Quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
henke

Re: Quality

Post by henke » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi McQ714,

the company is still small enough to fit all people working here in one big room. And it is still small enough for having a pretty flat hirarchy. Which means, the board members are still very much interested in specifications details on one side, and that the communication between those who code things and those wo talk to customers etc.. is flat. You might have noticed that the actual coders also read the forum and even reply from time to time. This also implies that pretty much everyone who works at Ableton is highly committed to the company and the product. This is great as long as things run smooth, but can get very frustrating if not.
The worsed thing that can happen to a company of our size is unhappy, frustrated people working. Be assured we had and constantly have lots of internal discussions about the directions of the development, about goals etc... Gerhard statement is not a decission made by a person high up in the 49th floor, but is the result of discussions. As pretty much every decission at Ableton. I would not call this 'micro management that brings companies down'. What brings companies down is often enough a lack of communication between the different management levels.

The specification team is up and running, and we have lots of things in the pipeline for Live 9, but the actual coding department is indeed 100% assigned to track down the known issues. I am very convinced that this will have a noticeable impact. In parts stability and other problems will become less, and parts of this effort will ensure that adding new features in the future will not also add a disproportional number of bugs.

Cheers, Robert

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:14 pm

I was one of those that had not upgraded yet as I was waiting to hear about the overwhelming stability from everyone else. Reading the recent statement from the Abe's and agreeing with the following sentiment:
ark wrote:So although it may sound paradoxical, sometimes a project can be in a state in which halting all work on new features and putting all effort into making the existing code more reliable can reduce the total amount of time it takes for a new version with new features to be completed successfully.
I feel a lot better about getting on with the new purchase of Live 8.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:25 pm

A lot of crashes might be caused by 3rd party software or users systems, that's why they need documented info from users. Luckily I haven't had any problems. I hope this isnt the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. Probably not but if it is then this could hurt the product big time, long term. I don't interpret it as a good sign, good to take responsibilty but if it's faulty software (not in my experience) and you released it, then you fall behind fixing it- that's not good.
Good luck to them and the users having crashes.

rompling

Post by rompling » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 pm

I apluald ableton for there good customer service what with this company statement and the supension of the live share - I hope it shows that they want perfection or as near as it gets !! Plus I`m sure all the posts in this forum have helped jog a response :D
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:29 pm

henke wrote:..and parts of this effort will ensure that adding new features in the future will not also add a disproportional number of bugs.
Seems like a wise decision. :!:

ambesound

Post by ambesound » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:32 pm

The complaints and bad word of mouth have now got to the point where it is damaging Ableton's reputation. This is why they have had to release this statement and shift their development focus.

Personally I would have prefer and have more respect for Ableton if they did not do any announcements at NAMM and just did some Max4Live and Launchpad demo's.

Also, recently they have also had to get Live working with the APC40, Launchpad and the massive task of getting Max4Live working and out the door. Now this is behind them and they don't have any dates/commitments to make with hardware manufacturers they have chance to focus on bug fixes.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:39 pm

The vst parameter automation in session view crashes very often.

the new "128" parameter configuring feature.

please , check this one out, its a very important feature for me , proably the most imprtant.

thanx !

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 pm

dont worry abes, i wish u a nice 2010!

Microsoft can learn a lot from you ;)

peace&sunny 2010
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

d-track

Post by d-track » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:02 pm

so i hope this period wont be too long and there will be a big hurry to bring L9 up to the competition without less bugs than L8.. because i love it but cant stand those many irritating bugs and seriously thinking about switch to another daw.
Last edited by d-track on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

j2j

Post by j2j » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:03 pm

ambesound wrote:The complaints and bad word of mouth have now got to the point where it is damaging Ableton's reputation.
I don't think that is so true. I think a lot of people know about, and desire to use Ableton Live. I talk to several people who are trying to get into production, they know about Live, they want to be using it, several of them go to guitarcenter, sweetwater, etc, and buy a license.

If anything, drastic changes in the global economy, mean companies need to put out super-high-quality products, if they want super-quality-customers.

That is just that.

Problems with Ableton? Enough that users are switching daws, and avoiding upgrades?

That just means the company needs to respond. It does not mean, "the companies reputation has been damaged," or at least, "I don't see much, if any damage to Ableton's rep, not yet, not by a long shot."

Look at Mackie, look at Magix, look at Waves.....

Wanna have a chat about companies people avoid?
too many lasers...

kloosterj

Post by kloosterj » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:13 pm

And please Ableton, also look into the issues with 3rd party plugins. There are quite a few plugins that work well in other DAW's and faulty in Ableton Live.
The FabFilter plugins, for instance? NI Battery? Lots of goodwill to gain there!

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:17 pm

For those of us who feel religious about Ableton and just had a confidence boost to keep feeling that way! :D :D :D

Korhan

Post by Korhan » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:21 pm

This is a great announcement! Thank you Ableton. Even though Live 8.1 is reasonably stable for me (M4L has inconsistent crashes from time to time and only during editing in Max), I have been sticking with 8.0.9 for any serious work (which crashes seldom for me, usually caused by 3rd party plugins).

I wonder if it were possible for Ableton to publish a list of unresolved bugs in Live 8.1 so that users can check if the bugs they experienced made it on the list, and if not, report those bugs to the programmers.

Happy new 2010 for everyone!

Korhan
Computer: MBP M1Pro 32GB 1TB, MixPre 6 MKII
Hardware: Syntrx II, Matriarch, Hydrasynth, Minifreak, Nord Drum 2, Modular (mainly Make Noise)
Controllers: Push 3, Launchpad Mk3, Launch Control, Sensel Morph, PC4, Nanokontrol

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks Ableton. Brave statement to make. Good luck for 2010

TRS80

Post by TRS80 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Although I"m having no problems with the Live 8 suite, I like to hear such sincere and direct communication. Well done.
Ableton Suite 8.2.2 suite; OS 10.6.7