[OT] Ultima game series

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ethios4

[OT] Ultima game series

Post by ethios4 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:49 pm

So I recently bought Oblivion for Xbox....good game, but it just reminds me of the old Ultima series of computer RPGs. Those are my favorite games of all time and played a significant role in shaping me as a person. All of the things that are great about Oblivion were present in Ultima VII, and many things were done better. For example, there is never any loading time, and way more variety in terrain....deserts, swamps, mountains, etc.

Anyway, I was reading about the creator of Ultima, Richard Garriott, and apparently he attended some computer programming courses here at the University of Oklahoma just a few weeks before I was born! Wow, for such a huge Ultima fan as myself that is amazing to learn!

Anyway, I'm super happy about that and just had to share with my forum buddies.

ThrowAway

Re: [OT] Ultima game series

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:04 pm

oblivion is pretty tight. I liked fallout 3 better though.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:22 pm

I almost got Fallout 3 instead of Oblivion, but I love RPGs and I figured I got my modern day fix from GTAIV. :mrgreen: Probably get F3 at some point though...looks awesome! Not so much a big fan of 1st person games though, even though Oblivion is one.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:28 pm

Fallout 3 is a great RPG, but in my opinion Oblivion is just stupidly good and HUGE! You can spend 40 hrs just doing the guilds and side missions and not even notice the main quest. The thieves guild was the best.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:58 pm

About to have 2 weeks paid leave. Gonna move back and forth between Oblivion, GTAIV, writing a new track, and building my library of personal loops. Also going to build a raised garden bed.

I used an online character builder tool for Oblivion to build the ideal character to get around the leveling problems in Oblivion. Playing that game is actually inspiring me to write some fantasy-fueled music...fun!

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:01 pm

fallout 3 is up there on hours of play with all the expansion packs Im thinking 200+ hours.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:33 pm

ethios4 wrote:
I used an online character builder tool for Oblivion to build the ideal character to get around the leveling problems in Oblivion.
Aww thats no fun. The first RPG i ever played was oblivion (i used to think they were for geeks) :D
I didn't know what the fuck i was doing and designed some retarded character with pointless non corresponding perks. I Spent hours picking flowers and stealing from all the different houses and selling it to the fences. I eventually managed to build up my character to something half decent. Jesus I cant wait for another Elder scrolls.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Haha, that's pretty much what I've been doing with my first character....walking around, picking flowers and mushrooms, exploring old ruins, checking out every area of the map, seeing what happens when you get to the edge....it's been great fun. I can't wait to get into the actual quests as I've read some really net stories about them. I also got both expansion packs, so I'll probably be playing Oblivion for the next year or so.

The GTAIV missions are pretty fun too. Only played one so far, but I drove to a club walked in and started dancing up on this girl so well she took me in the bathroom and we got it on in a stall. Mission accomplished!

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Dude, Oblivion is the shit. I got it when it first came out...then played Fallout 3 and beat that too.

When I first played Ultima Online I named my character Snagglepuss and just walked around annoying people. Like walking up to their characters and asking HOW I PLAY THIS GAEM or something else all in caps and badly spelled and other annoying shit then they'd try typing a response and I'd run away. It was a lot of fun for a little while then I got pissed off because I'd get killed by a turkey or a deer if I tried to do anything fun. This was like, 11 years ago.

For me though, it was all about Ravenloft: Stone Prophet!
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Check out Mass Effect sometime too, should be cheap as chips now. Its not as good as Oblivion or fallout 3 but is still really fun. Has a really great electronic score too, kind of understated epic retro (if thats possible..)

plus it has female on female (alien) lesbos in it. which is always worth a waggle :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVYcqHu28EE

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:15 pm

real rpgs are the shit. oblivion was one of the best games to come out in recent years. I been playing the elder scrolls series since Arena, although daggerfall and oblivion were my favs of all time. Also, Ultima Online was far superior to everquest. it just had to be said

I used an online character builder tool for Oblivion to build the ideal character to get around the leveling problems in Oblivion. Playing that game is actually inspiring me to write some fantasy-fueled music...fun!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:20 pm

:lol: :lol:
Hold on I've got to go download an Oblivion walkthrough so I can be sure to get the most out of it! My next tracks are all going to be Oblivion remixes, btw.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:48 pm

ethios4 wrote::lol: :lol:
Hold on I've got to go download an Oblivion walkthrough so I can be sure to get the most out of it! My next tracks are all going to be Oblivion remixes, btw.

you just dont understand these games

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I played Ultima Online for an embarrassing amount of time between the ages of 13-15; it was a great game. The operative word being "was." I got into it around The Second Age, got out of it after the 3D makeover.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:16 pm

Android Bishop wrote:
ethios4 wrote::lol: :lol:

you just dont understand these games
I am a level 53 Mage of Sarcasm.