the email group with Martin, we are meeting with him and Dave from Hidden Away on Wed 9Dec @ 7pm, to discuss how to promote Hidden Away and also get some more ideas on the User Group. Hopefully we'll also have some news from Ableton by then and some of the venues Martin's been looking into for prac sessions. Either way I think we should press ahead, since I think all of us are keen to do some skill swapping etc and I'm sure we could organise somewhere for that in Jan?

There is NO Hidden Away Electronic on this evening, btw. There's an open mic night which starts around 9, so we have a good two hours to talk shop.

Hope to see you all on 9Dec, especially if you didn't make the last one.
More the merrier! (It is almost Christmas time after all;)

Eliot

Nektar Impact LX25
15" MacBook Pro (2016)
Motu Audio Express
Berenger FCB1010

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:28 pm

are you meeting at the sapphire or somewhere else?

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:05 am

at the sapphire lounge again

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 pm

I may be Oop North with work but if not I am in. martin did drop me a line to say i was on the e-mail list, but I didn't receive the latest. Could you add me in Eliot?

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:22 am

Gash, I will be in Sheffield...have fun lads and let me know what goes down.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:37 am

no worries mate, enjoy

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 am

pffff...

apologies for not making it over to victoria last night, i ended up getting offered a bit of overtime which i couldnt turn down, and i was back in early today too :(

see you fellers next time hopefully

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:39 pm

Yeah, how'd it go boys? What's new in London town user group?

EliotShort

Post by EliotShort » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:39 am

Hi all,

We covered some good ground on Wed night at The Sapphire Lounge and we have some GOOD NEWS! Present were Robb, myself, Martin and a new recruit Keith aka DJMilsy. Dave popped in whenever he had a moment.

So news from Ableton is that they would like to have a launch event for the User Group :D 8O
This may seem quite a big leap from talking shop over a few beers, but I think over all it's heading in the kind of direction most of us had in mind to begin with. What the Launch Event means in reality is that, Ableton along with Martin's guidance are now looking for a venue etc to put on an event which will announce the London User Group to the world.

As you can imagine this took up most of the rest of the evenings discussion.

Ableton's side:
I guess overall Ableton want to show people that there are a whole bunch of Ableton nuts in London and that the program is popular here, which undoubtedly it is and yet no one has formed a User Group until now, or at least one which Ableton felt it could support.
They would like us therefore to broaden our mailing list and get more people involved in our events, obviously the launch event being their primary concern.
They are also concerned about look and feel and want to make sure the performance and demo quality at the event is of a high standard, so I think, with Martin's assistance, they will carefully select who gets to perform or lead sessions and will hopefully find someone of some celebrity status to represent.
Ableton have also said they would provide some give away merchandise, but what that will be we don't know yet.
In the meantime we have requested that they send us the UG logo artwork so we can set up the Myspace page etc.

Our side:
All though this is very exciting news it brought up all sorts of issues, like what we want the User Group to be about and why we would want a bigger mailing list etc. SO
I think the first thing we discussed is that there are a variety of things we want to get out of being involved in the User Group and we summarized them like this:

DEMOS:
I think most of us would like the opportunity to learn from one another and from visiting facilitators/educators. Since Martin is connected with the music tech/Ableton education arena he is looking into some options for us to plug into ie venue etc.
However this should not deter us from getting together in the meantime if and when we feel the need and I would quite like to see if we can organise a meet up some time in mid-Jan.

PERFORMANCE:
To some degree this particular need has been met by Dave's Hidden Away Electronic evenings, which he described to me as being about 'getting Ableton Users out of their bedrooms and lounges and onto a stage'. (sorry Dave that's probably a total misquote!)
A broader mailing list would obviously be a huge bonus to getting people to the gigs and the UG pages could advertise any related events for those of us who are into performing with Live. Next Hidden Away Electronic is Wed27Jan and we'd like to get a good crowd there for that one.

COMMUNITY
This is just about retaining the spirit of talking shop over beers and meeting up with mates. I suggested that once the UG has gained a bit of momentum we throw ourselves a party too, but that can come in the future... And I'm sure we all have networks to plug into which would make this really happening events.
Also this is about supporting one another, making sure we are not creating a critical or cliquey environment and that all feel welcome to join in.
Support also comes in the form of attending meet ups, making suggestions online and spreading the word, so please feel free to do any these if you're already on the forum :mrgreen:
It would be really great to get everyone from the forum onboard when it comes to actual events, whether performances or demos. We've had some really great Spphire Lounge meet ups and I'm sure the demo session will rock, so PLEASE COME ALONG!

Other ideas that came up:
A UG album release/download. Keith said he would look into hooking us up with a label at some point.
Alternating performance and demo formats each month.
Parties at different venues and tying in with Netaudio Festival
How many members do other UGs have?
Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/Reverbnation…etc…Robb talking about how to feed them all updates simultaneously
Keith to work on other forums to build up mailing list and divert to lug
How to set up Laptop Jams and 'drop in' sets with synced computers

So lots to think about and please chip in if you feel anything vital has been left out or you want to build on something that's been mentioned. With any luck we should soon have a venue to do some demo sessions and are looking for a launch event date in late feb.
If anyone has venue ideas for a mid Jan demo meet up, please suggest and don't forget Hidden Away on 27Jan.

Till then Live nuts!

Nektar Impact LX25
15" MacBook Pro (2016)
Motu Audio Express
Berenger FCB1010