Ripping other artists off!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

Re: Ripping other artists off!

Post by 3phase » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:24 am

the question is maybe where ripping starts..

amon tobin is a good example..100% sampled..and still so much an own komposition.. i wouldnt call that ripping..
he is actually like tarantino in a way.. very original
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Shillelagh Law

Post by Shillelagh Law » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:42 am

q.musgrove wrote:
3phase wrote:post own tunes? that sounds really professional

yeah, that's what I thought.
lol, you pompous ass

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Sven+R%C3%B6hrig
http://www.myspace.com/3phase1

pretty banging, as it goes.
Anyone who responds to this message is a stalker. That's the law.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 am

3phase wrote:the tittle of the thread is Ripping other artists off...

playing a style dot means that you dont need to bring in own ideas that form the basis of a NEW track...
jup. but i think the title is mostly to grab attention :) and having the feel to rip artists off somehow.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:12 pm

3phase wrote:cheap excuses from people with a lack of own ideas or the atitude to be an original..
the whole world would be better of without this type.
Or people who've actually thought out their arguments and are being realistic. I think the world is better off without the type who don't do these things.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:54 pm

q.musgrove wrote:You ever feel like too many of your ideas are just approximations of other peoples'? Curious how different people deal with this.
i never ever had the aim to be / sound / or create like someone else... if it happens by coincidence i don't give the slightest shit, i am my own.
*** Image GAFM ***

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Baron von Case wrote:
3phase wrote:cheap excuses from people with a lack of own ideas or the atitude to be an original..
the whole world would be better of without this type.
Or people who've actually thought out their arguments and are being realistic. I think the world is better off without the type who don't do these things.
welcome to the wonderfull world of britnay spears

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:15 pm

I think there's a lot to be said for fitting one's music into the context of what has happened before, what is happening now. I can make the craziest most obscure experimental music, no problem. No one else is interested though, and to be honest it's not as satisfying to me as "things that have been done before". It's great and necessary to push the envelope, don't get me wrong. But nothing wrong with learning from what other artists have done.

It's like Avatar, not an original story at all in any way shape or form. Still a satisfying movie to me for what it is. If I want something all twisted out and weird, I know where to go for that. Sometimes its satisfying to see a new take on an old form.

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:17 pm

q.musgrove wrote:You ever feel like too many of your ideas are just approximations of other peoples'? Curious how different people deal with this.
Its really doesnt matter - if it connnects - it connects. `its that simple ithink.
there are no rules hear - :)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:18 pm

ethios4 wrote:But nothing wrong with learning from what other artists have done..
of course not, but it should lead to your own...

copying and learning from something are two very different things!

i think that is the point.
*** Image GAFM ***

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:49 pm

3phase wrote:you must have ripped a lot of artists.. sorry man..its lame to steal essential lines and no bullshit arguments from you will change that.. It was´nt cool at any time and it wont be cool at any time..
From a music history perspective you just sound foolish and, frankly, immature. Many composers of the baroque and classical traditions started out as copyists for other composers. Many developed their style by studying scores that they were literally copying. It was inevitable that certain aspects of the mentor would seep into their own compositions including formal and motivic style. Studying what has come before is imperative to developing your own style.

In fact if you believe you are completely original you are delusional. If you've ever heard music then you have internalized something that you have inevitably used in your own work.
Unsound Designer

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Foolish? sorry.. its about your work and your money when people steal what they actually would have to buy.
And your baroc traditions.. of cause there was asshole musicans back than aswell.. and real artists... you know which are the ones we are still talking about.. beside certain instrumentations and harmonic rules in the classical european music are a rather mechanik thing.. do talk about the development of harmonic and orchestration laws = style or do you talk about stealing ideas?

A while ago some guys stole a line from an old track of me.. they initially even named the copy similar to my track.. and they used one of my former synthezisers whith my very on programming to play the same melody.. they dont sampled..otherwise they would have had to pay for it..they just "copied" the line.. the producer guy told me that this is a normal practice in techno music and therfore ok to do so ... and that i should be proud that somebody dares to rip me :-/
how would you call such a guy?

if one might wonder how they get the hands on my patch.. i got the promise from the guy that bought the synth from me that he never will use the sound..that it just shall stay in the machine for "historical" reasons.. and because we was friends i dont have this gentlemens agreement in written form.. so my fault.. never do gentlemen agreements with people that dont qualify for that.
and you never know how people behave when they run out of money
so friendship usualy ends when money comes along.. As in this case

actually copying is totally natural and ok.. for beginners and hobybists.. but not for releasing artists..there it can be called stealing..
at least in the same sense some people bann the use of hacked software.. and call that stealing.

Using hacked software and copying parts from other tracks is pretty much the same...

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:08 pm

@3phase

There's obviously some language issues going on here, which seem to happen often with you.
Unsound Designer

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:17 pm

stringtapper wrote: If you've ever heard music then you have internalized something that you have inevitably used in your own work.

sure.. especially when experimental music grows into genres this happens ... and is part of the development of music...

but ther is a big difference in this natural grow, where subtile and unconcious refferences are taking place...and the modern rippoff culture.. the fake culture..
And using the one thing to legetimate the own lack of creativity is some kind of evil propaganda..

ther are two tyes of people in the music biz..

the one type makes music..
the other type makes money with music..

and ther is a different set of rules for each type..

so when you think copying is ok.. copy the most actual comercial shit and sell a clone to your local majors..an old practize..
its beneficial for all involved parts..except the unguilty listener ..
ok..any music is good music..

But...
why wasting time to transfer this type of culture to underground styles? you wont make money and the underground styles dont get better this way..

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Whenever I try ripping ideas off or copying something, I always seem to end up going in a totally different direction.

All I've ever wanted to do was make a decent dance track :(