insert marker - WTF

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
candy warlos

insert marker - WTF

Post by candy warlos » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:33 am

just bought live 8 compulsively, and something already doesn't work anymore as it used to in 7:
see the orange insert marker in the midi editor, which appears wherever i click inside the midi (or audio) clip ; when i press "space", the song should start exactly from there - but no i doesn't… it will always start from the green "play start indicator" no matter what… it ruins completely my workflow…
am i missing something? if not, i'll sell this thing back right away…

Imaulle

Re: insert marker - WTF

Post by Imaulle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:41 am

right click the loop bar, and uncheck "set song start time here"

candy warlos

Post by candy warlos » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:49 am

thanks, but nope, doesnt work. everytime i select or click inside a midi clip, this green thing will appear, it's a nightmare.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:55 am

nice pickup Imaulle! I didn't know that.

I just tried it, it works on Live 8.1.1. which version are you on.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:14 am

use control+space. it's way better with the play marker in live 8. the only thing I have to complain is that the marker jumps to the start of an event if you select it.

problem:
- I want edit 1 bar in a 8 bar long clip.
- I want that my playback starts on the 3.bar and therefore I place the marker with the mouse at the start from the 3.bar and hit control+space, works great.
- but when you edit some notes the marker jumps automatically to the selected note, to when you hit control+space you don't start at the 3.bar any more.

-> there should be a key that suppress this automatic jump from the marker when you select an event.

it's the same problem in arrange with arrange events like audio/midi clips, onyy that the key is just space and not control+space.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:10 am

i know i'm missing something here, why not just set the loop bracket at bar 3-4?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:39 am

I love it. You pay for an expensive upgrade with lots of features but one thing is different and it's a deal breaker.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

candy warlos

Post by candy warlos » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:12 am

err… control+space just opens spotlight here (mac) - and moving the loop bracket is not a solution, really.
i just want to PLAY starting at bar 3.4 with ONE clic… it seems the only way now to do this is by clicking on the track grid, taking you away from the audio/midi clip and wasting your time. they've made everything ten times more complicated here… just open live 7 and check the difference.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:44 am

candy warlos wrote:err… control+space just opens spotlight here (mac)
You pressed command+space.

candy warlos

Post by candy warlos » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am

no i didn't, but ok: the correct key is alt+space here.

Aerankas

Post by Aerankas » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:22 pm

This is bugging me too. I get the Ctrl-Space now, that works, but sometimes I don't have to do this. When I first open the set, I can bounce around in clip view and pressing just space starts from the arrangement start marker, but as soon as I do.... something (I have no idea what changes this) it starts playing from that tiny green bastard instead and only ctrl-space starts it at the arrangement start marker.

I can work with Ctrl-Space, I just want to know WHY it changes. Can I change it back? Live 9.0.1

Grill Pheiss

Post by Grill Pheiss » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:16 am

please see my feature request on this -

it's a workflow killer and still present in 9

nightmarish and "ctrl space" is no solution, actually ctrl space shoule be used maybe for that "play start indicator", not the contrary