COntroller of JUST Bank of Knobs (pots)?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: COntroller of JUST Bank of Knobs (pots)?

Post by SubFunk » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 pm

This doepfer is great, there i really wonder why no one does that updated, with usb and buspowered.
*** Image GAFM ***

d-track

Post by d-track » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:58 pm

SubFunk wrote:This doepfer is great, there i really wonder why no one does that updated, with usb and buspowered.
easy to build. you can buy every unit from dopfer. but that will be pricey

d-track

Post by d-track » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:00 pm

and just to mention:

there is a blue/yellow one with red led. thats the same unit but earlier and lot uglier:)
this silver case/blue led one was the update

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:02 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:OK, I don't need the LED-rings (hardware, baby!) so surely it wouldn't cost more than a Mackie or Behringer of simillar size?

People go "ooh... 140 pots" but that many pots in analog mixer world is completely common! :D
140 pots, no that is nothing, have a look at a H 3000 Live console (which is standard, nothing out of the ordinary)

the price, well i really think, made well, yes like a good mackie or euphonix.

behringer would be obviously cheaper, but then we do not talk quality anymore.

damn iPhone typing... Grrrr...
When you take sound quality out of the equation, Behringer seems to be capable of making good products (ref: the BCR/BCF). We've owned both the Mackie SR24 and the Behringer equivalent, and the B held up much better physically to years of dub abuse and sweat and transport knocks.

Look, I'm just trying to justify what I want, and everyone should agree with me OK? :lol:

d-track

Post by d-track » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:05 pm

onemore thing:

no need to use the ac adapter
i built a little case and switch onto it (at the serial number decal) where i can place a 9V battery/accu

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:55 pm

Pitch Black wrote:WANT

EXACTLY.

A MIDI mixer.

Skip the soundcard, I'll use my own. For added value toss in motorized faders & you've got a massive piece of gear.

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:25 am

Pitch Black wrote:
When you take sound quality out of the equation,

But isn't sound quality what it is all about?

8O

Oops Sorry, I'm the pre-MP3 generation.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:28 am

Jacqueslacouth wrote:
Pitch Black wrote:
When you take sound quality out of the equation,

But isn't sound quality what it is all about?

8O

Oops Sorry, I'm the pre-MP3 generation.
we talk midi controllers here. no sound involved, i mean traveling directly through the midi controller unit, in triggering midi signals.
Last edited by SubFunk on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:56 am

audiovoid wrote: What I envision would be the most bad ass setup right now would be to have a BCF2000 with my (imaginary) box of knobs sitting directly in back of it making it appear as one unit. And this imaginary box of knobs would be preferably 8 matching rows of 3 (or 4) non-endless knobs that line up correctly with the BCF2000 channels sitting below it.
Oh god that'd be cool.
ummm... wouldn't the BCR2000 be ideal ?! ...it's the same size and all....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r38r3BIgew

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:03 pm

3dot... wrote:
audiovoid wrote: What I envision would be the most bad ass setup right now would be to have a BCF2000 with my (imaginary) box of knobs sitting directly in back of it making it appear as one unit. And this imaginary box of knobs would be preferably 8 matching rows of 3 (or 4) non-endless knobs that line up correctly with the BCF2000 channels sitting below it.
Oh god that'd be cool.
ummm... wouldn't the BCR2000 be ideal ?! ...it's the same size and all....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r38r3BIgew
um...Yes it would be ideal if those (or even just some of) those knobs were not endless encoders which is essentially the 1st thing stated in this thread. NON-Endless encoders are what I need.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:08 pm

DerekC wrote:Hi, just randomly stumbled on this thread. I have a Doepfer Drehbank I'm selling. Let me know if you are interested. I was going to put it up on Ebay but we could discuss a price.
pm me. let me know how much you're selling it for. I doubt id be able to afford it though. The shipping from Ireland alone would probably kill me.
Still might be interested though. hit me up
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Just curious, why do you need non-endless knobs? If it were up to me, I would only have endless rotaries with leds like the BCR or APC40. In essence they are endless in that the light rings start and end where the knobs would have started and ended.

Just wondering because I hate pots that aren't endless.
Professional Shark Jumper.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:05 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Just curious, why do you need non-endless knobs? If it were up to me, I would only have endless rotaries with leds like the BCR or APC40. In essence they are endless in that the light rings start and end where the knobs would have started and ended.

+1... to each his own I guess..
plus the bcr2000 is a very flexible unit..

so it's midibox/doepfer(if you can get it)/ or FaderFox...

these are your 3 options I guess

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:33 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Just curious, why do you need non-endless knobs? If it were up to me, I would only have endless rotaries with leds like the BCR or APC40. In essence they are endless in that the light rings start and end where the knobs would have started and ended.

Simply because I like to actually feel where the knob begins and ends. For eqing and filtering it is essential to me. And like ive said before I hardwire/midi map all of my stuff for a live set. No bank switching involved therefore endless encoders with updating led rings are useless for me. + I already have plenty of controllers that DO have endless knobs so I am covered. I already said I dont hate them either. I use them for specific purposes of my own, mostly in the studio. But for any kind of live setup invololving real time tweakable eqs, filters, and effects I need my knobs to be 'Spot On' which endless ones are not (for me). Dj mixers and mixiing consloes do not have endless encoders. That's what I am used to for those kinds of adjustments.

The waveidea bitstream 3x is just about the closest thing I have found to an all in one unit suiting my prefs except its got that awful long rectangle shape liek the sl zero which I can't stand. The korg zer 4 (which I have owned and sold) would be Perfect if it was Only a midi controller and didn't have some half ass, buggy driver'd soundcard added to it.
Im picky. Yes. Shoot me. But we pay ALOT of money for this stuff. And I'VE payed A HUUUGE amount of money for controllers over the years, trying to mix and match them to suit my vision only to end up always falling short and hunting after the next possible controller to add to my worthless, plastic arsenal.
haha, now this has turned into a rant. SOrry:) I like non endless knobs. And all of the current controllers I own that DO have them end up falling short in an even more important area.

Semi off topic question.
Anybody on here own both an apc40 and a Bitsream 3x? And if so do the knobs and faders of both units line up when u set the 3x to the top of the of the apc?
Furthermore, I've heard the 3x can be a pain to program. ANy horror stories of both of these units not playing nice together?
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Now This is what Im talking about
http://www.akaipro.com/apc20
Not that thats a bank of knobs but If I DO find the magical bank of non-endless knobs that vertically line up with the slider on this thing then Ill be a happy man.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &