[Sharing, etc] Floating OSC Slider

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
LOFA

[Sharing, etc] Floating OSC Slider

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:31 am

Since OSC is new to me, I spent the last couple days building an interface that consists of 10 sliders (a knob version exists too).

Here is a 10 slider floating OSC device

*Has auto-populated parameter-select menu,

*Each slider can adjust up to 4 linearly scaled parameters
(I am considering building a Javascript-enforced version that creates additional parameter interfaces as needed, but that is not a priority yet- If anyone wants to contribute to this part I would LOVE it. I need some good examples of easy js script to get me started, but I might just go at it with a machete...)

*Has definable ports easily selectable, so that multiple instances can be used at time (only shows 1-99 at this point in time. Super easy to adjust.)

*Parameter select screen and user interface can be easily hidden until needed by toggling the appropriate buttons.

*OSC sliders will only work if they are enabled (live.button should not say bypass)

Tonight I decided that it was better to create 1 slider/knob devices that connect to up to four parameters, with the intention of merging them later on as need be. I plan on making many variations, such as counter and envelope-based changers. If anyone likes this and wants the 10x version, I will post it. I like this because It can float on the side top or bottom of the live interface, and unlike racks, it can be visible at all times. I really can't wait to throw other elements into the mix. The main idea is to have custom building blocks that I can open and close during a set for the purpose of supplementing live's user interface.

ONE SLIDER VERSION

Anyway, I thought this was a fun, simple project to get to know OSC and the API a bit better. I will probably make a version of this that controls Live interface parameters as well, such as transport controls, sends, volume etc. If anyone feels like contributing knowledge, please go right ahead. Bug fixes and ideas for improvement would also be nice. I know that there are far more elegant ways than what I may be have done, so consider this an opportunity to share your feedback It would be very much appreciated.

Any help I get will be put directly back into the community. Trust me on that! I plan on creating many building blocks with your help, and making them available on my website (ibrill.com) once I have enough of them.

Here is the credit where credit is due, as I clearly lifted code from two sources:
Mike, as in trackteamaudio Mike:
Sidechainer- Finding device/parameters and populating them into umenus
pp:
StepSeq-FloatMod 0.3: Floating screens, and closing/opening based on live button selection
Last edited by LOFA on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LOFA

Re: [Sharing, etc] Floating OSC Slider

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:34 am

Mostly I posted this to encourage a trend of posting smaller blocks. I am stockpiling clippings at the moment and I can't see it ending anytime soon. Simply too much information going around atm.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:56 am

Here is a pic of the ten slider version:

I tried to post it but got the following:
Your message contains 211617 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:12 am

LOFA wrote:Here is a pic of the ten slider version:

I tried to post it but got the following:
Your message contains 211617 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.
Highlight the code and then hit the "Code" button up in the styles and it should post it in a code frame instead of text.
Unsound Designer

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks for the tip. Too bad it doesn't change things... Still too big.

Almost got three in there, but two is the limit.

Here is the dropbox version. So much easier, really.
Last edited by LOFA on Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:02 am

Actually, for longass code like this I recommend www.pastie.org
Very useful for sharing code.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:15 am

Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, it exceeds 100kb.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:22 am

LOFA wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, it exceeds 100kb.
Ah I see. A very big patch indeed.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:51 am

I got some interesting ideas for improved methods that could be sent in smaller files anyway.

More after some sleep.

mastahlee

Post by mastahlee » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:59 pm

LOFA wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately, it exceeds 100kb.
Compressed text is really only useful for small code snippets, anyways. Just take the .amxd file, put it on the web, and link to it. If the patch is complete enough, why not put it in the patch repository at www.maxforlive.com ? If you just want feedback from this forum, there are plenty of easy online storage apps you can use. www.drop.io or www.dropbox.com are my recommendations.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Good idea. I suppose by the lack of feedback on the one I originally posted that people are not interested in the building block version (Which I find far sexier.)

Here is a 10 slider floating OSC device

I'm gonna make massive changes to this over the weekend. I really want to get it to interact with whatever it can. If anyone has and snippets of code, links to objects I should look requests or feedback, let me know!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:58 pm

I am feeling this. I got mega-improvements to make though.

*Using multiple instances doesn't work yet. I need to create a subpatch/attribute structure for now. Eventually having things done with JS so that will put back even farther, though that is an overall goal.

*I need the OSC_DECK "interface" to update the parameter it is changing. I wonder what the best manner would be.

*I REALLY want to throw some steppy stuff onto the interface. But that will be desert. Once I sort this other hairy stuff out.

"Exciting tutorial video" on the way!

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxuhunrMb1o

Hope someone benefits from this. I think I have been procrastinating. Back to work.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:13 am

hey buddy, great work! :)

This sort of dynamic parameter assignment really is the holy grail in Live. And I think for each person looking into this (there's gotta be like a dozen) they each have their own slant on it and their own perspective/needs. I think that's great, and I for one am really looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

Ach, alas I can't play around with code right now, nursing a proper cold :(

Keep us posted, won't you?
a
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:14 am

Hey Andreas,
Nice to hear from you. Thank you for the kind words :)
Sorry to hear that you are sick. At least that whole swine flu fear seems to have evaporated! I was knocked-out cold for most of the Fall. It was bizarre.

I have a whole mess of ideas and a paid m4l gig coming up, so I am going to work this project as far as I can to keep my chops sharp and feedback coming in. Expect to see a lot more of me around here again- I've been reserving my posting for the post-m4l era!

It's good to be back!