Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crumhorn

Re: Pre-lineup for Apple iTablet haters

Post by crumhorn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:32 am

Is it a proper computer or just an overgrown mutant iPod?
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:16 am

i just don't understand the logic, or lack there of, in the belief that paying more for a computer that can get the same end result, is the better choice. and in some cases, paying more for a computer that just doesn't compare at all.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:39 am

McQ714 wrote:i just don't understand the logic, or lack there of, in the belief that paying more for a computer that can get the same end result, is the better choice. and in some cases, paying more for a computer that just doesn't compare at all.
And your logic isn't flawed?

Can you understand having a lot of problems and frustration on one platform and having nothing but a great experience on another and that's worth a little more money to you?

Let's say this was a car instead, all essentially just get you from A to B, and somebody keeps dropping money on lower end cars to save a buck or buy a car their mechanic friend built but they keep breaking down and they are always in the shop until one day they decide to drop some money on a Lexus and while the car cost more up front you rarely have to fix it and the customer care is top notch. Are you going to get mad at that person too or accuse them of just being hypnotized by commercials?

Sleep Tyght

Post by Sleep Tyght » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:40 am

Cool Character wrote:
Sleep Tyght wrote:KVR
KVR, against spending unhealthy amounts of money??
I mean, it's not gearslutz, and they do hate Waves. But, really?

What exactly constitutes as unhealthy? If you've earned it, deserved it, and you can afford it...then go on and enjoy it.

Omnisphere, Apple products, Waves, Poly-Ana(???), Wusik membership prices, etc. etc, etc.

If it costs more than .99 cents they'll have 99 problems with it, and a bitch ain't one.
Last edited by Sleep Tyght on Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

Sleep Tyght

Post by Sleep Tyght » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:53 am

beats me wrote:
McQ714 wrote:i just don't understand the logic, or lack there of, in the belief that paying more for a computer that can get the same end result, is the better choice. and in some cases, paying more for a computer that just doesn't compare at all.
And your logic isn't flawed?

Can you understand having a lot of problems and frustration on one platform and having nothing but a great experience on another and that's worth a little more money to you?

Let's say this was a car instead, all essentially just get you from A to B, and somebody keeps dropping money on lower end cars to save a buck or buy a car their mechanic friend built but they keep breaking down and they are always in the shop until one day they decide to drop some money on a Lexus and while the car cost more up front you rarely have to fix it and the customer care is top notch. Are you going to get mad at that person too or accuse them of just being hypnotized by commercials?

Exactly. I still use multiple PCs for tasks other than video/music chores, but as far as a PC being better than a MAC?

Well Logic is MAC ONLY. If I want to continue getting my small part time paychecks for what I can do with Final Cut Pro and Logic...it's not a matter of what's better. It's a matter of what will get the job done while putting more money in my pockets to satisfy my entertainment and Apple needs. Yeah and those yearly Live updates :lol:

I don't put down anyone for continuing to use a PC for their work. Use whatever shit you've got to create ART...to stay EMPLOYED...whatever the case may be. I can only claim that I've had a much better experience while working with Macs. And yes I already know that you, you, and YOU have had a much better experience with PCs. That's the point.

You should also use whatever shit you've got while not focusing on what the next man prefers. Not every Mac user wants to throw his tools in the next man's face and stick it down his throat. Believe it or not some of us Mac users are very much heterosexual.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:50 am

Sleep Tyght wrote:
Cool Character wrote:
Sleep Tyght wrote:KVR
KVR, against spending unhealthy amounts of money??
I mean, it's not gearslutz, and they do hate Waves. But, really?

What exactly constitutes as unhealthy? If you've earned it, deserved it, and you can afford it...then go on and enjoy it.

Omnisphere, Apple products, Waves, Poly-Ana(???), Wusik membership prices, etc. etc, etc.

If it costs more than .99 cents they'll have 99 problems with it, and a bitch ain't one.
Oh I'm not trying to persuade anyone to not spend unhealthy amounts of money wherever they can't control it. It's just strange to see someone calling KVR a place that would do that. I dunno man, we are probably from very different economic brackets because that site is far from a penny-pincher to me.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:00 pm

I was hanging out with a friend checking out his iphone apps last night. Damn that shit is sick! Unbelievable stuff going on...over 100,000 apps?!? That's a world changer right there.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:32 pm

Anger. lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:19 am

We've already had this conversation a million times before. The OS is better at USB Audio. This is an easy thing to prove, RME who have for years dogged Apple even harder than Microsoft came out with a statement saying Leopard does USB right, and Microsoft needs to take a look at what Apple has done with USB support.
Again I could give a fuck what computer you use, and how much money you saved etc. Logic, Pluggo, Digital Performer.. all mac only, and I preferred them to PC equivalents. What kills me is you actually seem to care, as if it was some sort of personal vendetta??

The car analogy isn't accurate, but it's like saying anyone who owns a Cadillac is an idiot, they should have spent the equivelant money on a japanese sports car, it's faster and less expensive etc. Face it some people enjoy a slow ride in a caddy, feels good man, deal with it. 8)

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:14 pm

Machinesworking wrote:The car analogy isn't accurate, but it's like saying anyone who owns a Cadillac is an idiot, they should have spent the equivelant money on a japanese sports car, it's faster and less expensive etc. Face it some people enjoy a slow ride in a caddy, feels good man, deal with it. 8)
I really don't know shit about cars and was just reaching for something comparable that wasn't a computer. :)

But the car analogy is good on another comparable level. I can only speak for my region on this one, but just about everybody who doesn't own one thinks anybody that has a BMW is an asshole and drives like a prick, like that car only attracts that personality type. The performance and quality of the car rarely gets into the conversation and if it does it's something like "They're nice cars but are over priced toys purchased by pretentious assholes trying to make a status statement."

freqn

Post by freqn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:22 pm

The whole Mac vs. PC/ PC vs. Mac debate is irrelevant except for forum iTrolls.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:50 pm

radialson wrote:The whole Mac vs. PC/ PC vs. Mac debate is irrelevant except for forum iTrolls.
And you just added the 3rd form of forum trolling on this subject.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:22 pm

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:The car analogy isn't accurate, but it's like saying anyone who owns a Cadillac is an idiot, they should have spent the equivelant money on a japanese sports car, it's faster and less expensive etc. Face it some people enjoy a slow ride in a caddy, feels good man, deal with it. 8)
I really don't know shit about cars and was just reaching for something comparable that wasn't a computer. :)

But the car analogy is good on another comparable level. I can only speak for my region on this one, but just about everybody who doesn't own one thinks anybody that has a BMW is an asshole and drives like a prick, like that car only attracts that personality type. The performance and quality of the car rarely gets into the conversation and if it does it's something like "They're nice cars but are over priced toys purchased by pretentious assholes trying to make a status statement."
That is a totally ridiculous statement.

I don't know anyone who thinks that about people who own or drive BMW's.

Sounds like an awful lot of unsubstantiated prejudice going on here, macs, pcs cars etc.

I personally am looking forward to seeing what the table is.

If i can control my computer from my bed and i can use it like a lemur and it's less than £600 pounds in the uk then it's an absolute no brainer cos a lemur is 2k or so.

I have got switches and knobs and faders but what i don't have is something that works like a lemur.

This hopefully could be it.

And as for macs/ pcs. Yes the hardware is a gouge. For sure. It irks me no end, but it's cool you can run the os on a pc these days and that will probably be my next computer.

macs are overpriced but the OS for me is better than windows (having used both) plus has got software that you cant get on a pc (numerology and logic). PLus they all talk to each other well and there's no setting up new bits of kit. Which is a plus although doesn't justify the 2.5 k price of a decent octo-core mac these days. . .

@ the rest of this thread:
Slagging people off cos of the tools they use is up there with picking on kids cos they had the wrong trainers at school.
Sure it's amusing and you get to show the superiority of your wit but at the end of the day it just shows you up to be childish, spiteful and a bit of a dick.

But then the interwebs seem to encourage that and discourage basic stuff like decency and treating other people humanely. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

freqn

Post by freqn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:23 pm

beats me wrote:
radialson wrote:The whole Mac vs. PC/ PC vs. Mac debate is irrelevant except for forum iTrolls.
And you just added the 3rd form of forum trolling on this subject.
I think you meant to say "iTrolling"
Last edited by freqn on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:45 pm

of all the analogies you could've gone with, the car one makes the most sense.

i drive a 4runner. and while i wouldn't get a scion because that would get me from point A to B, i wouldn't buy a lexus as i think they are overpriced. i'd rather have a tahoe than an escalade too.

i guess it's all about preferences and i can't say that i'll never bring up the issue again, but i can understand that a OS X offers some tools that windows does not.

and to MW... we weren't comparing OSes based on which runs a usb audio interface better. and just because RME makes a comment like that, as much as i respect RME, doesn't prove anything. you would need to take 2 computers configured exactly the same to make that comparison and since Apple does not use the same mainboards that we use for custom PCs, you cannot make that comprison. the only thing we have to compare is price vs performance. and there is no arguing that PCs kick the Macs ass in that respect.