Boss effects as plug-ins?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LaotzeSunHammer

Boss effects as plug-ins?

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 am

Hi,

I'm a long-time fan of Boss effects pedals for guitar, having probably owned over a dozen over the past 15 years. It just occurred to me that it would be amazing to have these same effects at my disposal for producing with Ableton. Does anyone know of a set of plug-ins where these effects have been modeled? Google search has not yielded many leads. If someone could lead me in the right direction I'd be so happy and busy for weeks!

Cheers,
Jay

shimmy

Re: Boss effects as plug-ins?

Post by shimmy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 am

I can't find anything either. Is there a particular 'effect(s)' you are looking for?

FYI...I just bought IK Multimedia's Amplitube 2 download today. They slashed it 67% off plus I used my $32 Jampoints towards the purchase. So, I walked away with it for only $97 dollars! I really like this plugin. I was gonna buy Guitar Rig,but, I just couldn't pass this deal up.

LaotzeSunHammer

Post by LaotzeSunHammer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:47 am

I guess I'm just looking for ANY Boss effect. I do have Guitar Rig - which is great - but I'm specifically looking for those Boss effects because the company's products hold a sentimental value for me, I'm sure you'll understand :wink:

kvitamin

Post by kvitamin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:50 am

Yah Amplitube rocks, too bad it is practically useless with ableton. It will crash the program everytime you use it.

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:53 am

LaotzeSunHammer wrote:I guess I'm just looking for ANY Boss effect. I do have Guitar Rig - which is great - but I'm specifically looking for those Boss effects because the company's products hold a sentimental value for me, I'm sure you'll understand :wink:

Ok, gotcha!

kvitamin, I haven't had one crash yet.But, if it does, I'll come back here and surely makes noise about it!

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:01 am

kvitamin wrote:Yah Amplitube rocks, too bad it is practically useless with ableton. It will crash the program everytime you use it.
k'd? :mrgreen:

shatzer

Post by shatzer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:02 am

kvitamin wrote:Yah Amplitube rocks, too bad it is practically useless with ableton. It will crash the program everytime you use it.
Wow. I've ran over 8 instances of Amplitube in one session flawlessly. (Ableton 7)

TheEclectic

Post by TheEclectic » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:04 am

I would also like to have the Boss pedals as VST's - especially the Boss GT-10 or even some of the Roland VG presets.

Audiffex has a nice array of pedals that can be used as VST plugins. Their inTone GuitarPro comes with a VST plugin to play the presets within Live, or the 'Effects Pedals' lets you load and chain the different pedals individually. http://www.audiffex.com/

I use Audiffex and Guitar Rig 4 in Live and have not had any issues. Even though it is harder to customize, I prefer Audiffex GuitarPro over Guitar Rig, especially for augmenting acoustic guitar.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:05 am

AFAIK there are no licensed software plugins of Boss FX, except UAD's CE-1 chorus.

What there are are a plethora of guitar software emulating amps and cabs with various pedal type FX as inserts, such as Guitar Rig 4, Amplitube, Waves GTR, Peavey Revalver and other hardware/software combos such as Podfarm etc.

These can be really good, but they don't fully capture the essence of micing up an amplifier fed by a pedal board etc.

What you DO NOT want to do is run your Boss FX unit DI into your audio interface unless you have some type of speaker sim software (such as the ones above or others), the sound of a DS-1 di'ed without further speaker sim processing sounds like total mush.

People's mileage varies with Amplitube but it has been known as problematic with a large proportion of Live users (and other IK multimedia software too). This doesn't mean everyone experiences problems though. I have Guitar Rig 2 and upgraded to GR4 and I like it a lot, although it still has it's weaknesses as they all do. (stability not one of them). Unlike the last poster, I think GR excels at clean tones and it's piezo acoustic simulations rule IMHO.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:38 am

if you have the actual pedals still...

why don't you create an external audio effect, and use the real thing!
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Kent_in_CO

Post by Kent_in_CO » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:40 am

Dude, I've always wondered what a bass or synthline would sound like through my old Metal Zone. I'm gonna have to dust that bad boy off and give it a shot!
Hong Kong: 2050 A.D. You're about to inject a dose of mind-altering nanobots. This is the soundtrack to your trip. https://seven7hwave.bandcamp.com/album/cyberia

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 am

Kent_in_CO wrote:Dude, I've always wondered what a bass or synthline would sound like through my old Metal Zone. I'm gonna have to dust that bad boy off and give it a shot!
I've had an urge to buy another metal zone just for that purpose.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:44 am

Bass line thru a metal zone sounds like some Sound Tribe, I know murph has some sort of distortion he likes to throw in there for some grittyness, it actually sounds pretty dope. Could be a Metal Zone for all I know..

I'm gonna bug my brother to bring home his guitar gear home so I can mess with that External Audio Plug.

alin55

Post by alin55 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:30 am

am wrote:if you have the actual pedals still...

why don't you create an external audio effect, and use the real thing!
This works fine for me - I run the Boss RE20 Space Echo pedal through Live's external audio effect...

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 am

Report tht toSupport.

NI stuff needs to be updated, If youhaven't updated it then i's buggy with live.

Check with Ni also cos it somtimes is an older component (like RTAS or such) that you didn' update.

They should sort you out. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave