Launchpad : tips n tricks, ideas, suggestions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Baptiste G

Launchpad : tips n tricks, ideas, suggestions

Post by Baptiste G » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:54 am

Here's a thread to share your tips and tricks when using a Novation Launchpad to control Ableton Live. You can also share all improvement suggestions.

We look forward to your input!

Here are a few interesting threads about Launchpad:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130834
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130678
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129451

Looking for inspiration?
Check out videos of Launchpad in action here:
http://www.facebook.com/novationlaunchpad

++

Baptiste

stubba

Re: Launchpad : tips n tricks, ideas, suggestions

Post by stubba » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:23 am

My first suggestion for improvement would be for Launchpad to be able to have a "follow" mode.
I quite often get ahead of myself when playing a set and end up having to go searching thru the 64x64 grid to figure out which scene I'm at, which means pushing many buttons at once, often while I'm still playing a live instrument such as guitar or trumpet.
I probably don't need to explain to you how difficult this is... but I will anyway...

I often use launch triggers to fire off the next set of clips in my sessions, reaching a looping section which I keep going until I feel the time is right - my solo goes on longer than normal etc etc and I want to keep the groove I'm in. When the time comes to fire off the next scene, I have to hunt thru to find where the session is at (often whilst peaking in my solo!) to move on...

If Launchpad could at least stay in the area in which the most clips are playing, things would be much easier for me.

binarywords

Post by binarywords » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi there. I'm a complete noob to Max so I'm currently getting read up (which looks like it's gonna take some time). I've managed to get nonome to function with the stretta devices but there is something specific that I'd love to see. More than anything I'd like to be able to control the sequencer grid on the Buffer Shuffler using my Launch Pad with Nonome. Is this possible? Has someone already done anything like this? Can anyone point me in the right direction to make this happen? Thanks so much for your time!

mrideas

Post by mrideas » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:24 am

Midi channel 1-16 assignment to the user modes without the need for automap.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:02 pm

I made this set of letters to display them on the launchpad, and thought I might share it. It's a midi clip for each letter of the alphabet, nothing fancy. I have it already assigned to the keys of the computerkeyboard. Works in user mode 1.

Download it here: Alphabet-Livepack(rightclick - save-as)

HiEnergy

Post by HiEnergy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:18 pm

I mostly use my Launchpad in "native" mode with no control surface assigned in Live. The buttons then transmit and receive note commands that allow to easily determine the grid position (row=notenum div 16, col=notenum mod 16).

Currently I'm trying to implement a drum grid sequencer for the Launchpad using NI Reaktor 5. Need to master Reaktor's steep learning curve first, though.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:13 am

Cool Idea!

quikava04

Post by quikava04 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:37 am

I've started with using my Launchpad in Native mode as well; I haven't yet assigned its surfaces in Live. In this way, the buttons transmit and receive note commands to determine grid positioning.

Everyone's tips are great.

Download Full Urban Loop Tracks - LoopBaby - http://www.loopbaby.com

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:14 pm

feature suggestions

1. different kind of pads. I wish that novation would take a page from the korg pads and use the square type. This offers a stable ability to play the pad jst like the korg is meant for drummers. With the circle reaktor under the rubber means that you can miss the button unlike the apc 40 and korg pads. (if that does not make sense i am sorry it is jst a cheaper version of what I would like to have as the apc 40 and korg pads have square stable pads and playing ability)

2. I woould change the position of the buttons at the top. When I am really playing I will hit the scene buttons at the top or whatever else is up there. (granted this is due to my mistake but when you are really getting down having those buttons on the top and side can really screw stuff up if you are a half an inch off.

3. Auto map would be effective. I have not updated ableton yet, but in 8.09 auto map would not work with any software. We need to be able to program the use of other software thru the launch pad cause that was a big plus when compared to the apc 40...so far not effective.

4. I like the idea that you can use both the lauch pad and the apc 40 at the same time. This makes life alot eaiser for me, instead of having to run around my set with the apc 40 I can jst let the lauch pad focus on what I need it to and let the apc 40 navigate around the set

5. that there was an ability to mount the launchpad on a mic stand (apc 40 does not have that ability either

these are the feature suggestions I like the size of the launchpad and really want akai to come out with
the same thing but with the akai pads and durability
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

penfolder

Post by penfolder » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:48 pm

HiEnergy wrote: Currently I'm trying to implement a drum grid sequencer for the Launchpad using NI Reaktor 5. Need to master Reaktor's steep learning curve first, though.
please keep me posted, onna same curve.

tarr

P
P[P]

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Hej Folks,

build a launchpad edition for reaktor grooveboxes is a nice idea. a way is to use data tables, i think. here is an example from the ni user forum i've found, this seems to be good starting point.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... =launchpad

have fun
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

Klinikal

Post by Klinikal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Not so many tricks I see here :)

Why Launchpad is not updating leds properly when the buttons in user mode 2 are asigned to something in live. When switching back to session mode i get blank leds (they are off). I'm on Live 7.0.18. I've tried the latest 8.1.1 demo and it works like it should be.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:45 am

hej folks,

you can try this, to emulate the feel of the monome mlr thing:

- create 1 audio track
- take a 2 bar loop & warp it in the way you want (i use an amenbreak for example :mrgreen: )
- cut it into 8, 1/4bar parts / seperate clips
- - i have set 1/4 bars as loop, this also works fine :!:
- select all and set quantize to 1/8 bar
- - follow to 0.2.0
- - follow action next
- finally set the last clip follow action to first
- then press the first clip button, it will play the parts as loop

now you can play the parts like on monome but it is a little bit more work, however more stable as the monome emulation with max runtime.

this works also fine with keyboards/apc or drumtriggers like akai mpd.

have fun...
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

slaykent

Post by slaykent » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:19 am

wehkah wrote: now you can play the parts like on monome but it is a little bit more work, however more stable as the monome emulation with max runtime.
T
WAY WAY WAY easier and cooler method. mlr style clip chopping of whatever clip is playing on launchpad or monome using M4L:

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?Dis ... 853&page=1

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:28 pm

wehkah wrote:hej folks,

you can try this, to emulate the feel of the monome mlr thing:

- create 1 audio track
- take a 2 bar loop & warp it in the way you want (i use an amenbreak for example :mrgreen: )
- cut it into 8, 1/4bar parts / seperate clips
- - i have set 1/4 bars as loop, this also works fine :!:
- select all and set quantize to 1/8 bar
- - follow to 0.2.0
- - follow action next
- finally set the last clip follow action to first
- then press the first clip button, it will play the parts as loop

now you can play the parts like on monome but it is a little bit more work, however more stable as the monome emulation with max runtime.

this works also fine with keyboards/apc or drumtriggers like akai mpd.

have fun...
T
I can be wrong, but it´s not more easy if you right click on this 2 bar loop, and select "Slice to new MIDI track", select 1/4 note or whatever you like, and starting playing ?

[]´s