Help needed - Behringer 3031A's experiencing noise connectin

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doctor_bower

Help needed - Behringer 3031A's experiencing noise connectin

Post by doctor_bower » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:54 am

Hey guys,

I'm having a some trouble with some new Behringer 3031A studio monitors I bought recently. They never experience noise or anything plugging into my DJM 400 mixer playing cds, but when I hook them up to my laptop, either via:

i) Behringer UCA200
ii) M-Audio Fast Track Pro

... they experience a horrible level of noise that makes mixing with them or even keeping them plugged in unusable/unbearable. This noise changes or is affected by me opening up programs, moving the mouse, basically doing anything on the computer - it is definitely only when plugged into the laptop.

I have tried removing the battery on the laptop and just going via power (as the Behringer website recommended) but it didn't help.

I've also tried closing all unneeded programs etc. just incase there was too much going on and it didn't help.

Could you guys please offer any solutions you might have?

I would really appreciate it so much.

Thanks heaps

3phase

Re: Help needed - Behringer 3031A's experiencing noise connectin

Post by 3phase » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:34 am

the behringer side recomenden to remove the battery? are you sure that this wasnt the other way around?

and i guess that your behringer "studo" monitors have symetrical inputs? you might try a cable that has the shield cutted at the speaker inputs

are the spekers grounded with theier power cables? is your laptop grounded at the power connector? dependend on the situation this either good or bad.

best you start with all grounded.. than you check what happens when isolating ground from the speakers.. the handles of big plastic bags for shopping are usually good to achive that temporarely.. at least for german plugs...

what happens when the laptop is ungrounden you easily find out when running it from battery...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 am

simply bring them back, behringer products are a 100% miss and hit. looks like you did not scored a hit.

but it does sound a bit like a ground problem, though. can you use your power supply on the laptop
without connecting to the power earth wire (two pin plug) try that.
*** Image GAFM ***

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:06 am

SubFunk wrote:simply bring them back, behringer products are a 100% miss and hit. looks like you did not scored a hit.

but it does sound a bit like a ground problem, though. can you use your power supply on the laptop
he should run with batterys first and see if that is an imprrovement... i really wonder if behringer really sugessted to run the laptop without batterys... oh my... behringer dont belongs into an audio chain

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 am

3phase wrote:
SubFunk wrote:simply bring them back, behringer products are a 100% miss and hit. looks like you did not scored a hit.

he should run with batterys first and see if that is an imprrovement... i really wonder if behringer really sugessted to run the laptop without batterys... oh my... behringer dont belongs into an audio chain
well, go figure... i think their suggestions equal their products: both are rubbish.

the only thing you can buy from them are the BCR / BCF, not audio is going through those.
*** Image GAFM ***

planet_b

Post by planet_b » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:24 am

My experience with 2030A's have taught me that they should be connected to grounded electricity socket. Even if there wasn't ANY sound source connected to the inputs, the noise coming from them, if connected to non-grounded socket, was really awful.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 am

planet_b wrote:My experience with 2030A's have taught me that they should be connected to grounded electricity socket. Even if there wasn't ANY sound source connected to the inputs, the noise coming from them, if connected to non-grounded socket, was really awful.

as i said before..maybe his problemis that he dont has a ground connection... sometimes you have poor elctric instalations in flats without real ground...

planet_b

Post by planet_b » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:54 am

Tell me about it.. I have an extension cord coming from the kitchen, where the grounded sockets are located. :roll:

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 am

you live in finland? so there is no concrete before your house? just put an at least 2 meter long ground nail int the ground with a big hammer.. and make this your studio ground..usually much better than anything you get fro the sockets...in case i ve the wrong immage about finland..

a good ground in a concrete enviroment can be difficult.. usually its supplied in the pwoer socket as a third pin.. but this differs from country to country.. has your extension chord 3 poles? or is it a chepo version from thailand with just 2 wires? in the last case ther is no ground connection

necho

Post by necho » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 pm

doctor_bower wrote:Behringer
there's your problem, guv'nor.

sorry - not helpful.
_________
sigs suck.