M-audio Profire 2626

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

To invest in or not to invest in?

Yes?
40%
No?
20%
PC Desktop?
20%
Mac Desktop?
20%

Total votes: 10

Soundscapemusic

M-audio Profire 2626

Post by Soundscapemusic » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:54 am

Any thoughts?

I want to upgrade from the presonus Firebox in my studio..

I'm a little weary about M-audio's converters and overall stability in handling audio but i dont know first hand.

What do you guys have to say about it.. Recommened anything better?

I also want to upgrade to a dedicated Desktop a work horse... PC or Mac? Any suggestions? I would like to build my own PC if thats the route i go.. unless buying one and customizing it is cheaper. So any suggestions or thoughts are welcome :P

shatzer

Re: M-audio Profire 2626

Post by shatzer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:20 am

Soundscapemusic wrote:Any thoughts?

I want to upgrade from the presonus Firebox in my studio..

I'm a little weary about M-audio's converters and overall stability in handling audio but i dont know first hand.

What do you guys have to say about it.. Recommened anything better?

I also want to upgrade to a dedicated Desktop a work horse... PC or Mac? Any suggestions? I would like to build my own PC if thats the route i go.. unless buying one and customizing it is cheaper. So any suggestions or thoughts are welcome :P
Definately get it. I used one until my PTHD rig. Best thing out there especially for the price in my opinion. Very clean and transparent pre-amps, very high quality converters. I can't vouche on any of there other products, and i always hear people around this forum complaining about m-audio gear but whatever, the converters in this thing are great. They even have some of the same components as the HD. I never once had a problem with it. Worked perfect in Ableton and Pro Tools.

Dan Dare

Post by Dan Dare » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:19 am

I have one and the I think for the money it has some positive bang for you're $.

Also has some issues:

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=12972

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=6391

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:06 am

Dan Dare wrote:I have one and the I think for the money it has some positive bang for you're $.

Also has some issues:

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=12972

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=6391
Wow, first time i heard of that. Never had a problem with that at all. I just went back to some projects to take a look and everything lined up perfectly. I was using a Dual Core PC (2.4 Gig, 2 Gig Ram, mostly all NVIDIA certified components and a socket 939 motherboard...i know it was old but it worked great) Win XP, texas instruments firewire card, and checked in both Ableton and Pro Tools M-Powered. No problems whatsoever.

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:10 am

Cool guys, really appreciate the response. Im Serisouly considering this thing.. I really wanna add protools M powered to my setup but i dont want to install it on my laptop (which is all i use right now)
Once i scrounge up some cash and can find/build a dedicated desktop for my studio i think ill definetly grab one of these.

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:16 am

Soundscapemusic wrote:Cool guys, really appreciate the response. Im Serisouly considering this thing.. I really wanna add protools M powered to my setup but i dont want to install it on my laptop (which is all i use right now)
Once i scrounge up some cash and can find/build a dedicated desktop for my studio i think ill definetly grab one of these.
Cool thing about PT is the ilok. Many people hate them (mostly people who just use laptops and amateurs :D ) but its great because you can take Pro Tools (as long as you install it) to any computer without ever re-activating it. Use it on your laptop, use it on your desktop, at a friends place, etc.... Also you can add plug ins to it. Never have to re-authorize. I love ilok, and I love lamp.

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:38 am

shatzer wrote:
Soundscapemusic wrote:Cool guys, really appreciate the response. Im Serisouly considering this thing.. I really wanna add protools M powered to my setup but i dont want to install it on my laptop (which is all i use right now)
Cool thing about PT is the ilok. Many people hate them (mostly people who just use laptops and amateurs :D ) but its great because you can take Pro Tools (as long as you install it) to any computer without ever re-activating it. Use it on your laptop, use it on your desktop, at a friends place, etc.... Also you can add plug ins to it. Never have to re-authorize. I love ilok, and I love lamp.

Stupid question.. i dont have an ilok/never owned one. Obviously upgrading to PT you NEED one. But PT is not installed on the ilok righ? The ilok just stores all of your authorizations? right or wrong?

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:24 pm

Soundscapemusic wrote:
shatzer wrote:

Stupid question.. i dont have an ilok/never owned one. Obviously upgrading to PT you NEED one. But PT is not installed on the ilok righ? The ilok just stores all of your authorizations? right or wrong?
If you are buying PT (not upgrading) then the ilok will come with it. It will have the authorization pre-installed onto the ilok already. The ilok only holds authorizations/licensing. You can also get a free account at ilok.com to control all your authorizations or transfer to other iloks.

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:20 pm

I have the Firewire 610 and it works very well with no latency. It is extremely quiet. I used to run midi through it and it also worked fine for that. Can't complain.

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:34 pm

alrite well if thats the case.. im gunna wait till i get a new desktop to buy the profire.. or buy it but hold off on protools and the desktop for a while... well see.

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:29 am

I have Profire - love it, never had a single issue with it on Mac OS X - great pre's, great A/D converters, no-brainer price point, PT compatible, etc. etc.

But you must bear in mind that M-Audio gear is crap, so I'd say...don't buy it. 8)

Soundscapemusic

Post by Soundscapemusic » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:49 am

evernaut wrote:I have Profire - love it, never had a single issue with it on Mac OS X - great pre's, great A/D converters, no-brainer price point, PT compatible, etc. etc.

But you must bear in mind that M-Audio gear is crap, so I'd say...don't buy it. 8)

WTF!? lol your reply is like an oxymoron.. i dunno what to think hahah.

Dandy Dust

Post by Dandy Dust » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi there! 8)

Unfortunately I am one of the sufferes from a random BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
that comes with using the m-audio profire2626 device. :cry:

Even if it is just a minority of the owners of a profire2626 who expirence the issue on a regular bases, there is no way of telling if the item will work for You, as the tech-support states it cannot reproduce the bug.

As I said it comes on random occasions, mostly if one is using a programm that uses signals of other sample rates (such as youtube, but after all one can say, that such triggeres can also just be opening or closing programms or internal audio signals.

If I would not have these BSOD-issue once in a while, I would say the m-audio profire2626 audio device is UNBEATABLE with the 26 ins and outs, that make huge configurations possible, like no other.

Seeing m-audio popping up with a driver-solution or a comprehenible work arround would make me swarm about this sound interface without limits.

I have not given up hope as a PC XPsp3 user on getting some driver update, as I saw that m-audio has updated the MAC-driver just a fiew months ago, in the first half of 2012 let´s say.

Best wishes, Dandy :D
Search great DAW?
- BUY ABLETON LIVE 10 SUITE today!
It will be worth every cent. Dandy