Quality

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LithiuMind

Re: Quality

Post by LithiuMind » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm

djsynchro wrote:Image
Hahaha! Yes! This is the truth. With those three things locked down you basically have a doorway to infinite possibilities.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:49 pm

Great news. The best new feature Live and m4l can get now is stability.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:54 pm

THANKS! About time! I was starting to loose my faith in Ableton. I hope that we all will profit from the new tactic? Like i posted in one of my other posts......

STAY IN FOCUS!

Live must be ROCK STABEL! :twisted:

Live most be immune to 3rd party plugins no matter what happens! Dont let Live crash because of bad programmed 3rd party plugins!

Live must be light on the cpu!

Regard! :D
Last edited by xzusa8ky on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:58 pm

My two favourite software companies have been intertwined, and my workflow will never be the same again. And now this? So awesome.

I think this is a lovely step on Abletons part to step out of the rut for a while, and get back to basics.
I also happen to think that this is the perfect time to do so; Let the "features-race" be a bit user-driven now on account of M4L here.

Andreas.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

mdk

Post by mdk » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:34 pm

great decision.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:39 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Live must be ROCK STABEL! :twisted:
Stableton! :mrgreen:

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:41 pm

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:53 pm

i must confess this announcement comes at an interesting time for me ... i've been on the ableton track since version 4, and i have loved and actively used every upgrade, BUT this latest version is the first, the absolute first time where i have have started to second-guess my upgrade habits. i have honestly been thinking of switching back to version 7, but it's hard to imagine going through with that because the new features are too interesting to sacrifice.

so, i greatly welcome the quality message. even if the announcement is purely political, it is enough of a gentle push to keep me from moving backwards.

purpurkatten

Post by purpurkatten » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:01 pm

"Ableton values quality over innovation." I very much hope that you and the other guys at Ableton really will do what you write in your post, Gerhard!

Ableton Live is the best sequencer so far, but its stability is not 100%. Quality, meaning stability, needs to catch up before more bells and whistles are added to Ableton Live. Never mind Namm shows and such, it is mostly the good day to day stability that in the long run makes me want to stay with a sequencer.
Last edited by purpurkatten on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:01 pm

indeed, it is nice to be informed about that!

thanks abes!
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Working for a software company who has lost his soul, I really appreciate what Ableton has delivered today.
This is so exceptional and uncommon in the software world that really made me feel emotions like a 5 years old.
Thank you Gerhard, Bernd to remind us all how is to be human again.
Personally I will wait for that fix and I've never been happier than today because I know my beloved DAW is backed
up by an exceptional and solid group of people. Well done,

- Cheers
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

whenchyiv

Post by whenchyiv » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Thank God for this. I was so tired of hearing I am in the minority suffering from all of these bugs in Live when everyone I speak to has been suffering from similar issues. Best of luck working out the kinks in 8, Ableton! I look forward to getting back to 7's stability. :)

strav100

Post by strav100 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:06 pm

What the CEO of Ableton has done is basic common sense - nobody can have a go at a company that recognises problems - admitted they have fucked up and promise to fix things. I can understand the devs and management want to put more and more stuff and innovation into the product and its boring fixing bugs. But if Live 8 isn't sorted now - Live 9 with all the new features will have even more problems and then development will slow down even more.

No-one will be bothered if we have to a wait a few months for Live 9 - there is so much in Live 8 and Max for Live has just been released. There are bugs still to be cleared up with this integration!

Rock-solid software is the most important thing of all - look at Propellerhead for example!

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:09 pm

I have followed some open source projects in the past where the main new "features" of a major release are "better performance and stability".

I've always dreamed of seeing those be considered major features by major commercial software vendor.

Mad props to Ableton. Max for Live gives us tons to play with for a long time. A focus on stability is a great move.

Hell, I feel like I've barely used the new features in Live 7 still.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

headquest

Post by headquest » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:10 pm

j2j wrote:
ambesound wrote:The complaints and bad word of mouth have now got to the point where it is damaging Ableton's reputation.
I don't think that is so true. I think a lot of people know about, and desire to use Ableton Live. I talk to several people who are trying to get into production, they know about Live, they want to be using it, several of them go to guitarcenter, sweetwater, etc, and buy a license.

If anything, drastic changes in the global economy, mean companies need to put out super-high-quality products, if they want super-quality-customers.

That is just that.

Problems with Ableton? Enough that users are switching daws, and avoiding upgrades?

...Wanna have a chat about companies people avoid?
I used to avoid Steinberg because Cuabse SX1 and 2 were so buggy. I have used Live since version 2, and am currently on version 7 Suite. However, I avoided upgrading to Live 8 partly because of the high cost, and partly because of the bug issues. A bad combination for sure.

In the meantime I gave up waiting for Ableton to fix Live and bought Cubase 5 in the meantime - looking at the various music software offerings I saw how Steinberg have mended their reputation and now have one of the best products out there. I'm very happy with Cubase 5, and no longer really looking for a working Live 8, as I have moved along.

In other words, because of greedy pricing and poor quality, Ableton lost a long time customer and fan (quite a few friends bought Live on my recommendation too). For now. But I applaud their announcement here, and wish them well in fixing Live 8. Perhaps in the future I will be back.
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud