No sound but tracks show audio signal movement issue

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
heyfreak

No sound but tracks show audio signal movement issue

Post by heyfreak » Sat May 23, 2009 5:44 pm

hi everybody, here is my problem:

it has happened to me that im working on Ableton (either alone or rewired into Logic 8) and while playback of the track, there is suddenly NO sound. the instrument and audio tracks show that theres sound coming from them (in their individual volume meters), but in the master there is no signal level movement at all. So for some reason it is suddenly muted.

any ideas why this might be happening?
the ableton version is 8.0.1, on MAC OS x 10.5.6 looking for solutions...

thanks!

Atardecer

Re: No sound but tracks show audio signal movement issue

Post by Atardecer » Sun May 24, 2009 3:08 am

I occasionally get this problem, usually just before a crash. No idea whats going on :cry:

heyfreak

Post by heyfreak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:34 pm

please, can anybody help me on this?

i cant work at all with this problem. channels show that theres sound coming from them, but in the master there is no signal movement and therefore no sound!

i will appreciate any help..

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Hi,

Are these Midi tracks or Audio tracks?.........OR both?

Z.

heyfreak

Post by heyfreak » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:08 pm

these are audio tracks..
and looks like the master stops putting out sound after i do something, like for example, record an automation. it has also happened that the sound turns off when a certain sample is read. i took it out of the sequence and it worked, although i put it back in and it also worked.

its more of a random thing i think...

i also took off external plugins i was using, but the bug-issue is still there. i am downloading the latest update to LIVE now and hopefully this wont be happening again..

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:02 pm

Hello again,

Well from your description it sounds like a BUG.

I suppose that you have your "problem" tracks assigned to Master or some other buss
that you're monitoring.

Other than this I have no fresh input but you can bet that someone will come up with some other suggestions.

Good luck.

Z.

posssu

Post by posssu » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:06 pm

I got into this state once, restarting Live helped (as far as I remember). But no idea why.
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live

heyfreak

Post by heyfreak » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:33 am

hi again

well, once i restart live, if i do the same event as the one that triggered the bug, the problem is still there. if i try something else then it sometimes works.

i havent installed the 8.0.4 just yet, but i will later today...news to follow..

Origin

Post by Origin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:35 am

Hey all,

Having this exact problem in 8.1.1 (!).

I really need a solution, even if it involves digging out one of the crash-backup files. Thanks much for any input.

_origin

Origin

Post by Origin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:43 am

In a side note, one of my tracks had a clip that went out to more than 1 million bars. I discovered this when I tried to freeze the track for troubleshooting purposes and Ableton asked for 90,000 GB of disc space. Could this have something to do with the audio not being routed to the master or output 1-2? Each of my tracks is sending a signal, but that signal never arrives at it's destination.

Thoughts? Anyone who's had this bug experienced the extra-long track?

Thanks,

-Origin

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Together,

Do these mutings happen also when live is running stand alone?

If you have a reproducable case you may send me a (small as possible ;-) ) self contained live set to mayrock@ableton.com and a step-by-step instructions so I can try to reproduce.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

Origin

Post by Origin » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:56 am

This occured on 8.1.1 btw.

Session is still useless... I can send the audio out to external outputs, and to other programs, but any audio going to the master fader is silent. There are no plugins on the Master.

OSX. 10.5.8 Mac pro Quad 7gb ram.

_origin

niyo80

Post by niyo80 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:17 pm

it happens also to me, usually at the beginning as i open a live set, sometimes i have to restart more that one time to get it to work, it doesnt seem to happen only with specific livestes, but looks quite random.
another thing that happens often, and also randomly, is midi notes that repeat by them self: if i keep pressed a key (computer keyboard, or midi keyboard)the note will repeat in some pattern instead of having a coninuous note, this happens both with an instrument in the midi track and with an empty midi track ( i can see in from the meter), and if i record that note in a midi clip the repetitions will be recorded. usually i have to restart more than once to solve it.

zendrummer

Post by zendrummer » Tue May 25, 2010 5:53 pm

I think i figured out at least what this is related to . . .

This is my first post by the way . . .

I got it to work by going into Preferences/Audio/Output Config and chaning the configuration to 1/2 Stereo.

It wasn't working with Mono alone clicked.

Does that make sense?

solconnection

Post by solconnection » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:42 pm

this happens to me also :(

what can usually cause it is when in arrangement view, you accidentally drag the entire arrangement (because live annoyingly 'selects all' very easily). It is something to do with having automation on the master channel, because if i select the entire arrangement and drag it, but skip the channels for master and the sends (everything below that slightly thicker grey dividing line) then this doesn't happen, but if i just select everything and then i drag live will stop outputting sound and there is *nothing* i can do to get it back...all the channels seem to be outputting sound but nothing comes out the master.

ps. 8.1.1, osx 10.6.3