Custom display for live performances

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rabalder

Custom display for live performances

Post by Rabalder » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I`m currently working on my live setup for playing my tunes live.
This include lots of sends and returns and devices and buttons and so on..

I thought about making some sort of custom display that will show exactly whan I need to see. (with lots of color code..)

-Could I make a "performance version" of Live with M4L? (Is this hard to do?)
-Is the Lemur something that maybe can do this?

I really have no idea where to begin with this..

I`m not interested in spending moths learning some new tricky software. (I`m not into programing at all)

Any comments or ideas would be very appreciated..!

Khazul

Re: Custom display for live performances

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm

The best you could probbaly do is to hide mot of you tracks in a group, then maybe make a special instrument in M4L that slaved other clips for you in other tracks/slots. Cnstructing the UI and managing state for such a clip redirector would probably be a complete pain in M4L :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Any other possibilities maybe??

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:51 pm

If you are not into programming and don t want to spend Months for learning,
Max for Live will have a VERY steep learning curve and probably not make you happy. The Lemur way will also require lots of work and Time.

I would think about something like the APC and preparing an easy to handle Live set. There is a nice Tom Cosm Video about preparing songs for the Stage.

This is not ment to sound rude or something, i found this also out for myself.

A good Set for going Live is more about making it easy and restricting yourself
to some important parameters than having the ability to control everything.

My 2 Cents.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm

when you dont need real time timestretching an reaktor only live set is something that actually can work really well ..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:27 pm

ya man what dr dub said..

simplify, check out tom cosm's vids..

work on just using 8 tracks for your performance

henke

Post by henke » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 pm

The question is, what do you need to see during a live performance? A Launchpad is already an alternative interface to Live, so is the APC40 or any other controller. If you just need a little bit more visual feedback then what those kind of things already offer, MAx4Live might be the answer. If you want something that almost looks and feels like a Live screen its getting difficult or impossible.

However, maybe a combination of existing hardware interfaces like the Launchpad, and a Max patch that displays stuff on your computer might be a solution.

But you have to figure out what you want and need first. in my personal oppinon the best musical interface is an interface that acts entirely tactile and does not at all rely on visual cues. I would rather want to look at the audience than on a progress bar.... Given this my first question would not be how to build an alternative view to Live but rather how to avoid looking at it at all.... ;-)

Robert

d-track

Post by d-track » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:43 pm

visual is for the audience. you are the boss at the desks :idea:

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks for all the answers..

As of now, I have 8 clip tracks and 8 send/return tracks.
I use one APC and one BCF 2000 + one turntable.

I improvise a lot with the send/return tracks and sample things all the time as the song goes along. One song never sounds the same when played twice(which was my goal for this setup), so I need a lot of controll..
The custom display, is for beeing able to quickly view certain parameters without looking to close. I`m practicing to avoid watching the screen all the time, but often I need to know what sound is sent where before I trigger a new scene or a clip or whatever..

The "a,b,c send" on the APC is a good example.. You cant see all the "sends" at the same time. You have to switch between a,b and c. Since I use a,b,c,d,e,f,g and h, viewing this on the screen often confuses me in the heat of the moment. I suppose its the send/return that is the most impotrant. So maybe scale up the size of the send-knobs and add some color code on each of them. Everything else can probably be excluded. Just the "send-information" blown up all over the screen. With color..

Still hard to do??

Edit:
What about making a new skin-layout(is this hard to do?).. Add some color to the send buttons and maybe use the zoom-function in the preference?