COntroller of JUST Bank of Knobs (pots)?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
audiovoid

COntroller of JUST Bank of Knobs (pots)?

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Trying to mimic a somewhat traditional(ish) mixing desk/dj mixer-style type of a setup without having to buy something like the bitstream3x, or one of the korg or ecler hybrid dj mixer controllers.

Does Anybody know of a midi controller that is just a bank of knobs (pot knobs-Not endless encoders)? Like imagine if you took the bitstream 3x and cropped it around only the knob section. I feel like something like that would be a bad ass addition to the apc40, the BCF2000, or any other controller that only has endless encoders. Endless are great for some things but for my needs I must have at least a few banks of real Pot Knobs that are non-endless.
I have tried laying my evelution x-session, my uc-33, and my korg Nano control above my apc to attempt to mimic this mixer configuration that I am imagining but they're all different sizes and the knobs on one unit never line up verticaly and correctly with the faders on the other unit.
I feel like their must be something out the similar to what I am thinking of.

What I envision would be the most bad ass setup right now would be to have a BCF2000 with my (imaginary) box of knobs sitting directly in back of it making it appear as one unit. And this imaginary box of knobs would be preferably 8 matching rows of 3 (or 4) non-endless knobs that line up correctly with the BCF2000 channels sitting below it.
Oh god that'd be cool.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

8O

Re: COntroller of JUST Bank of Knobs (pots)?

Post by 8O » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Like I posted in the other thread: the Doepfer Drehbank? Or a second-hand Evolution UC-16?

8O

Post by 8O » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:57 pm

And if you want it to match the BCF, then, as 4.33 said in the other thread... the BCR?

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:56 pm

8O wrote:Like I posted in the other thread: the Doepfer Drehbank? Or a second-hand Evolution UC-16?
YEa the drehbank looks almost identical to what Im looking for except that its two times larger than what I would want and it's out of print (I suppose I could try and get one on ebay and pray I dont get ripped off) But then theres the issue of the vertical rows of knobs not lining up with the controller placed below it.

As for the bcr2000. That was obviously the 1st thing that I looked at. But as I stated before, I NEED non-endless encoders and the BCR is nothing But endless encoders. Plus the BCF has one row of endless encoders on it already so thats all I would need on that front. I absolutely Need a seperate controller full of NON-Endless Knobs (pots).
Something like exactly half the size of that drehbank would be perfect. God I wish I had the funds to design my own custom box
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:03 pm

You could make one of these fairly cheap, as long as you have the know-how and the tools:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox64.html

Plus, it's DIY, so if you have the aforementioned know-how, you could size it down to whatever size you like:

Otherwise, you're just going to have to deal with the endless encoders (I guess I don't really understand why you can't use those, but whatever)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 pm

i don't really get the OP either, all the controllers he mentioned make a great mixing controller, all of them.
*** Image GAFM ***

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:26 pm

john doe by choice wrote:You could make one of these fairly cheap, as long as you have the know-how and the tools:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox64.html

Plus, it's DIY, so if you have the aforementioned know-how, you could size it down to whatever size you like:

Otherwise, you're just going to have to deal with the endless encoders (I guess I don't really understand why you can't use those, but whatever)

Yea I should have mentioned That I wish I had the Funds and the Technical Know how because I don't have either. :|
Re: the endless encoders. I don't like them for eqing and filter sweeping (and I Know I am not alone on this). I like being able to feel where the knob starts and stops. Probably just used to years of dj mixers and mixing desks. Its all personal preference. And don't get me wrong I still utilize the endless encoders for some things. I just Need Non endless ones as well. And Alot of them preferably.

SubFunk wrote:i don't really get the OP either, all the controllers he mentioned make a great mixing controller, all of them.
The OP never stated that any of the mentioned controllers weren't great. They ARE all great controllers. I'm talking about personal preference here. And trying to find two different controllers that match EXACTLY my needs which obviously differ from person to person.
Of course I'm being picky here but come on. Controllers aren't cheap. And I have a plethora of different ones in my collection now that all almost (just Almost) fit my needs but fall short. If I could go back in time i'd have obviously spent all of that money on my own custom controller that is setup Exactly how I want it. But I can't. And I definitely can't now with my broke ass.
hence this thread. trying to explore my available options.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:28 pm

why do you need those non-endless pots?
bcr 2000 has led rings to display the parameters.
sure, it would be cool to have some non-endless pots, when "playing" an virtual 303 clone for instance.
i also thought about a "little" box for this purpose.

edit: oops, you answered that question.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Try to find this Doepfer unlike Pocket dial which has endless pots this one is smaller, cheaper and has no endless pots you want.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:01 pm

this looks like a pretty simple DIY to make a Pocket Control.
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/pocketelectronics/

the problem with non-endless controllers is 'encoder pickup.' you tweak a filter with a knob then change the knob to control a fader level or whatever and you have to use 'scaling' pickup mode. scaling mode works great but you lose that part of the feel.

+1 on the BCR but you've heard that story.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:03 pm

audiovoid wrote: Controllers aren't cheap. And I have a plethora of different ones in my collection now that all almost (just Almost) fit my needs but fall short.
This, in my experience, is the hallmark of controllers.

I have Doepfer Drehbanks & Pocket Dials, & can second the recommendation for the Pocket Control with pots rather than encoders. It is also no longer being made, so you'll have to take a chance on eBay. Fun, fun, fun!

Doepfer also made the Pocket Fader, a small controller with 16 faders to go along with their Pocket Control. Add these components together & you get close to simulating a traditional mixing board.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:19 pm

rikhyray wrote:Try to find this Doepfer unlike Pocket dial which has endless pots this one is smaller, cheaper and has no endless pots you want.
Damn. I want IT!
Tone Deft wrote:this looks like a pretty simple DIY to make a Pocket Control.
http://www.analoguehaven.com/doepfer/pocketelectronics/

the problem with non-endless controllers is 'encoder pickup.' you tweak a filter with a knob then change the knob to control a fader level or whatever and you have to use 'scaling' pickup mode. scaling mode works great but you lose that part of the feel.

+1 on the BCR but you've heard that story.
Yea i hear you on the encoder pickup problem. That is one bit of functionality Id have to forfeit but I plan to have a set number of channels hard wired/pre mapped to all of the controls I need rather than bank switching or controller sharing.
oblique strategies wrote:
audiovoid wrote: Controllers aren't cheap. And I have a plethora of different ones in my collection now that all almost (just Almost) fit my needs but fall short.
This, in my experience, is the hallmark of controllers.
Yes it is and thats why I wish I was rich. Id start my own midi controller manufacturing company specifically aimed at anal muthafucka's like me :)
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:27 pm

Then theres this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zga7X1yewfA
the kenton spin doctor. but that things out of print too I believe.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:08 am

audiovoid wrote: I plan to have a set number of channels hard wired/pre mapped to all of the controls I need rather than bank switching or controller sharing.
Bingo -just like an analog mixer.

There is this: Allen & Heath Zed R16 mixer: analog mixer/MIDI controller/Firewire interface all in one. Finally!
http://www.allen-heath.co.uk/zed/zed-R16.asp