30 days sober

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

30 days sober

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Not a drop. Not even NYE. I haven't been sober this many days in a row since the Bush administration, the first one, not W.

Whaddup?

kb420

Re: 30 days sober

Post by kb420 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Congratulations!!!!!

Stick with it. It's a daily struggle.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Shillelagh Law

Post by Shillelagh Law » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:55 pm

how much were you boozing beforehand ? and how do you feel now ?
(and seeing as we've gone all emo-OT...what's your favourite colour)
Anyone who responds to this message is a stalker. That's the law.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 pm

Nice one!!

I am 7 days in and while I thought I wouldnt miss it, I have to say I do get a hankering of an evening...wierd.

We have this little extra fridge at home that my Mrs uses as she makes Belgian Chocs, but when she's not stocked up it becomes a booze fridge. i wondered what example i was setting my kids so Ive knocked it on the head. Don't want them to think that Dad just wanders around all weekend with a beer continuously in their hands. Didn't want to be remembered like that. 'Oh yes, my Dad had his own little fridge filled with booze which he drank continuously at the weekends...and in the evenings on weekdays'. :lol:

Why you gived up?

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:56 pm

i was full last night.
it was a blast!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:11 pm

I saw drinking as a pattern I enjoyed but my life really wasn't moving in any kind of forward direction....that whole definition of insanity thing. Then there's the whole hangover thing. I was mostly a weekend binge drinker and maybe once on a weekday.

I also started going to AA for the first time ever. I was initially expecting a depression-fest a la Fight Club but it's nothing like that at all. I've never seen a more boisterous and friendly crowd that wasn't hammered on alcohol or maybe on e would be a better comparison. It was quite alarming at first, especially taking that in sober.

One of my main issues and adjustments to the program is that "go to a meeting" or "read the book" seems to be the default given response to when you do even something as little as glance a little longer than is necessary at an alcohol advertisement. I'm spending more hours hearing about alcohol, talking about alcohol, reading about alcohol, thinking about alcohol, or avoiding thinking about alcohol than I've spent drinking alcohol.

Also a lot of people sharing in the meetings seem to be cases of the extreme. One of the steps is admitting you've hit bottom which I could probably say I've hit my bottom, but by comparison to some of these stories I feel like I'm looking down and bottom is nowhere in sight.

But at the same time this answers one of the most perplexing questions of all alcoholics: How the fuck am I supposed to expand my social circle and enjoy life in the outside world without alcohol? There's a whole world of meaningful friendships and activities that doesn't involve mass doses of social lubricant that I was completely unaware of.

Plus if you've read any of my posts here I can still sound like an idiot that comes off as drunk. Life really doesn't have to change that much.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:17 pm

beats me wrote:But at the same time this answers one of the most perplexing questions of all alcoholics: How the fuck am I supposed to expand my social circle and enjoy life in the outside world without alcohol? There's a whole world of meaningful friendships and activities that doesn't involve mass doses of social lubricant that I was completely unaware of.

Good question. I guess it's time to make new friends then.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:22 pm

I havent drunk since new years eve.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:28 pm

I gave up drinking a while back, not that i drunk that much before, just seems the money is better spent somewhere else. I have more fun in the pub now than i ever did.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:34 pm

I know that feeling Beats. I've never been tempted to go to AA, I don't feel I have a 'problem' and i don't think my drinking causes problems for anyone else really.

But I am a binge drinker, thats for sure and when i actually analyse how much i drink then it's not good.

But as i said, mainly i want to give the kids the right impression.

Like you though, i don't think I am anywhere near hitting any kind of bottom. But maybe everyones rockbottom is in a different place. On a different plane.

But the pounds are piling on and I aint getting any younger, the cholesterol is going up and the waistline is expanding. Something has to be done.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Went to AA for 11 years and sober for 11 years. That was 12 years ago. It saved my life and got me on the right track. No longer sober, (long story). Life is good and I'm happier and more productive than ever.

Good Luck!

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:37 pm

UKRuss wrote:But the pounds are piling on and I aint getting any younger, the cholesterol is going up and the waistline is expanding. Something has to be done.
Bigger pair of trousers?
Drums

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Indeed...

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Every few years I go on a serious health kick, and when I do, I usually end up not drinking at all for months. This is one of those years, so I don't plan on doing much drinking for the next few months. I probably won't really drink until football season starts again in September.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:21 pm

UKRuss wrote:But as i said, mainly i want to give the kids the right impression.
As long as you are giving the kids the right impression of course.

One of the biggest problems in the UK is that the "kids" have it in their heads that abstaining during the week and getting blitzed at the weekends is the way it's done.

As long as you're not going nuts, then a few drinks as part of everyday life is not a bad thing. Quitting it completely suggests an all or nothing attitude that may seem sensible to you, but may be perceived differently to an impressionable young mind. Especially when you decide "I've been good for x weeks now - I'll have a few tonight" and end up wasted.

IMO, of course :-)

Cheers,

Mo
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1