Post your setups!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KrisM

Re: Post your setups!

Post by KrisM » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:49 am

Computer:
13.3" Macbook unibody
OS X 10.6.2
2.4 GHz
2GB RAM
250GB

Hosts:
Ableton Live 8.1
Numerology 2.2
Buzz, bitchez ;) NOT via VM

Synths:
Alchemy
Scanned Synth Pro2
Rapture
Ultra Analog VA-1
Crystal
Orca
KickMaker

Effects:
Eos
CamelSpace
CamelCrusher
M30

Sample Libraries and Live Packs:
Soniccouture -
Konkrete 1&2
Tube Drums
Devlifish
Puremagnetik -
PM Grand
B-System: Basses and Leads
Various sample DVDs from magazines.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. But that's what I use most often.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:55 am

here's mine :

computer : Apple imac(2007 model.2.4ghz core2duo,4 gb ddr2 ram,320 gb hdd.
audio interface : Apogee Duet.
Monitors : Mackie HR824(mk1).
acoustically treated room(Auralex,Wave Panels,Universal Acoustics).
controllers : Akai apc-40,Novation Remote sl 37.
music software : Ableton Live 8,Max for Live,............Absynth 5,Reaktor 5,Alchemy(will probably stop using those 3 after i've learned Max for Live though.too much clutter).
dynamics : Sonalksis sv-315,CQ-1,DQ-1,Izotope Ozone 4(only use limiter).
Eq : Sonalksis sv-517,DQ-1.
reverb : Reaktor 5 spacemaster or Audio Damage Eos.

coming soon :

- akai mpk 25(to replace my crappy Novation).
-N.I.'s Maschine AFTER it gets updated to version 1.5.
Last edited by 33tetragammon on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:22 pm

Hardware
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody 2.4Ghz 4Gb Ram - Great, stable and pretty nippy laptop.
Apogee Duet - The clean sound of this is incredible, both in and out.
KRK r6 Monitors - Great monitors for the price, will soon be upgrading to Adam A7s though.
Numark PT-01 Turntable - For quick and dirty portable vinyl sampling.
Oxygen G2 25 Keyboard - With macros setup correctly in Live, this is my little synth.
M-Audio Prokeys 88 - For when I want to majorly work on compositions with both hands.
Novation Launchpad - Great way to sketch ideas out in Session view. Quite useful in many ways actually.
Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones - Really are the best headphones I've heard for the price and nicely match my KRKs.
AKG C414B Microphone - Wicked, clear, quality microphone I use for recording instruments/sounds/foley etc.

Software
Live 8, Operator, Sampler - This is my ideal combo in Live. Operator and Sampler are fantastic sound design tools.
NI Kontakt 3 - Soon to be v4. Great for real basses, pianos, strings (with the right 3rd party libraries).
NI Absynth 4 - Soon to be v5. Another excellent sound design tool. And for 'filler' soundscapes and textures in tunes.
Addictive Drums - Fantastic sounding, versitile, lightweight (resource wise) drum module. I love using this making my own breaks.
Abbey Roads Plugin Bundle - These are fantastic, but only in the right situation. The compressor and brilliance pack are golden.
SoundToys Bundle - Soon to include Decapitator. Steller effects for when you want something a little special.
FabFilter Pro-Q - One of the finest digital EQs I've ever used/heard. Top quality sound on this one, doesn't fuck with the bass at all.
FabFilter Pro-C - I love using this compressor to squash the shit out of things, in a 'creative' manner.
Sonalksis SV315Mk2 Compressor - Super tight compressor that's fantastic at making loose drums sound tight as fuck.
Audio Damage Dubstation - Cheeky little delay unit that sounds great.
Audio Damage EOS - Lush creative reverb that can go on forever. Wicked for mad spaces.
LiquidSonic Reverberate - Recent addition convolution reverb. Elegant little plugin, with the right impulses.
Ohm Force Predatohm - Great sounding distortion unit. Has a lush musical sound to it.
Ohm Force OhmBoyz - Great sounding four tap delay unit.
Voxengo Elephant Limiter - Top drawer software limiter. Plenty of options and can be pushed to fuck if you so desire.
Audiofile Engineering Wave Editor - I love this as my audio editor. Does everything I want and nothing I don't.

...apart from upgrading to better quality things (the KRKs to Adam A7s, the Numark portable deck to a Project or something, newer versions of software like Kontakt etc) I can't see what else I would ever need :)
Last edited by moreofmorris on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:24 pm

for performance:
Elitebook 2730p from HP
Audio 8 DJ / Audio Kontrol 1
different Faderfoxies
Launchpad

at home:
some quadcore + 24"
Audio Kontrol 1
same faderfoxies + launchpad
an axis 49 keyboard
m1active 520 speakers
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:41 pm

monstrejumo wrote:
8O wrote:MacBook Pro - wonderful workhorse, almost perfect, which make the little niggles even more annoying, still working fine after getting half a pint of beer spilled on it
MOTU Ultralite - no broken knobs, no driver problems, works beautifully, carried it around a lot and still no problems, love having so many inputs and outputs, still working fine after getting the other half pint of beer spilled on it
Genelec 8030 - wonderful, clear, in your face transparent and revealing, only upgrade I'd make to them is to move apartment to give them more room for perfect placement
Waldorf Pulse - my first hardware synth, still my go-to synth for basslines, matrix editing is a pain, but you get used to it, small enough to get into a bag and take to jam sessions, looks ugly, but less ugly than the...
Waldorf Microwave XT - my second synth, a knob for every occasion, getting some wonderful, unearthly sounds out of it and have barely scratched the surface of its capabilities, looks ugly
M-Audio UC-33e - in wood-effect vinyl, what can you say, the classic, trustworthy controller, disadvantage: no endless rotaries or motorised sliders like the Behringer BCR/BCF, advantage: not a Behringer.
M-Audio Keystation 61-ES - purchased out of frustration due to not being able to find a nice compact 25-key controller with a nice key action, but now I'm completely used to 5 octaves
Stylophone - cheap Chinese copy, played live through piles of reverb and delays and resonators, love the clunky lo-tech interface
Hoefner Shorty electric guitar - the travel guitar, complete rubbish, but still less rubbish than my guitar playing, any thing better would really be wasted on me, could take it as hand-luggage on business trips and practise guitar in the evenings instead of wining and dining clients, passengers on the planes look suspiciously at you as the guitar bag looks vaguely rifle-shaped

There you go... Interestingly, all of those items I would definitely buy again...
:D
wise choices made. :D

the stuff i still own and all use:

macbook pro: runs OSX, no explanation needed.

genelec 8030s, only get replaced if i move into a bigger room that needs the power of the 8040s or 8050s, best investment ever made. i love them to death!!!

presonus firebox: suits my set up (quality of signal chain) i hardly do recordings with it, mainly recording my EA-1 and ER-1 sounds with it, occasional a mic recording, it's enough for that,
and it's a hell of a reliable workhorse, and an 'issue' to me a 100 timers more important then only the factor sound quality. if i would do more mic or acoustic material recordings at home, i would buy another interface, surely. (i usually use a different facility / gear for that)

korg EA-1 / ER-1 got them both when they first came out, was my first 'live gig setup' two midi cables and a dj mixer and of you go...!!!
still love the EA-1 sounds and use it, also the drum machine for programming beats and then recording them (midi) into live or logic, i love the swing of the sequencer, drum sound wise rarely in use.

lexicon mpx-100 serves well for electronic stuff, mainly for the rotary cabinet emulation.

korg kaoss pad -1, still in use, loads of great low-fi effects and crunchy sampling.

roland XP-30: well a classic, beautiful keyboard (physical feel of the keys, one of the best synth keys i came across and the main reason i bought it)
plus the legendary JV sound module engine built in having over 1500 standard sounds that still stand the test of time... in use.

tons of external drives, for backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, backup, and backup.

a plextor 716. no comment. you know or you don't why.

and my yamaha SU 10 pocket lo-fi sampler, i don't use anymore, except for the buttons for triggering midi, but i can't get rid of it, it was my first ever item i bought to make electronic music at home... and i used that and a simple tape deck to sample and arrange tracks. (so much to: 'what you need to make music')

korg padkontrol, my favourite midi controller and used permanently for nearly everything, clips, beats, melodies, basslines, etc. etc. (if i only could have one controller than it would be 100% this one) i also used to DJ with it, it's perfect for it, especially in addition with farmpad.

korg nanokontrol, i got it as a gift, love it, use it a lot and it replaced my padkontrol for DJ-ing, just because of the size...

sennheiser hd 280, great cheap (incredible bang for the buck) headphones for tracking, very happy with them... when they die, i get sony mdr 7506 instead.
sennheiser hd 25 mkII, got em for free, great ear destroyers, the loudest headphones on earth for the deaf, got 'em therefor i use them for DJ-ing, would not buy them myself. they fuck up your hearing. would get 7506 instead.

quality cabling throughout, no nonsense, just sensible quality and good plugs.

i figured over the years a perfect interaction and signal flow... this setup now has not changed a bit in over 2 years.

i don't mention all the little periphery, like USB hubs, etc.

software, well i did not bought much, i am in a lucky NFR situation... Live i bought, tough... and is actually the only audio apps i ever spend money on.
some of my most used ones: live8 suite (no M4L, yet!?!), logic pro8, bias peak pro6, the whole AAS bundle, bias masteringperfectionsuite, traktor pro, crystal

it's my perfect setup, i might consider changing the soundcard and a good private mic collection in the future... i used to have access to about 200 different mics and several preamps, interfaces, etc., etc. at my old employer... some of that i can still just borrow for a bargain if i need it, so as long as i don't use any of it very regular there is no need for it.

basically tried to strip everything down over the years to an absolute bare minimum, which i could do even further and would be a good thing, but i have an emotional attachment to some of it... like the SU-10 and XP-30...

i like the idea of having only a good computer (laptop), my 8030s, a soundcard and one controller and make track after track after track.*
*well i am getting there to just chuck stuff out and out and out.

EDIT: i forgot, i have a scratchamp2 i also got for free, i use it for DJ-ing / live performances, great, great interface, way underestimated, it did not had much of a chance to see the light of day, because FS2 died shortly after that came out... it was sold separately as well and is a killer. however, if i would be in need of a new performing sound card, it would be most probably a NI audio DJ8.

cheers.
Last edited by SubFunk on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

Icaro Ferre

Post by Icaro Ferre » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Hardware
Macbook White Core2Duo 2.16 Ghz, 2 GB DDR2 and 120 HD - My old macbook (:
Macbook Pro 13'' Core2Duo 2.26 Ghz, 3 GB DDR2 and 160 HD - My new macbook, yey!
PreSonus Firebox - I really like this interface, its not as good as a MOTU but it doesn't disappoint me, 1 powered input for the mic, another for plugin my iPod and 2 mono inputs on the back that I use to connect my mixer.
KRK Rokit5 - Great monitors for a cheap price
Sony MDR-7505 - Great headphones for monitoring (:
MyBook (external HD) 640GB - 400 GB left
Korg PadKONTROL - I LOVE it! Really useful when it comes to creating drum grooves. The pads light up so you can get a really nice feedback of what pads you're hitting.
M-Audio Axiom 25 - Hm, a nice keyboard controller. 25 keys, enough for me.
M-Audio XSession-Pro - Not the best controller but hey, I got it for 40 dollars.
Novation Nocturn - Automap is REALLY helpful when you need bunch of knobs to work on your live set.
AudioTechnica AT2020 - Condenser mic, I use it to record some vocals.
Behringer DX052 - Mixer for DJing
Pair of Pioneer CDJ-100S - for DJing

Software
Ableton Live Suite 8 (operator, sampler, analog, blabla..) - DAW
Logic Pro 9 - DAW
OSCulator - I use this to decode OSC into MIDI. Use it with TouchOSC
Sylenth1 ? A nice synth and really easy to use
TC Electronics M30 Reverb - Got it for free! :P

And tons of music apps on my iPod Touch 2G such as Beatmaker, Noise.IO and etc… :D
Last edited by Icaro Ferre on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:39 pm

jeez, you guys are really all dry. :roll:

do you all have german ancestors? being so lifeless!
*** Image GAFM ***

Icaro Ferre

Post by Icaro Ferre » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:55 pm

There you go, edited :P
A tiny review of each thing and some colors! haha :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Icaro Ferre wrote:There you go, edited :P
A tiny review of each thing and some colors! haha :D
hi hi, what a little bit of joking around can accomplish. :D
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Icaro Ferre wrote: PreSonus Firebox - I really like this interface, its not as good as a MOTU but it doesn't disappoint me
Korg PadKONTROL - I LOVE it! Really useful when it comes to creating drum grooves. The pads light up so you can get a really nice feedback of what pads you're hitting.
i can totally share that!
*** Image GAFM ***

Icaro Ferre

Post by Icaro Ferre » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:45 pm

The Padkontrol is getting kinda old but I can't see myself drumming on tiny pads like the ones on the Launchpad / Monome. They're pretty good when it comes to lauching clips but there's nothing like a PadKONTROL for drumming.

I love my Nocturn as well but its the second unit that I get and I'm having the same problem, a broken knob, on Automap the value of the knob gets stuck between 0 and 1. :'(

I don't have any expansive equipment and tons of VSTs and all of that. I just try to make music with what I have instead of complaining about what I don't have. And yeah, I live in Brazil, I have palm trees in my house and a beautiful sunshine, thats more than enough to inspire me.

Edit: can't think about any better place to live (:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:57 pm

Icaro Ferre wrote:I don't have any expansive equipment and tons of VSTs and all of that. I just try to make music with what I have instead of complaining about what I don't have. And yeah, I live in Brazil, I have palm trees in my house and a beautiful sunshine, thats more than enough to inspire me.
spot on. (well a stable software is nice to have for that :wink: ) that is all i am missing, and i need to get out of here again at some point rather quickly, it's killing my soul.

i mean i left because i was unhappy, but i was stupid enough to come back. stupid me. what i was expecting ever changing here?
Last edited by SubFunk on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

DaffyDub

Post by DaffyDub » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Imac running LIVE 8 suite
Macbook Air LIVE 8 Suite
Novation Nocturne
TriggerFinger

Sonus Faber Amp
Sonus Faber Speakers
B&W subwoof

Beats by Dre & Grado Labs headphones

Mixing desks:
Allen & Heath Zed 428
Mackie Onyx 1220
Synths, Drum machines...
Monomachine
Studio Electronics ATC-Xi
Polysix (with built in Midi)
TB-303
Mopho
Blofeld
Gotharman DeMoon
MFB 503
TR-505
Boss DR 110
Boss dr. 55
Korg EX 8000
Yamaha FB 01
Cheetah MS-6
"Altoids" Atari punk console
Casio VL 1
"Freakenspeak" (circuit bent speak & read)
Effects, compressors:
MoogerFooger delay
MoogerFooger phaser
MoogerFoogerMurf
Roland RE-20
Ibanez AD 100
Electrix Filter factory
Electrix MoFx
Jomox M-Resonator
Lexicon mx200
Motu midi express 128
TLA Ivory 5021 mkII
Waves Maxx BCL

Røde nt-1000
Røde nt-3

Norman western guitar
Ukulele

EARS

And probably some stuff I forgot to mention
Last edited by DaffyDub on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
More bass in the hihat
http://www.youtube.com/DAFFYDUBBY

first 124 posts as: Overdub

Icaro Ferre

Post by Icaro Ferre » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Hahah come to Brazil :D
Beautiful and happy ppl, nice clubs, good weather, beaches.
We do have some political and social problems but our happiness and our hope is bigger than any problem.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:04 pm

Icaro Ferre wrote:We do have some political and social problems but our happiness and our hope is bigger than any problem.
:!:
*** Image GAFM ***