Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ethios4

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Apple may not have been the first, but they historically have been the ones to really break open the market. The Apple II undeniably changed the personal computer world, as did the Apple OS that MS copied to get Windows, as did the iPod, iPhone, and iTunes. I'm a pretty dedicated MS user, but I concede that Apple kicks major ass, although I have a strong dislike for the way they like to lock down their products.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:13 pm

ethios4 wrote:Apple may not have been the first, but they historically have been the ones to really break open the market. The Apple II undeniably changed the personal computer world, as did the Apple OS that MS copied to get Windows, as did the iPod, iPhone, and iTunes. I'm a pretty dedicated MS user, but I concede that Apple kicks major ass, although I have a strong dislike for the way they like to lock down their products.
I agree 100%. I have a Mac but I don't like the lock down either. There's plenty of things I don't love about Apple. That doesn't mean they haven't had a huge affect on things.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:26 pm

anybody human wrote:Ok you're right about the minutia but in the popular imagination they did. They created the market for personal computers, the idea that a person would or could have one. That's the important change and they made it happen. But that's no big deal according to you. Actually, that's a good enough reason to hate anyone who ever bought or talked about their products. That of the implication of your statements.

Who's ego? You're the one throwing around "you fanboys suck". That sounds like a judgement that you're better than me. I'm discussing a fascinating inventions, my bad. You know the facts, I'm an uninformed fanboy, I suck. Bill Gates rules, Steve Jobs is a talentless hack. Happy?

No.. but according to Apple and Justin Long, I never will be so long as I keep using Windows... right?!?!

My question to you as an appreciater of Apple products and innovation... If they are that good, why is their entire campaign aimed at just attempting to make everything Microsoft does look bad? Why not tell us what's so great about the products instead of playing a song and having shadow people dance around? Tell us why we should spend more money to get less powerful and slightly older technology than is available to the PC users.

These, among other reasons, are why I don't like Apple and won't use their products. There is no value to me in what they deem as advantages over Windows.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 pm

there are some products I will never buy because of the people that use them. this includes Apple computers, American muscle cars and tofu.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm

McQ714 wrote:If they are that good, why is their entire campaign aimed at just attempting to make everything Microsoft does look bad? Why not tell us what's so great about the products instead of playing a song and having shadow people dance around?
Wait, those two statements don't add up. Unless you're saying that playing songs and having shadow people somehow makes Microsoft look bad? Is that what you're saying? If not, then you must agree that their entire campaign is not aimed at making Microsoft look bad, right?
Unsound Designer

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm

McQ714 wrote: Tell us why we should spend more money to get less powerful and slightly older technology than is available to the PC users.
And that is one of the main reasons I use a PC. The Mac OS costs around $1000 from what I can tell. That and the wealth of 3rd party software and mods available for PC. Of course, I've been using PCs since my first PCjr in 1984. If I was just getting into computers I might very well have gone with a Mac.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:38 pm

stringtapper wrote:
McQ714 wrote:If they are that good, why is their entire campaign aimed at just attempting to make everything Microsoft does look bad? Why not tell us what's so great about the products instead of playing a song and having shadow people dance around?
Wait, those two statements don't add up. Unless you're saying that playing songs and having shadow people somehow makes Microsoft look bad? Is that what you're saying? If not, then you must agree that their entire campaign is not aimed at making Microsoft look bad, right?

you're absolutely right!

let me correct my mistake... entire *Mac campaign

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 pm

McQ714 wrote:
stringtapper wrote:

you're absolutely right!

let me correct my mistake... entire *Mac campaign
And it is a silly campaign. And I'm an Apple user since 1984.
Unsound Designer

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 pm

McQ714 wrote:
anybody human wrote:... They did invent the personal computer, change the phone, and come up with a music delivery system model where atleast people pay for music...
This is exactly why iFanboys suck. They are completely misinformed. Where the fuck do you get your info from?

i'm pretty sure the ibm 5100 was the first personal/portable/destop computer. it was released a year before the Apple I which wasn't actually a full system as it didn't even have a case.

continuing on... iphone wasn't the first touchscreen media playing phone. and itunes wasn't the first digital music store.

Apple has never come up with an idea first! they just rip off other ideas, maybe add some features, and mass-market the products. while this is very smart, they are not innovators.
Can we parley this into a creationism vs. evolution debate?

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 pm

beats me wrote:Can we parley this into a creationism vs. evolution debate?
This is exactly why the Bible sucks. It's completely full of shit. Where the fuck did they get the info from?
I'm pretty sure that man evolved from the ape. Apes have been around far longer than man, which wasn't actually the modern human as we know it until about 200,000 years ago.
Continuing on.. women didn't come from one man's ribs and eve wasn't even the first female.
The Bible stole many of it's ideals from much older texts, and many of the writings of Jesus and his followers were excluded from the Bible.

Speaking of mass-marketing, has any idea ever been so widely accepted and at the same time unoriginal?

How'd I do, Beats???

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 pm

The Bible is like a Mac....it just works!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Pitch Black wrote:-1
+1 minus. Maybe its time to become an apple fanboy again? ..MusT...gO.....agAinSt...tHe flOw..

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:50 pm

ethios4 wrote:The Bible is like a Mac....it just works!
I puked in my mouth.

both turn people into assholes.
both make people force their own tastes onto others.

neither are things I care about.

blech, I need a beverage to wash the digested pizza taste away.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:04 am

Cool Character wrote: But really, both OSes are a total load, along with all the hardware either big OS company makes.
Yep, pretty much - except not really.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 am

McQ714 wrote:If they are that good, why is their entire campaign aimed at just attempting to make everything Microsoft does look bad?
Why do skinny kids call fat kids names like "fat ass".

Usually because they are fat asses.

The advertising is effective, it targets the hordes of people that perceive, rightly or not, Microsoft as being for the most part shit, it raises brand awareness and it brings in sales.

Why else?

I'm just wondering, why can't microsoft develop an effective ad campaign to counter or compete? They haven't even come close to creating anything even remotely memorable in terms of an ad campaign.

They are like the fat kid that gets picked on, comes up with the occasional lame retort, but for the most part just sits there looking fat and stupid while getting pelted with insults and chocolate eclairs.

Fark it. I prefer the mac and I dislike windows but I use both. Widows by day at work, Mac at home on nights and weekends.