Warp acapella vocals that start on 2nd or 3rd beat of 4?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Slapdash

Warp acapella vocals that start on 2nd or 3rd beat of 4?

Post by Slapdash » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Done a hip hop beat. Need the lyrics "I never KNEW a love", and the 'KNEW' is on the 1st beat of a bar. How would i go about warping it to fit my beat so that the quantization queus the vocal track to start on in a place that makes the 'KNEW' land on the next start of a bar?
soundcloud.com/slapdash

aeon_flux

Re: Warp acapella vocals that start on 2nd or 3rd beat of 4?

Post by aeon_flux » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:09 pm

how about moving start marker?

Slapdash

Post by Slapdash » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:26 am

But doesn't that just start the clip at the start marker? So it would trigger at the first beat of the bar, but miss the first few words of the vocal.
soundcloud.com/slapdash

PeteJohn

Post by PeteJohn » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:55 am

hmm what you could do is move the marker 4 beats ahead of the actual starting point of the acapella, and just start the acapella one bar ahead of time. That is the only solution i could think of.

dru

Post by dru » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Common - The Light? Try warp the original version and go from there.

Slapdash

Post by Slapdash » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:35 pm

flippin' 'eck! Good lyrical knowledge!

I'm afraid I still am stuck. It's an accapella, so 'moving the marker 4 beats ahead of...' seems terribly innacurate. Also, 'Warp the original version'? So I'd warp the acappela and original side by side? How?

There really should be a launch quantize option that allows you to qeue up a clip so it launches on a beat other than the '1'...Or IS there?
soundcloud.com/slapdash

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:19 pm

You can change the Global Quantize (there are even some handy Ctrl+7, 8, 9, or 0 commands for it) And if your clip is set to 'global' as its own quantization, you should be able to ride with that.. or you can just set that clip specifically to your desired quantization. 1/4??

Another thing that I was thinking was, using the Arrangement view, and anticipating where you want it to hit.. then once the marker comes to that point.. it just kind of pops in. The key to not fucking that up though involves making sure that the little red box on the top is OFF, so that the Arrangement View overrides the Session View.

On the topic of Arrangement View, there is another really fun thing I like to play with. (although it does jumble shit up something fierce). When you place a flag locator on top of the arrangement view and midi/key-map it, you can press that note and Live jumps to that spot, even if you are using Session View. It would probably work very well with that accapella. You could experiment with quantizations (at one bar, it might try slipping in even before the bar). The extra interesting note on that is it also resets your clips! So you have to be extra careful at what position your clips are expected to play.

If you have it on the start of bar 5, your clips will jump to their start of bar 5. (If it is looping for 4 bars, then that might actually work out quite well). This mapping of the locator flags is extra fun for jumbling the fuck out of a loop (because you can also set like, 8 markers on every 8th note haha.. and keep hopping around on them).

I hope this gave you something to think about WITHOUT completely distracting you from your original goal!

lord toranaga

Post by lord toranaga » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:40 pm

you could always add the necessary beats to the beginning of the sample, cut and paste style.

just put a few claps before the vocal stars
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga