Are the Bitstream 3x controllers any good for live use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tw1nstates

Re: Are the Bitstream 3x controllers any good for live use?

Post by tw1nstates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:28 pm

I got a bit stream gathering dust in my studio.

Got it for using in the studio. . and just didn't suit my methods

Sell you mine if you like?

if you are in the Uk. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

moreofmorris

Post by moreofmorris » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:02 pm

tw1nstates wrote:I got a bit stream gathering dust in my studio.

Got it for using in the studio. . and just didn't suit my methods

Sell you mine if you like?

if you are in the Uk. . .

Sorry dude... I've already purchased an Evolution. On the look of it, only want some simple really just fuck about with and test out doing some more live alongside the Launchpad. As I researched more, I didn't hear too many good things about the Bitstream - so decided against it.

Cheers though

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:41 pm

I originally lusted after one of these and then after reading one semi dicey review in future music (about the build quality) I decided to get the novation zero instead. And now I can kick myself because I have since felt the sliders and knobs on the bitsream and they are just as solid as almost any standard dj mixer (maybe a bit too tight) and the novations build quality feels like a straight up plastic toy. Aaarg. They were the same price at the time too. I could SO kick myself.
Also My preference is for Knob pots (non endless encoders) so the bitstream would have been perfect.

question:
Anybody know of a midi controller that is just a bank of knobs? Like imagine if you took the bitsream and cropped it around only the knob section. I feel like something like that would be a bad ass addition to the apc40 or the BCF2000
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:50 pm

audiovoid wrote:question:
Anybody know of a midi controller that is just a bank of knobs? Like imagine if you took the bitsream and cropped it around only the knob section. I feel like something like that would be a bad ass addition to the apc40 or the BCF2000
Like one of these?

Post by 4.33 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:52 pm

audiovoid wrote: question:
bcr2000? :lol:

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:37 pm

4.33 wrote:
audiovoid wrote: question:
bcr2000? :lol:
Correct me if I am wrong but the BCR2000 is ALL Endless rotary encoders which, as stated in my thread, is exactly what I Do NOT want. I have a plethora of midi controllers with endless encoders and for Me they are Not optimal for Eqs, filter sweeps, etc. (I DO however love endless encoders for the fade to grey rack for some reason:)
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 pm

8O wrote:
audiovoid wrote:question:
Like one of these?

Whoa!
Almost exact although a little large and excessive. Damn. I wonder if there is a smaller version of that thing? Also Im pretty sure all of the Doepfer controllers are out of print.
Even if there wasnt a smaller version of that, I wonder if set above the Bcr or apc that the knobs and sliders on the diff units would actually line up. That has been my biggest problem to date, with trying to mix and matcg diff midi controllers.
If I had the cash flow Id just build my own or buy one of those Modular Mawzer units.

Thanks for the replies All :)
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

yush

Post by yush » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Guys- I was just about thinking of getting the bitstream as well but after reading 2 pages of its review-- probably not.

What I want is a lot of knobs and atleast 6-8 faders and one horizontal crossfader as well.

I want to be able to use this device to record my live sets and even for production.

I want to be simply be able to press the MIDI button in ableton and assign the knobs to whatever rotatory control I want on the UI.

Any suggestions?
UC 33E looks like it could be it -- I apologize but I dont understand the difference between limitless encoders etc..
I currently use the trigger finger-- which is very easy to setup and use but I need 4 times the knobs and 2 times the faders and a decent build quality.
Please let me know.
Regards,
Yush
Soundcloud.com/ashamock

ytsek

Post by ytsek » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:12 pm

About the build quality. The first version with the d-beam controllor are rock solid. The later versions with the ribbon controller, the ones built in China, are bad quality.

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:33 pm

4.33 wrote: it's a bitch to program, but once you get your head around it - it's quite flexible.
+1.

Even with the software editor it's totally not clear how to program it. But apart from that - it's damn usable.
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Carl Lofgren wrote:
4.33 wrote: it's a bitch to program, but once you get your head around it - it's quite flexible.
+1.

Even with the software editor it's totally not clear how to program it. But apart from that - it's damn usable.

ever read the manual?

the bitstream is the last real faderbox on the market that can do sysex strings and reakly do complex things..

like having a zero in the middle of a knob and sending controller 1 when turned to theleft and controler 2 when turend to the right..

what allows 2 alterante sends on one knobs..

A feature one would wish in ableton live internally.. but that again too much out of stage practize for ableton...

so ity useablelive aswell.. but..heavy..

so when you dont need the extra features an evolution is maybe better..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm

yush wrote: Any suggestions?
UC 33E looks like it could be it
totally happy UC-33e user here... does everything i expect from it, has enough controls and is pretty hard to f*ck up... mine looks like new and has gotten pretty heavy use over the years