Plug a controller after launching live : it is not detected

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
onosendai

Plug a controller after launching live : it is not detected

Post by onosendai » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Why Live is not able to detect a USB controler plugged after booting live ? It happend sometimes, when you forget to connect all your controler, or when you are on stage and walk on a cable and plug out a controler... It's not easy to do it seemlesly ?

mikemc

Re: Plug a controller after launching live : it is not detected

Post by mikemc » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:01 pm

onosendai wrote:Why Live is not able to detect a USB controler plugged after booting live ? It happend sometimes, when you forget to connect all your controler, or when you are on stage and walk on a cable and plug out a controler... It's not easy to do it seemlesly ?
Live doesn't detect USB devices, I think, the OS does, so Live gets it's information from the OS at startup and proceeds accordingly. But I've thought the same thing, if it would be possible to do a "rescan devices" the same way that you can rescan your VST folder.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:03 pm

onosendai wrote:Why Live is not able to detect a USB controler plugged after booting live ? It happend sometimes, when you forget to connect all your controler, or when you are on stage and walk on a cable and plug out a controler... It's not easy to do it seemlesly ?
welcome to one, if not my biggest complain ever!

NI does manage it with traktor and USB and firewire devices... but it seems to be a struggle for ableton.

you are on windows i assume?

osx does manage it, but it's not an excuse, the damn apps should rescan every 5 seconds in the background. it's made for live use right? at least that was the intention.
*** Image GAFM ***

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:04 pm

it just works

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:17 pm

timothyallan wrote:it just works
+1 on this... :wink:

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:25 pm

[quote="SubFunk the damn apps should rescan every 5 seconds in the background. it's made for live use right? at least that was the intention.[/quote]

I'd prefer rescan on demand, to avoid wasted cycles, but yes it sure seems like it should rescan somehow.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

onosendai

Post by onosendai » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:49 am

> you are on windows i assume?

Yes i am, and like you said, it work for Traktor so it could be possible to do the same with Live.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:17 pm

onosendai wrote:> you are on windows i assume?

Yes i am, and like you said, it work for Traktor so it could be possible to do the same with Live.
oh well, they ignore it, it's a LIVE application... you know? so why on earth would ever come a cable out of your system in a club / venue? tssss... you are funny! jeeez... man, just restart, gives your punters time to get a round of drinks at the bar in the meantime, you know?
*** Image GAFM ***

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:24 pm

SubFunk wrote:
onosendai wrote:> you are on windows i assume?

oh well, they ignore it, it's a LIVE application... you know? so why on earth would ever come a cable out of your system in a club / venue? tssss... you are funny! jeeez... man, just restart, gives your punters time to get a round of drinks at the bar in the meantime, you know?
Double check everything before you start playing and anything you don't want to come loose, get the gaffa tape on it!

I do agree, if it's possible to rescan for controllers, then Live should have it, but it's not Live's problem for poor preparation by the user :wink:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Sage wrote:I do agree, if it's possible to rescan for controllers, then Live should have it, but it's not Live's problem for poor preparation by the user :wink:
stoopid excuse, it's not about poor prep, and duct tape of gaffa tape is everything but professional :wink: . it's a live use application, so damn design it for that purpose, and it is possible, many others do! to prepare for the not at all unlikely event a cable get's pulled out. it not even have to be yourself, just be in a crowded DJ booth... and someone next to you is setting up in the dark (very unlikely event he? :roll: )... pulling one of your cables by mistake, that all happens, you know? i mean i don't know, maybe you always played in perfect setup clubs?

see this thread... http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133225

i don't blame, but well yes i do expect to fulfil there name and design a 100% for live use.
*** Image GAFM ***

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:45 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Sage wrote:I do agree, if it's possible to rescan for controllers, then Live should have it, but it's not Live's problem for poor preparation by the user :wink:
stoopid excuse, it's not about poor prep, and duct tape of gaffa tape is everything but professional :wink: . it's a live use application, so damn design it for that purpose, and it is possible, many others do! to prepare for the not at all unlikely event a cable get's pulled out. it not even have to be yourself, just be in a crowded DJ booth... and someone next to you is setting up in the dark (very unlikely event he? :roll: )... pulling one of your cables by mistake, that all happens, you know? i mean i don't know, maybe you always played in perfect setup clubs?

see this thread... http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133225

i don't blame, but well yes i do expect to fulfil there name and design a 100% for live use.
I'm not a DJ, so not used to booths and more playing in bands on stages.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:21 pm

on os x older versions of live got it when you pluged a controler later..that this dont happens anymore is a new feature.. can come in handy on stage :-(
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dburns

Post by dburns » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Most of the software I use, maybe all of it, will not detect a USB device that it connected after the program is running. This includes Live, Sonar, Brainspawn Forte, Kore 2, any stand-alone synth, etc. It's not peculiar to Live, so I don't see any need to blame Ableton for behaving like other music apps. I'd suspect it's a Windows limitation.

All you need to do is restart the app. I've had it happen during shows, so I know it's no fun. If my Korg nanoKontrol gets disconnected during a live show, I have to close my apps and restart them, or just go on without it until there is a natural break. Sometimes I have to reboot the machine. It's not fun, but it's not the fault of the software.
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 pm

I think it's a damn good idea to have it.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:38 pm

dburns wrote:Most of the software I use, maybe all of it, will not detect a USB device that it connected after the program is running. This includes Live, Sonar, Brainspawn Forte, Kore 2, any stand-alone synth, etc. It's not peculiar to Live, so I don't see any need to blame Ableton for behaving like other music apps. I'd suspect it's a Windows limitation.
/those are all not apps that are purposely designed for a live/stage use... lame to compare.
and it is a windows problem, osx takes care of it. but not windows, and other apps actually designed for live / stage use are doing that under windows, as well. go figure.
*** Image GAFM ***