Do you use nudge buttons ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dinaiz

Do you use nudge buttons ?

Post by dinaiz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:44 pm

Hey !

I'm thinking I might have missed something : I've been using Ableton Live for more than 2 years now, and I realise I absolutely NEVER used the nudge buttons. They must be usefull though, cause they have dedicated buttons on the APC 40 and stuff, but I never needed them ! :lol: I've never been DJing in live though. Only producing.

Is it something usefull for DJs ? Do you guys use them often ? What for ?

8O

Re: Do you use nudge buttons ?

Post by 8O » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Use them regularly at jam sessions where we're agreed on the same BPM, but not synched.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Very useful in Live applications, but never when producing in a studio.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:09 pm

why do men have nipples? for live situations when we agree on tempo but we're not synched? :?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Tone Deft wrote:why do men have nipples? for live situations when we agree on tempo but we're not synched? :?
:? :lol:

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:45 pm

I changed mine to the "Nug'" buttons...I reprogrammed em' where every time I hit em' a random huntin' & rifle webpage pops up in the browser. :P

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:16 pm

We use two laptops, one each. Instead of syncing over midi, we just nudge like a DJ would beatmix.
That said, 2 identical versions of Live actually falls out of sync in about 2 - 3 minutes, so we have to nudge all the time. I was thinking to report this to support, but I haven't been playing out for months, so I completely forgot about that until now. One can wonder why 2 clean and trimmed audio computers would not output the same speed. Its not vinyl after all.

sexface

Post by sexface » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:33 pm

I was just asking myself this same question! For those of you that use them: do you ever use them with the global quantize set to none? I can't tell if it's doing anything.

stallos

Post by stallos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:43 pm

use em all the time when DJing back to back with other DJs who use decks or other software not synched

this was one of the features a lot of us asked for since live 4
our wish came true!
lets you brush the platter of live!

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:43 pm

I use them constantly, both to get Live in sync with something that won't sync to Live on their own (record players, certain hardware devices, beginner drummers) and to figure out the tempo of a track before warping it by matching its playback with Live's metronome click.

Personally I think it's a brilliant feature and I'm very glad it's there. I know it wasn't always.
sexface wrote:I was just asking myself this same question! For those of you that use them: do you ever use them with the global quantize set to none? I can't tell if it's doing anything.
I'm not sure this matters - doesn't global quantize just affect clip triggering and the clip nudge buttons in the clip view? I don't think the tempo nudge buttons are affected by global quantize at all, but I'll check next chance I get.

sexface

Post by sexface » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Warrior Bob wrote:
sexface wrote:I was just asking myself this same question! For those of you that use them: do you ever use them with the global quantize set to none? I can't tell if it's doing anything.
I'm not sure this matters - doesn't global quantize just affect clip triggering and the clip nudge buttons in the clip view? I don't think the tempo nudge buttons are affected by global quantize at all, but I'll check next chance I get.
Ah, that makes sense. So, the clip nudges are affected by the global quantize, but the master nudge is not. I was thinking that nudging the clips separately could be useful in a DJ context. Not sure what I'd use it for, but still...

Thanks, Bob!