check out the schwarzonator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Slightlydelic

check out the schwarzonator

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:22 pm

new max for live patch from henrick schwarz 8O

http://www.ableton.com/schwarzonator

beats me

Re: check out the schwarzonator

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm kind of offended by the concept of that device.

D K

Post by D K » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:28 pm

yeah, so you have no ear, are too lazy to train it...
so you just use this...
that could be quite offensive indeed.
that seems to be the future though, get a little, loose a little.
i'd feel like a douche using that personally...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:30 pm

They describe him as a "jazz/soul/electronica legend"

Is it really jazz if you can't screw up?
Unsound Designer

D K

Post by D K » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:32 pm

he's a dj, this is the kind of stuff dj's create.
(not talking about turntablists).
it's just playback, no risk.

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:48 pm

another clever invention allowing you stay dumb...
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 pm

as much as im pissed off that yet again MAX the saviour of music is just reinventing the wheel and doing something we can all do with the standard ableton courtesy of the midi chord & scale plugins. ( i havent seen it do anything original yet)

i saw the vid, and thought i should probably buy max for that. :D

couldnt care less what people thought of me for using it, im no tortured artist, i just wana make ass shaking tunes. whatever helps me along that road is all good. :D

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:29 am

Marketing at its best. Really cool patch but the whole idea seems so counterintuitive. Its logical and simple, but it feels so wrong. What the whole video said to me was that we could have the ability to press any key and compose or keep up with any accomplished/polished musician by paying a sum of money.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:12 am

hehe, okay - bitter much, guys?

I have a quick tidbit of news for ya; maxxers have been doing this type of thing forEVER! It's built into like ALL the melodic sequencers I've done, in one way or the other.
It's built into a performance piece I did once, controlled by a GameTrak game controller - ain't no way it would have been enjoyable without it.

Yes, it takes out some of the "oh shit, what's the third inversion of this chord?!?" - but a musician, like Henrik Schwartz isn't playing it safe - it's not like he's just chilling and pressing that one-finger-chord, he's doing a bazillion other things, too.

I didn't hear you lot complaining when Ableton released the Scale midi effect - when did you become so jaded? :cry:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:17 am

It's no worse than playing fixed scale instrument. (Kalimba anyone?)

...or drums. http://instantrimshot.com/

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:25 am

I ended up doing a search for 'Bugge Wesseltof' because I don't think I have ever heard such a cool name. His music is pretty good too :D

D K

Post by D K » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:33 am

Machinate wrote:hehe, okay - bitter much, guys?

I have a quick tidbit of news for ya; maxxers have been doing this type of thing forEVER! It's built into like ALL the melodic sequencers I've done, in one way or the other.
It's built into a performance piece I did once, controlled by a GameTrak game controller - ain't no way it would have been enjoyable without it.

Yes, it takes out some of the "oh shit, what's the third inversion of this chord?!?" - but a musician, like Henrik Schwartz isn't playing it safe - it's not like he's just chilling and pressing that one-finger-chord, he's doing a bazillion other things, too.

I didn't hear you lot complaining when Ableton released the Scale midi effect - when did you become so jaded? :cry:
hey, some of us don't use that shit either.
it's an interesting thing though, you have old farts like me who use tools like ableton to capture what is in their head, and younger minds who use computer programs as the starting point and take from that.
sorry to sound so jaded.... you loose a little, you gain a little....
it is the way of things after all i suppose

booster69

Post by booster69 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:41 am

WOW!

I clicked that link expecting some MAX-gimmick-patch that can turn your voice into the governor of California!

This looks like quite good use of M4L, shame about the name of the device!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:07 am

D K wrote:it's an interesting thing though, you have old farts like me who use tools like ableton to capture what is in their head, and younger minds who use computer programs as the starting point and take from that.
sorry to sound so jaded.... you loose a little, you gain a little....
it is the way of things after all i suppose
well yeah. I guess people working with tape loops and delay lines think Live is cheating, too - it quantizes your loop start and fixes your midi, it takes all the skill out of perfect timing. WWDDD? (What Would Delia Derbyshire Do?)
So many of the processes in Ableton Live could be considered "cheating" or by some seen as "taking the musicality out of the operator", but I think it might not be as clear cut ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

zakary

Post by zakary » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:28 am

I've been a fan of Henrick & Bugge, been to their gigs as well, Henrick djing / live at Sync festival in Greece and Bugge at Sonar festival in Spain. Their music is pretty pretty good if you're into that kind of thing. Dixon as well. All of them are top names in their field.

I must say that it's so cool that Henrick is sharing his tricks with everyone. That is some nice attitude on his behalf, no ego at all, unlike many many other people that are not even half way there.

It's the end result that counts, if you come up with something nice, your tune sounds nice and last but not least other people like it :) it's not the tool but the craftsman, a cliche but very true.

peace
Last edited by zakary on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Express 8.0.2 | Live 6 | battery 3 | Automat 1.0.1 & 0.4.2 | tal-un-o-62 | Axiom 25 | Macbook White - 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo - 1.25 GB Ram - OS X (10.4.11)

http://soundcloud.com/space-monkey-1 | http://www.myspace.com/spmonk