Someone please help just got the launchpad

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
waltenberg

Someone please help just got the launchpad

Post by waltenberg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:18 pm

Just got a launchpad for a gift I love music and love playing music.
But I have never used the lp or ableton live can someone please help a newbie get started making sets??? :cry:
I have watched alot vids on youtube and vimeo and they dont really help just a dude pressing buttons on his lp.
ummmmm I have had it for a couple days and I have no idea what to do with this thing????

Someone help I feel like I just want to give up???????

djsynchro

Re: Someone please help just got the launchpad

Post by djsynchro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:25 pm

read the manuals

waltenberg

Post by waltenberg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:30 pm

it was a gift no mannys???
and when I go online the wordage is so outta my world I dont even know what there talking about...
I have tons of friends who dj but I want to start making music too so I can join them on there sets in the club kinda like a friend/guest on the mix

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Dont give up, it will probably take you a few weeks of intense study to learn the basics. I know it all looks very easy on youtube, but making music is far more complex than that. Just stick with it and delve a bit deeper each day. Try to narrow down specific problems your having so we can help you out. Were all a friendly lot here

waltenberg

Post by waltenberg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Emissary wrote:Dont give up, it will probably take you a few weeks of intense study to learn the basics. I know it all looks very easy on youtube, but making music is far more complex than that. Just stick with it and delve a bit deeper each day. Try to narrow down specific problems your having so we can help you out. Were all a friendly lot here

hahahahaha Theres like 500 some pages on this thing...... 8O
I need to know where to get more sounds for free and use the sounds i downloaded... :?:

I made a folder of some sounds I downloaded but when I try to use them it wont let me drag them to my LP????????? I see sound but I cant hear it???? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Me thinks my head just exploded.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:53 pm

waltenberg wrote:
Emissary wrote:Dont give up, it will probably take you a few weeks of intense study to learn the basics. I know it all looks very easy on youtube, but making music is far more complex than that. Just stick with it and delve a bit deeper each day. Try to narrow down specific problems your having so we can help you out. Were all a friendly lot here

I need to know where to get more sounds for free and use the sounds i downloaded... :?:

I made a folder of some sounds I downloaded but when I try to use them it wont let me drag them to my LP????????? I see sound but I cant hear it???? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Welcome to the world of making music. You need to set up your soundcard first. Then make sure you have the launchpad selected in the midi device preferences. You drag files from the browser into the clips in the session view. Then the lights on the launchpad will light up corresponding to clips. then you wack them buttons and smile. i imagine there should be some setup tutorials about.

waltenberg

Post by waltenberg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:10 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what the fuck happened to vinyl........ I love my mac, but I just dont get this launchpad thing at all :?

waltenberg

Post by waltenberg » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Emissary wrote:
waltenberg wrote:

Welcome to the world of making music. You need to set up your soundcard first. Then make sure you have the launchpad selected in the midi device preferences. You drag files from the browser into the clips in the session view. Then the lights on the launchpad will light up corresponding to clips. then you wack them buttons and smile. i imagine there should be some setup tutorials about.
where do I setup my sound card I hear some songs but cant access my songs I even converted to wav files????????????

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:16 pm

BOOOM!! EXPLODEY!!

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Sorry to hijack this with my own issue, but trying to map MIDI to controls in Live and... nothing and I have no idea why. I can use the Launchpad normally, but User 2 is basically useless because I can't map anything.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:45 pm

waltenberg wrote:it was a gift no mannys???
and when I go online the wordage is so outta my world I dont even know what there talking about...
I have tons of friends who dj but I want to start making music too so I can join them on there sets in the club kinda like a friend/guest on the mix
What version of Live are you using ?

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:56 pm

waltenberg wrote:

where do I setup my sound card I hear some songs but cant access my songs I even converted to wav files????????????
Honestly, if you are truly that lost you'd probably be best off just selling all of your music kit and trying something else, like DJ Hero or something. Or maybe just put it all on the shelf for now and find a good book on how to develop problem solving and critical thinking skills. Once you are through that try reading the manual that came with your software.

Seriously, there's a shit ton of help here for you, but you are also going to have to learn to do some foot work and some thinking on your own if you want to get any enjoyment out of your new toys.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:03 pm

Sage wrote:Sorry to hijack this with my own issue, but trying to map MIDI to controls in Live and... nothing and I have no idea why. I can use the Launchpad normally, but User 2 is basically useless because I can't map anything.
make sure REMOTE IN is on in the midi preferences. for User 2 assignments remember you can hit a control in Live, hold down one button on the LP, tap another and you now have a 'slider' control over Live. hope that makes sense. Sage, if you have more questions, maybe start your own thread, the OP of this one seems to need more specific advice.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:11 pm

waltenberg wrote:aaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh what the fuck happened to vinyl........ I love my mac, but I just dont get this launchpad thing at all :?
Tell me where you live and I'll come over and connect everything for you, I hate to see a fellow forum member suffer. I'll bring my girlfriend who has agreed to come along and give you a blow job while I sort out the technical details like plugging in "USB cables" and stuff like that. :mrgreen: