Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rave

Re: Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?

Post by Rave » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Is Avatar a movie for special fx / sci fi dorks?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:10 pm

I found the movie to be tedious and dull. Was the CGI mind boggling? Sure. Was the 3D good? Sure.

And. and. and.

The plot was razor thin and mind numbingly pedestrian and Oh My Fucking God preachy. It's the US killing the Indians all over again. *snore* Yes, Mr. Cameron. I'm white and I feel just as guilty as you do about what happened to the American Indians. Or the Aborigines in Australia. Or the people of India. Or whatever. Yes, Mr. Cameron this is a cautionary tale. Yes Mr Cameron, please smack me over the head with the obvious moral lesson just one more time because the Dump Truck of morality that you just ran me over with didn't quite sink in the first time.

I had zero interest in the Navi. Their culture didn't fascinate me in the least. The parts of the film that focused on them couldn't get over fast enough. I didn't care about the soldiers. I didn't care about the scientists. I didn't care about anything in this movie except the cool new computer displays that everyone was using. Zzzzz. I fail to understand why Cameron needed to set this movie in space. The Navi were very human-like and that was done to gain sympathy from the audience but, honestly, I found them all so annoying and dull that I actually started rooting for the soldiers. Go figure.

I've already seen Dances With Wolves and, lack of CGI in that film aside, it was a better movie. Avatar was like a really, really bad Disney version of that story.

I need plot. Good plot. I need good subplots. Awesome CGI just does nothing for me. I've come to expect it. Frankly, it doesn't wow me anymore. If you took away the CGI from this film, you would be left with a (really small) steaming pile of shit that wouldn't get a second glance from the critics or moviegoers. The actors, dialog, and story were just going through their motions here. Backdrops for the CGI.

I'm a Cameron fan. Can't think of one of his films that I didn't like. Even Titanic. But I loathed this movie.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:37 pm

I was MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar (though suspicious because of Cameron), and was very disappointed to find out, that the movie was utter BS. Never has been done such a colourful movie, which is so black and white, before. And the music, well, that was even more horrible. What a waste of possibilities.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:11 pm

Fascinating! Well, different strokes I guess.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Rave wrote:Is Avatar a movie for special fx / sci fi dorks?
My wife loved it and she hates sci-fi movies. When it was over she wanted to get in line to see it again right away but it was already sold out.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:36 pm

its a fucking movie. not a life affirming experience. did i feel i spent $20 dollars and got a good show in return - fuckin A.

if you want some major emotional connection to anything dont go and see a james cameron movie about blue cats in space, read a fucking book, post a thread and wax lyrical about how high brow it was there.

am i the only one who remembers the terminator "thumbs up" at the end of T2???

what did you expect??

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:47 am

saw it last night... absolutely brilliant.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:17 am

nuperspective wrote:its a fucking movie. not a life affirming experience. did i feel i spent $20 dollars and got a good show in return - fuckin A.
Well, I can still remember time when movies were regarded as an art form.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:25 am

LeifonMars wrote:
nuperspective wrote:its a fucking movie. not a life affirming experience. did i feel i spent $20 dollars and got a good show in return - fuckin A.
I haven't read the thread, so I'm not picking on you directly, but are you saying Avatar was not artistic?

the most striking thing about it was how visually spectacular it was, I can't even fathom anyone thinking that... surely you should at least give them that.

I came away utterly blown away by it. It was stunning. I'm really not interested in faulting it... it looked amazing, it had moral substance to it that related directly to the experiences of indigenous people in our lifetimes, (I watched Samson and Delilah the night before for as well interestingly enough) and it was an interesting concept.... I can't see where there would be a problem.

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Rave wrote:Is Avatar a movie for special fx / sci fi dorks?
Ever heard about art? Why dorks.
:roll:

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:34 pm

I had such high hopes for this and whilst I was blown away by the mocap/cg wonderland I was openly sniggering through lengthy sections of this very silly film.

In fact, the best thing about it was the trailer for 'Alice in Wonderland' in 3d. That looks like it will deliver on both eye candy and story.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:39 pm

alex.the.forge wrote:
LeifonMars wrote:
I haven't read the thread, so I'm not picking on you directly, but are you saying Avatar was not artistic?

the most striking thing about it was how visually spectacular it was, I can't even fathom anyone thinking that... surely you should at least give them that.

I came away utterly blown away by it. It was stunning. I'm really not interested in faulting it... it looked amazing, it had moral substance to it that related directly to the experiences of indigenous people in our lifetimes, (I watched Samson and Delilah the night before for as well interestingly enough) and it was an interesting concept.... I can't see where there would be a problem.

Yep, I gave it credit for visual efforts already (kind of at least, I said it was colourful). And I wasn't saying that Avatar would be particularly unartistic film, I was just reffering to what nuperspective wrote. And then again, I was very drunk.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Well you can call me Avatarded if you want, but I saw it in 3D yesterday and really liked it.
No, I wasn't sitting in the dead center and it was still a very cool experience.

One could argue that the story line is played out, but by whom? Hollywood? No.
This is an old story that has been repeated over and over again by humanity for thousands of years.
The difference in the movie is the planet that it happens on. Thats about it. We've covered and raped this one pretty well...
If Hollywood made it not go down like that I'd be more suspicious in regards to the writing.

2 thumbs up to the new smurfs here.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Brand new CGI same old USA rubbish, some "let's save the planet" bullshit but let us show you how fond we are of war and explosions anyway, now that we're at it. Couldn't have a blockbuster without lots of stuff getting blown up.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:31 pm

^
you would prefer it to be a chick flick? Everybody falls in Love and they roll the credits??

a comedy? Blue people slipping on banana peels or stepping in piles of shit? Lots of potty/socially retarded humor and they roll the credits??

a sports movie?? The blue team is having a hard time, their record sucks and the fans are turning their backs until the new coach/player arrives? They win the big game, roll credits??

a children's flick?? All of the above pealed back and dumbed down, occasionally pushing the envelope in one direction or another?? happy ending, roll credits?

I dunno... the explosions don't seem all that bad to me.
Last edited by H20nly on Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.