Idea - store where non-M4L users can buy single devices

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chevthewizard

Idea - store where non-M4L users can buy single devices

Post by chevthewizard » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Apologies if somebody has already suggested this idea before.

But I think it would be a good idea for Ableton to implement a store - similar to the iPhone app store - where people who haven't purchased full M4L can buy individual devices created by those who have. Users could then use these individual devices in Ableton like any other device, just without the M4L edit button. Money from the sales would go towards the creators (as well as a cut being taken by Ableton themselves). I see this as being beneficial in several ways:

* Those who spend time and effort creating complex devices in MFL can get a small financial reward for doing so
* People who would never buy MFL can still benefit from some of the cool stuff being created with it.
* Makes sense financially from Ableton's point of view - they would probably get more people interested in buying the full MFL product, as well as taking the cut from the individual device sales.
* Would encourage those with MFL to build bigger & better stuff.

I guess it would be a lot of work for Ableton to set up, especially with the financial side of things, transferring money etc.... and I don't know whether there is a 'runtime only' version of MFL in the pipeline at all... but this seems like a good idea to me.

What do you think?
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

3dot...

Re: Idea - store where non-M4L users can buy single devices

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:11 pm

ba...
an m4l 'runtime' device would be all that is needed to sell apps.

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:19 pm

It has been discussed, some people went loon. It was fun though :lol:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=128401

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:26 pm

This week we are focusing on the disappointment and shortcomings of The Bridge. We need to evolve, people. Ableton has provided us with an unprecedented parade of things to complain about. Please stop beating last month's dead horse.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:37 pm

beats me wrote:This week we are focusing on the disappointment and shortcomings of The Bridge. We need to evolve, people. Ableton has provided us with an unprecedented parade of things to complain about. Please stop beating last month's dead horse.
hehe I'm still on Midi sync(since v7)...
maybe evolving could be nice...
I'll just pretend all is well.. :D

(I don't use turntables as controllers
so the serato issue doesn't really concern me..)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:44 pm

I imagine someone thinking there gonna get devices for like 5 or 10 bucks.

Chances are people would be selling them for 60 and up. So after a few device purchases, you could just have bought the full version and made your own. DUH.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:59 pm

I'd happily sell stuff for a dollar.....

Cheers
D

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:07 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I imagine someone thinking there gonna get devices for like 5 or 10 bucks.

Chances are people would be selling them for 60 and up. So after a few device purchases, you could just have bought the full version and made your own. DUH.
and some would give them for free... lord forbid...

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:09 pm

3dot... wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:I imagine someone thinking there gonna get devices for like 5 or 10 bucks.

We do...

maxforlive.com

Shillelagh Law

Post by Shillelagh Law » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:16 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:
3dot... wrote:

We do...

maxforlive.com
right. and is there anything there you'd pay 60 bucks for ?
Anyone who responds to this message is a stalker. That's the law.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:22 pm

probly not...

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Shillelagh Law wrote:
right. and is there anything there you'd pay 60 bucks for ?

No, but thats because I already got access. If I didn't and someone was selling lets say the "Video Rack" and there was no demonstration of it, just my imagination conjuring up what I could do???... and I could get it for 60dollars, I would probably pay for it if I had the 60bucks.

I know what your saying. Is it worth 60bucks. I dont think anything on the site is worth 60bucks. But if someone was say trying to figure out how much to sell thier device for they might even sell themselves short and go "OK it's worth 5bucks and hour for my work" That could easily result in 60+. Worth is relative to the one who makes vs. one who wants. I bought the Finger for 60bucks. And thats how I figured such an arbitrary price. The price NI charges for add on's Not to mention the original idea involved Ableton's cut.

All I was saying is many would probably price high, and many would feel let down.

So I'm glad I coughed up the full version price cuz I felt it to be way worth it.

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Rave wrote:It has been discussed, some people went loon. It was fun though :lol:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=128401

Coolio :mrgreen:

Looks like it was a pretty indepth discussion so I guess nothing much more to be said. For the record, I was imagining prices in the 5 range, or 10 for very complex/large projects.
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:17 pm

chevthewizard wrote:I was imagining prices in the 5 range, or 10 for very complex/large projects.

I kind of figured that. And I dont knock the idea. In fact it really had me thinking about it. My first inclination was, sharing them as Reaktor Stuff and Max stuff has been shared for years. I started to get irritated by the thought of how others would price thier stuff thinking it was worth high prices, this idea being fueled by what I have seen others selling presets and such for. Then I moved from that to the idea of what someones time is worth when they make a patch. If I charge time to design a website, it's 40+ and hour. For 3D animation and motion graphics it's much more. Yet I will spend hours on a patch and give it away. Chances are if I was making devices for a dollar and hour, some would be 40bucks, and seem like they were only worth a dollar.

So after all that going through my head I just got greatful there are people out there posting sites like maxforlive.info, maxforlive.com, TomCosms stuff and many more! I love it when we all share. I tell you what though, if I made a patch that was a modular Finger Rip off, where you could substitute your own FX or Ableton devices, spent months making it and came up with a great piece of work. I'd be extreamly excited to share it, as well as feel reservations about keeping to myself.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:22 pm

JuanSOLO wrote: So I'm glad I coughed up the full version price cuz I felt it to be way worth it.
how's it working for ya?...no crashes.. glitches... sync issues...
are you using it to the 'MAX' ...?

seriously... I want to know..

btw..
I shelled out 50$ for this bundle (max4)...
http://www.daevlmakr.com/Pages/daevlplugs.html
cuz I thought it was worth it...

it's not a matter of how much $ it costs...
it's about $ vs. Functionality...
Last edited by 3dot... on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.