Follow action "when clip ends"

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Parametex

Re: Follow action "when clip ends"

Post by Parametex » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:24 pm

+1 from me too ...

Although I think this is going to be very easy to do with M4L ...

raze

Post by raze » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:53 am

the problem here seems to be that Ableton has not yet accepted that besides common usage Live is more and more used as a playback machine, not only a loop trigger machine.
And people dont want to just playback whole songs, but wanna be flexible even with longer clips, and this is the reason why they want to be able to trigger without thinking about lengths.

again, playing the next clip after the end of the previous is so simple that they did not think of yet.
it would avoid a lot of hassle - but they don't seem to listen

f.i. if you wanna change from a clip that is 32 bars to another that is 64 bars and from there to another that has 16 bars, and all sound quite the same generally how to set trigger mode and when to trigger WITHOUT looking at the status bar of the clip?
as far as i could find out yet is, you HAVE to know when the end of the momentary clip is coming closer (while playing guitar solo !!!!) and then be lucky to push the trigger button within the given time to switch to the next.. (tell me if I'm wrong)

i suggest that all of you start a new topic with the same thread - may be its gonna be recognized this way ? :lol:
regards
rob

mersault

Post by mersault » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:04 am

wow, I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to do this and I stumbled upon this thread. I guess its impossible. The APC40 has thrusted me into clip world after many years in the other view. This is ridiculous!

You mean, you cannot simply launch a clip to the next when it reaches it end?
I must predetermine the amount of measures before switching?

....so what if I want to loop several moments within a clip - and then let it run to the end and into the next clip?

Crazy!!! Why!? seems so simple!!!

and it seems we can't change clips entire bpm's independently of the entire set. WIthout warping. I'm not a huge loop guy, but I find live useful in many other ways. I guess we're not the target audience.

raze

Post by raze » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 pm

mersault wrote:This is ridiculous!
yes
mersault wrote:You mean, you cannot simply launch a clip to the next when it reaches it end?
you CAN, but you have to trigger at the right moment to do so - depending on the setting - thats exactly the point
mersault wrote:I must predetermine the amount of measures before switching?

not really but it depends on how the trigger is set.
f.ex. when it is GLOBAL, and the global setting is 1 bar, you have to push the button within the last bar of the clip - you cannot trigger at any time for the start of the next clip, as it will start earlier as you might want- so you have to pay attention on that issue.
but again tell me if i am wrong.
mersault wrote: ....so what if I want to loop several moments within a clip - and then let it run to the end and into the next clip?
you might put the clips underneath and then set follow action to play next clip when finished, - you have to set the action time in numbers of bars i.o. to get the right results. -

i would like to play a loop several times, then push the button to start the next clip at ANY time, and it should only start playing if the previous clip has finished.
regards
rob

raze

Post by raze » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:54 pm

i hope all has been understood right, as the very first post of this thread says : start new clip when old has finished - which is indeed a follow action feature that works nice already. as it is an automated feature, it can be set before and therefore does not create hassle when playing live gigs :wink:

What i mean is not a follow action but the moment when you push a clip button, it should be independent from bar settings and should start the clip only if the old one has finished.

btw this is a normal setup for hardware loopers
is that the intension meant in this thread? .......................
regards
rob

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Korhan wrote:As the initiator of this thread, it's nice to see so much interest in it, but sad to see no interest from Ableton. Obviously they assume that this can be done with warping - just add a warp marker at the very end of the clip, enter its time into the follow action field and you're set. While this indeed is a valid solution...

I still can't see why this one wasn't implemented in Live 8.
I tried your suggestion, but I couldn't get it to work. I warped a song that was 5:10 minutes long, added a warp marker at the end, put that number into the Follow Action Time Field, set Follow Action A to "next clip below", but it did not play the next clip. The next clip had its Clip Launch Button blinking, but didn't launch at the end of the first clip. I've been experimenting for some time, but am getting useless results.

Can you elaborate on your procedure?
Korhan wrote:I still can't see why this one wasn't implemented in Live 8.
Yes, particularly in light of a conversation I had with Robert Henke wherein he stated that Ableton was very interested in this. In fact he said that they were looking into allowing a lot of the features that only work with warped or looped clips to work with un-warped, un-looped clips. We talked about what great a random music generator Live could be by simply doing this.

But when Robert, when? :cry:

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:22 pm

+1
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

prof_lofi

Post by prof_lofi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:37 pm

Can a workaround be made with M4L?

Bill

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Hello,

I've made this.... Thought you might be interested....

http://vimeo.com/8119382

ummmm... problem solved??

Cheers
D

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:22 pm

S4racen wrote:Hello,

I've made this.... Thought you might be interested....

http://vimeo.com/8119382

ummmm... problem solved??

Cheers
D
Thanks for making this. I don't have M4Live yet, so I can't test this out. I checked the video out, but am not sure if it answers my questions.

Can your system do this:
Can a non-looped clip that does not have any time signature with a completely random length (like a clip of ocean waves breaking on shore), trigger the next clip when it ends using no calculations as to bars-beats-time-length-etc.?

In other words, can a non-looping, non-rhythmic clip of random length ending at it's natural end time then trigger a new clip?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:25 pm

I'd hazard a yes, the timing is available in seconds which has then been adjusted to work in beats for the follow action, i trigger mine on one beat quantize so would have to work this to a finer degree to work with the material your suggesting.....

Cheers
D

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:47 pm

As you can tell, one of the things I am after is that the clips end naturally, & not be truncated by the imposition of a timing grid. I apologize for my denseness, but can you system do this? :) Can the timing be divided into increments smaller than one second?

Here's the next step: Do you think this could be added to your system?

I would like to see a time variant added. Then there could be a length of time before the follow action is executed.

For example:
End + an empty field where a time can be entered:
End + 1 minute
End + 30 seconds
etc.

This time field could be represented as 00:00:00 for hours, minutes, seconds.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 am

The answer is simply yes, with if statements a metro and a counter you can easily achieve this, although it's not something i'll be looking to achieve with my patches....

Cheers
D

elphabyts

Post by elphabyts » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Another quantize option located right above "8 Bars" would be "End of Clip"

Please and Thanks

malutki

Post by malutki » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:32 pm

still no word from the abes?
I'm going home