Renamed: Considering location change. How do you like yours?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tjwett

Re: OT: NYC I love you but I may/(may not?) need a break.

Post by tjwett » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm a native New Yorker who's moved to a bunch of spots for varying amounts of time over the past 10 years or so. Seattle, LA, Boston - and have spent months at a time road tripping through all the lower 48 states in some way or another. Firstly, the US has some seriously amazing scenery to see and explore and I can think at least 3 totally livable spots in any state.

In between every move though I always end up back in NY. Could be the familiarity, the food, the late last call, who knows. I won't get into any debates on whether it's a "friendly" city or not as that is super subjective. In my personal experience, I've found it to be the most bullshit-free and friendly place to be. I'm not referring to politeness, but rather genuine friendliness. Meaning I guess if someone is not happy with you here you're likely to be very aware of it, but if someone likes you then that is equally as obvious and there is a level sincerity and generosity from native New Yorkers that I haven't found elsewhere. Your mileage may vary greatly of course, there are douchebags everywhere.

Probably the most useful thing I've come to understand is that every major city seems to have its own primary "currency". In New York it's probably money or success, in LA it's fame, in Boston it's education... and so on.

So if you are in one of these places for the purpose of taking part in that currency in some way or another I'd guess it could enhance the experience and probably be more enjoyable, or at least lessen some struggles. Being the new guy anywhere can be a bitch so feeling like you are contributing to the collective vibe somehow is probably a decent feeling.

Just 2 stupid cents from a fully domesticated 31 year old who is getting sleepy just at the thought of doing that all again, but wouldn't take any of it back for the world. Try it all I guess.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm

tjwett wrote:Probably the most useful thing I've come to understand is that every major city seems to have its own primary "currency". In New York it's probably money or success, in LA it's fame, in Boston it's education... and so on.
Well said.

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Maybe just visit a place that's even more 'depressing'... spend a winter (6 months w/o sunrise) in the north of finland or so. You might feel living in NYC is not so bad after all.

channelite

Post by channelite » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm from Queens, lived there until I was 28. I've been in living in Las Vegas for the past six years. I miss my old hood, my peeps, but don't miss the weather and commute. I think if you're not from NY, you should try to live somewhere else. I'd recommend Hawaii or Seattle.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:43 pm

just a quick question, how can anybody afford to live in NYC? share a 1 bdrm apartment with 17 people or what?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:56 pm

tjwett wrote:I'm a native New Yorker who's moved to a bunch of spots for varying amounts of time over the past 10 years or so. Seattle, LA, Boston - and have spent months at a time road tripping through all the lower 48 states in some way or another. Firstly, the US has some seriously amazing scenery to see and explore and I can think at least 3 totally livable spots in any state.

In between every move though I always end up back in NY. Could be the familiarity, the food, the late last call, who knows. I won't get into any debates on whether it's a "friendly" city or not as that is super subjective. In my personal experience, I've found it to be the most bullshit-free and friendly place to be. I'm not referring to politeness, but rather genuine friendliness. Meaning I guess if someone is not happy with you here you're likely to be very aware of it, but if someone likes you then that is equally as obvious and there is a level sincerity and generosity from native New Yorkers that I haven't found elsewhere. Your mileage may vary greatly of course, there are douchebags everywhere.

Probably the most useful thing I've come to understand is that every major city seems to have its own primary "currency". In New York it's probably money or success, in LA it's fame, in Boston it's education... and so on.

So if you are in one of these places for the purpose of taking part in that currency in some way or another I'd guess it could enhance the experience and probably be more enjoyable, or at least lessen some struggles. Being the new guy anywhere can be a bitch so feeling like you are contributing to the collective vibe somehow is probably a decent feeling.

Just 2 stupid cents from a fully domesticated 31 year old who is getting sleepy just at the thought of doing that all again, but wouldn't take any of it back for the world. Try it all I guess.
Not stupid at all. Great response IMO
#1thelark wrote:Maybe just visit a place that's even more 'depressing'... spend a winter (6 months w/o sunrise) in the north of finland or so. You might feel living in NYC is not so bad after all.
I know there's worse places to live than NYC. I'm not even saying that living in NYC is bad at all.

My post is not actually meant as a complaint. It's more of a poll... a survey, if you will... trying to gauge how people feel about where they are right now, what's the general feeling of living in X or Y city, so that I can have an idea of what places are good to check out while I'm still young. :)

I figured it was a good idea to write about the whole scenario, since it lends itself to more interesting, fuller responses than just asking "O HAI GUISE! WUR 2 MOOV 2 NEXT?!" :lol:

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 pm

I've analyzed this endlessly, Nate. I've been living in NYC for almost 10 years. It drives me crazy, especially Midtown (which I have to deal with during rush hour daily), but I can't bring myself to leave. My main issue is that I came here to make it in a creative field. I've made progress, but I definitely don't feel like I've accomplished what I set out to do. So until that happens, I'll likely keep grinding on.

I think the bottom line is that the only real option is to move to a mellow, sun baked California town, like Santa Barbra, San Diego, or something like that. Just chill out, work at a burrito stand, and commute to work on a long skateboard with one flip flop and one bare foot.

It sounds like I'm joking, but seriously, that may be the only real option. But, recently, my girlfriend and I have come up with a new plan:

Live in Paris for a year!

We're not really sure how to do it, if we'll have to go to school or get some kind of visa or something, but, we're both New Yorkers and we both feel like Paris is a place we could live for a stretch of time and get a lot out of it.

There is one thing you have to keep in mind. Everyone on the West coast is crazy. Portland Oregon is a really cool town, but it's filled with crazy people who judge you endlessly on the clothes you wear, the food you eat, etc. People in Portland get offended if you use an umbrella. Using an umbrella is considered "aggressive" because you could poke someone else in the eye on the sidewalk. Just be careful. A lot of those places on the West coast are nice, but take a deeper look and you realize there is this crazy passive aggression, unfounded righteousness, and just weird attitudes that dress themselves as "mellow," but are actually judgemental and negative.

At this point you've gotten used to the "realness" of New Yorkers, which is both a good and a bad thing. It's good because no one here is a stranger, we're all a family of sorts. It's bad because if you piss someone off to the point to which they want to stab you in the chest, they will most certainly go ahead and knife you in the ribs.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:44 pm

mikemc wrote:just a quick question, how can anybody afford to live in NYC? share a 1 bdrm apartment with 17 people or what?
Exactly.

I mean, motherfucker it's expensive as hell. Silly money, really. I don't care how cool the club scenes are, living in a fucking closet when you are past the age of 25 just plain sucks.

Unless you're a trust fund baby. Then, by all means, a major city is the bomb. 8)
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 pm

mikemc wrote:just a quick question, how can anybody afford to live in NYC? share a 1 bdrm apartment with 17 people or what?
Most of the time the salary you'll make is comparable. I couldn't believe it though when we moved into our place - 1 bedroom and they (the company that owns the apt complex) demanded first month's rent, last month's rent and a 1 month security. To move in it was over $4000. $1350/month for a 1 bedroom apt. When I lived in Buffalo - we had a 3 bedroom, 2 floor loft and it was $750/month.
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

ethios4

Re: Renamed: Considering location change. How do you like yours?

Post by ethios4 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:30 pm

You could come live in Oklahoma! It's great, there are no distractions from your music. And I mean NONE...no fun things to do, or places to go, or even places to play out. You get total concentration on your work. Cost of living is so cheap that you don't really have to make much money at all either.

buzby

Post by buzby » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:37 pm

#1thelark wrote:Maybe just visit a place that's even more 'depressing'... spend a winter (6 months w/o sunrise) in the north of finland or so. You might feel living in NYC is not so bad after all.
oh i hear ya - some of the little villages nestled into the mountains in iceland see no sunrise over winter - it can lose its humour ...saying that .. i ve come to love the contrast between the winter and summer -

in answer the to question - if you are feeling like you have become jaded then move on ... dont get to 80 years old with the thoughts .. "god i wish i had done this or that"

take a chance ,.... your mother did :wink:
https://hiddensound.net/
https://linktr.ee/hiddensound
Sound Devices mix pre 3 and 10Tii, various Sennheiser mkh, dpa, LOM, Audio Technica microphones

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:46 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
Live in Paris for a year!
+1

Failing that if you wish to appreciate NY again. Live in a country for a year with an oppresive government, like China, Iran or Australia.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:There is one thing you have to keep in mind. Everyone on the West coast is crazy. Portland Oregon is a really cool town, but it's filled with crazy people who judge you endlessly on the clothes you wear, the food you eat, etc. People in Portland get offended if you use an umbrella. Using an umbrella is considered "aggressive" because you could poke someone else in the eye on the sidewalk. Just be careful. A lot of those places on the West coast are nice, but take a deeper look and you realize there is this crazy passive aggression, unfounded righteousness, and just weird attitudes that dress themselves as "mellow," but are actually judgemental and negative.
The entire state of Oregon is populated but failed Califorians so you shouldn't judge a coast by it's concentrated population of bitter failures.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:24 am

Austin Texas :)

we just finished up with our second "winter" week of the season
i'm sure we will have one more before its all over

o but the summer is our winter.. freaking hot..
but if you move here around October by the time summer hits you'll be hooked enough to weather it.. thats what happened to me 13 years ago.. i only meant to live here for like 3-4 years

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:32 am

I really have a love/hate relationship with Cleveland. It's got a lot of original character (I prefer cities that are a little more intimate than Chicago, LA, NYC), but I'm just not too fond of the city life. It's too in-your-face all the time. Having been raised about 1/2 in the suburbs and 1/2 out in nature, it's just not something I love to experience nonstop. I would love to live in one of the bordering cities - Parma, Lakewood, Wickliffe, etc. - just not so close to downtown. Unfortunately, large universities are the only areas where I can find work relevant to my degree and that will bolster my future endeavors, so I'm really limited. Hopefully I can move further away next year, but my GF has no car and I can't drive her to school every day.

It's just a pain in the ass not being able to sit outside, or even walk outside safely in most areas. All the "parks" here are just paved roads through some trees, usually with apartments or electrical lines interrupting what little there is of nature. Being raised in a very nice suburb of Youngstown, where Mill Creek Park is about a 2-minute walk from my house, I was very spoiled, as it's the best park I've ever visited (out of literally hundreds).

That being said, I think I gravitate toward what I was raised in. I think maybe 'cos I really had a good childhood. I go back to my parents' place regularly (in that nice Youngstown suburb). Plenty of natural scenes, lots to do in town, not far from Cleveland or Pittsburgh if there's some sort of big event, expanses of incredibly rural areas, etc.

I love NE Ohio in general, I just wish I lived further from the big city.