Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davepermen

Re: Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?

Post by davepermen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:20 pm

one thing the bashers forget: they just do it to look intelligent, and "better than that". i enjoyed last night, knowing it most likely will be a stupid crap story. but i enjoyed it, and had a great night. while you where just bashing and rantinng.

so who's the intelligent one now? the one who bashes everything? or the one who can still enjoy everything, while seeing it's flaws. even, maybe, liking those flaws.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:20 pm

zee verkawound wrote:
H20nly wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:I'm just not able to stomach plots like that anymore, and I realize that asking for more out of a blockbuster film is asking too much.
its all good for us to rant and rave about how sick we are of the same old shite plot wise, but remember that there is a demographic aged (roughly) 9-25 that haven't seen enough movies to claim that, or at least, haven't seen enough to make that connection.

Some of the movies that are near and dear to your hearts storyline wise won't fly with kids today. The story can be the bomb but those 80's graphics and rubber heads don't do much for a kid born around 1990...

The movie was PG 13 as in "your kids will want to see this"

When I was a kid, I had to pray to watch something like Star Wars, Krull, Flash Gordon, The Dark Chrystal. I was completely at the mercy of my parents taste and the one T.V. we had. I hardly gave two shits about story line... I was more into lasers, spaceships and magic powers.

When a bunch of little boys gather to play Avatar do you think that they're gonna all be gathered around arguing who gets to be the military industrial complex folks? - immediately followed by a deep conversation about why that type of enemy is played out.

Face it folks... they had a goal with this movie and they accomplished it. Its Sci Fi. Your dads were all saying the same shit about Star Wars... "oh its just like Zoro. I'm so tired of these swash buckler movies..."
Good point. However, it seems like something else is going on here. Maybe just a personal taste thing but Star Wars just doesn't seem to me like an infantile plot. I know what you are saying in the basic sense, but it has something there that kept me interested from start to finish. Could it be that it's not so much the plot line but how the story is told?

Then there is "proportion".

Both Independence Day and 2012 were incredibly disproportionate movies IMHO. I ask myself, were the special effects just too much for the simplicity of the stories, or was it more the simplicity of the special effect's focus, that turned me off? I honestly don't know.
agreed.

go see it in 3D and enjoy it for what it is, instead of what others would rather it be.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:38 pm

Went to see it again because I hated it so much the first time and thought, fuck, everyone loves this so maybe my hormones were off or I ate a bit of undercooked potato or whatever.

Still thought it was shite.

Aliens. The Abyss. Terminators 1 & 2. All excellent scifi films, without question. Pure entertainment and the reason why movies were invented.

With Avatar, for some reason I felt as though I knew exactly what was going to happen next in every single scene. Christ, but it was a predictable film. I mean, all films are predictable to a certain extent, but with Avatar I felt like I'd already had the script and read it 10 times before seeing the movie. Jesus Christ. There wasn't one thing that happened that was truly a surprise. It was like, "Oh. Yeah. Here's the part where the white dude gets accepted by the clan. Here's the moment where the white dude proves himself." etc etc. Most of that was because this story has been told a dozen times before. A Man Called Horse, anyone?

And let me say this: When I go to see a Cameron film I'm not expecting Jim Jarmusch, FFS. While characters in Cameron's past scifi flicks aren't exactly multi-dimensional and richly drawn, at least they have SOME grey area. In Avatar, there's nothing. Fuck me. The evil buff racist white hunter Marine Colonal is such a stereotypical villian, I honestly expected him to have a giant black mustacheo that he would stroke the first time he turned around and faced the camera.

In fact, it's so awful and so predictable that the only scene missing from this movie is one where the villain ties the girl up to the train tracks and the hero rescues her in the nick of time.

Compare this to District 9 which, let's face it, is a far superior film in every respect. While it has the same sort of 'smack me in the face' moral message, at least the story and dialog are geared for somebody that has at least reached puberty.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:04 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Compare this to District 9 which, let's face it, is a far superior film in every respect. While it has the same sort of 'smack me in the face' moral message, at least the story and dialog are geared for somebody that has at least reached puberty.
right which means some percentage, probably close to 75, of people who watch it won't even get it... :roll:

we're an esoteric group all dealing with complex software and gear on a daily basis... then there's everybody else... many of them are just fucking stupid.

of course you weren't gonna like it more two days later... that marine holding that damn coffee mug standing up in that ship's cockpit at the end was pissing me the hell off. :evil:

yes, most of the story was predictable from a high altitude perspective, but the only reason you knew the whole story the second time around wasn't because of your massive brain. It was because you saw it the first time.

dru

Post by dru » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:45 am

Finally managed to book some decent seats @ IMAX 3D, man what a visual orgasm that was! My first time watching a 3D movie and I flinched when the cheshire cat's face zoomed towards me during the preview for Alice in Wonderland, lol.

Brought my 76 y/o dad along who hadn't watched a movie in the cinemas since like the 70's or something, he was well impressed and kept asking me questions on how they did it afterwards. :)

It's been packed at the local cinemas here since its release on the 17th. Also, I couldn't help but notice there was some kind of message saying how a shitty race we humans are. :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 am

Tone Deft wrote: MW do you go to the movies? what was the last one you saw in the theater? I don't recall you discussing movies before.
I do all the time, District 9 was the last theatre movie, but I keep mentioning Let The Right One In in every thread on movies on this board if you haven't noticed. I'm plugging it big time because the USA version is due out later this year, and it's sure to be garbage compared. Remakes to americanize movies suck.
EDIT - I should add that I had your viewpoint going into the theater.
and I'm certain that I would leave with loopstationzebra's attitude about it, no doubt in my mind at all. Every reason it would be hard for me to stomach he mentioned, and I'm probably more critical than he is on films, as he was conned into seeing it again and hating it, again...

I'm kind of a movie buff. I can tolerate bad horror and comedy films and that's about it. For action adventure and sci-fi I need a lot of substance, (or bullets in the case of John Woo films etc.), but mainly I like movies about people and heavy on the plot. Ingmar Bergman is one of my favorite directors, I've seen every Tennessee Williams adaptation for film etc. I've actually been trying not so successfully to bow out of this thread, as I've said my piece and it really wasn't to dog anybody for liking the movie, but because the title is a question, "Is anyone else MASSIVELY excited to see Avatar?" and my answer is nope, not really, but like most questions in life an opinion isn't wanted unless you agree with the person asking, and if the opinion isn't positive, it's attacked for that reason etc. :arrow:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 am

Maybe I should have called it "Is anyone BARELY excited to see to see Avatar".

Probably a safer option around here anyway...

:lol:
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:04 am

Tarekith wrote:Maybe I should have called it "Is anyone BARELY excited to see to see Avatar".

Probably a safer option around here anyway...

:lol:
How about? "Excited to see to see Avatar? Post here!" or "Did you love Avatar as much as I did?"
That way I wouldn't have posted at all. :lol:

...or how about "Anyone else want to argue about whether Avatar is any good?" or "Anyone who isn't interested in Avatar is FAIL!"
then at least I would be aware of what I was getting into. :lol: :lol: :lol:

aizo

Post by aizo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 am

I enjoyed the movie. I believe it falls under the guilty pleasure category. I had fun watching and I want to go see it again.
I can't see why everyone is so upset about the movie. It's like going to McDonald's and complaining that you burger isn't made
from filet meat.
ImageImage

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:55 am

Most people here who complain about cliche's are also those people who just make music that just sound like
Boom ts Boom ts Boom ts WHOLE the way (or an 7 minute long tone). It's cliche but I see many people dig that stuff. Not my kind of music,
but if it's produced brilliantly I would give it a try. Same with Avatar, right. It's eye-candy. And it's really good. IMO

Leon Tricker

Post by Leon Tricker » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:24 pm

I saw 'Moon' yesterday, and I just got back from seeing 'Avatar' today. 'Moon' cost a whole lot less to make, had no flashy visuals, was half as long... and was about 100 times more satisfying as a piece of cinema.

Avatar looks incredible, although it's not the best 3D film I've seen. I'd be interested to see the 2D version as I'm not sure what the 3D was adding in Avatar. But after about 45 minutes of nice visuals I was screaming out for a plot to keep my interest.

I don't know why this film needs to be so long. Clearly Mr Cameron feels it necessary to repeatedly bash his audience over the head with clumsy metaphor/allegory in an attempt to cover the abscence of meaningful character development.

derzai

Post by derzai » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:41 pm

No.

Still have to watch Titanic.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:52 pm

I figure that District 9 is more an 'Adult' theme scifi, whereas Avatar is the family feel good kinda movie. Both fun to see, but totally different in their target audience.

Haven't seen Moon yet though.

Zebra, wtf would you see it twice if you hated it so much the first time? FWIW I knew exactly what was going to happen in every scene also, but it was just so farkin good looking that I forgot about it :) You're not watching some piratebay version on a 12" screen at home are you?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:29 pm

you know... all this talk of how good it looks and it being the same as all the rest in the end reminds me...

:idea: i feel the same way about chicks :!:
i find one that looks good, hook up and enjoy all of her - 3D style. Then its back to the same old story line. :|

The movie difference/bonus:
1.) I get to walk out at the end of a movie without so much as a word whispered.
2.) Movies are way cheaper.
3.) I can (and probably will) enjoy a movie with a friend.
4.) Movies don't care if you talk bad about them.
5.) You can walk out on a movie and they don't even notice.
6.) Movies have nice breasts too...
7.) Movies don't bother me when I want to make music.
8.) Movies don't complain if I haven't shaved when I go down to the lower levels.
9.) No matter how many movies you see in a day they never wonder if you were watching other movies.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:53 pm

Just got back from watching it in 3D. MInd was blown in terms of SFX, Story was one of my favorite types (nature against technology) Could have been done better but was really enjoyable. The main bad guy was shite and the blue alien chick was oddly hot. Probably one of the best Blockbusters i have seen in years. I highly recommend it.