chord help using the tonys chords pack

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
leighbeynon

chord help using the tonys chords pack

Post by leighbeynon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuDEx313nM

so this is a pretty useful tool as it has all the chords within a key min and maj,

so you can stay in one key and play different chords, problem i have is that
the chords in one key dont really sound that great,

im trying to create neo soul style chords, so alot of min 9ths 13th etc
if your working within say Eminor are there other relative chords in different keys that would work with E minor or another other key ?

maybe its just me but these chords dont seem to give me the feel im after ?

im after something more like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudUMHItzzY
LPB

bandito3

Re: chord help using the tonys chords pack

Post by bandito3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:51 pm

leighbeynon wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuDEx313nM

so this is a pretty useful tool as it has all the chords within a key min and maj,

so you can stay in one key and play different chords, problem i have is that
the chords in one key dont really sound that great,

im trying to create neo soul style chords, so alot of min 9ths 13th etc
if your working within say Eminor are there other relative chords in different keys that would work with E minor or another other key ?

maybe its just me but these chords dont seem to give me the feel im after ?

im after something more like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudUMHItzzY
I have a bit of a problem with this... Music is music. I feel as if you don't have the knowledge or skill to play it then it shouldn't be played.

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:50 pm

so i guess your against all none muscians working with music ?
so if your not trained to read or play music you have no business making music,

just because you have the tools to build a house doesnt mean you can build a solid safe building,

maybe you should ask Ableton to remove all chord and scale plug ins also ?
or would you prefer music software only be sold to muscians,

most people who cant play either pay a sessions player for parts or find a way to get what they want using block chords, plug ins etc, still donest mean they will have a top 10 hit.

thanks for the constructive help
LPB

BassTooth

Post by BassTooth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:22 pm

leighbeynon wrote:so i guess your against all none muscians working with music ?
so if your not trained to read or play music you have no business making music,

just because you have the tools to build a house doesnt mean you can build a solid safe building,

maybe you should ask Ableton to remove all chord and scale plug ins also ?

most people who cant play either pay a sessions player for parts or find a way to get what they want using block chords, plug ins etc, still donest mean they will have a top 10 hit.

+1

bandito3

Post by bandito3 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:15 pm

leighbeynon wrote:so i guess your against all none muscians working with music ?
I do not consider myself a "musician." I'm simply a lover of the craft. I just feel as if there is so much knowledge to be gained from learning theory/chords and the way each work in conjunction with the next. With this chord pack it seems as if a small child or monkey could simply press keys in a quantized manner and create a "song," or at least something tolerable musically.
leighbeynon wrote:just because you have the tools to build a house doesnt mean you can build a solid safe building.So if your not trained to read or play music you have no business making music,
Not at all. All I'm saying is work with what you got, there is no need for this extraneous cord pack for "support."

Look at some of the most amazing musical acts of our time: The Beatles, and Nirvana. None of which were musically astounding, but they knew how to craft an enjoyable song... Many to this day refer to them as a "joke," or overrated. But the fact still remains that they made some damn good songs with the simplicity of sound that they knew.

What I'm saying is, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to play in a certain key or a certain chord. Express yourself with all of your natural ability you've gained and have been given.

I use this site a lot:
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/

leighbeynon wrote:maybe you should ask Ableton to remove all chord and scale plug ins also ?
if this was the case I would never be able to get my hands on ableton...

leighbeynon wrote:most people who cant play either pay a sessions player for parts or find a way to get what they want using block chords, plug ins etc, still donest mean they will have a top 10 hit.

Fair enough.

Again, I don't mean to seem condescending. I just don't like the idea of chord packs.

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:04 pm

While I see what your saying I see no difference in using look no hands or the chord pack they are telling you the same info just different formats I can go to the web and check all chords within a key then simply record my own midi clips so either way the result is the same,of course I can attempt to play each chord while checking I'm playing the correct tones but not much difference I'm still searching out the knowledge
LPB

mrideas

Post by mrideas » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:40 pm

What synth are you playing your chords through? I've found that some presets in many soft synths perhaps have 'chord' already in the harmonics. so If you play a chord with a chord, it doesn't sound 'right'. Does that make sense to anyone?

As for the above comments, i' think the chord tools are great for non-musicians to 'catch up' to those with more formal training. Though repetition and use of such tools, one gains the knowledge needed to require them less and less.

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 am

exactly plus the more you hear chords your using you will become more familiar with the tones of the chords, i just need a starting point, i mean i can use my ears and hear what works and what doesnt, but i would like a nice guide based in theory to show me what chords work within a given key, i dont want to create something that bounces between 4-5 different keys

a few key changes are fine, i just want to start with the basics and understand what im doing also,

can anyone tell me a good resource for scales which use the 9ths,7ths 13th in the roman numeral system as these are the chords that seem to be used alot in neo soul style,

if i can get a resource i can create my own progressions based from a scale
LPB

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:01 pm

Any one know some good sites for neo soul stuff suggested chords, modes scales etc?
LPB

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:30 am

any keys players on here ?
just want pointing in the right direction for the chords that are commonly used in neo soul
LPB

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm

anyone really, any chord info help ? just a place to start ?
LPB

i3igTripplets

Post by i3igTripplets » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Problem I have with the chords pack (and maybe I just don't know enough about it) but besides automating the hell out of it, you can't really get any sort of root movement feel to it.

i3igTripplets

Post by i3igTripplets » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:25 pm

leighbeynon wrote:anyone really, any chord info help ? just a place to start ?
Oh, and to help you out, I googled it for you and came up with this cache page, seems to be a start.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:NH ... clnk&gl=us

"often done in neosoul.

Bb/BbC#FAb

C/BbEbG

C#AbC#/C C# FAb

D/F#C F....PASSING

Eb Bb/Eb G Bb Eb

E/ADG...PASSING

FC/EbGAbBb

G/FBbEb...PASSING

AbEbAb/GCEbF
"

Hope that helps

leighbeynon

Post by leighbeynon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm

cool ok ill have a mess with these chords,

just doesnt seem to be any good extended chords in the tony chord set,
ones that you could create your own progressions with, based on a key
LPB

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:24 pm

< tony here. i think you're the same person who emailed me on the youtube. you can substitue any of the extended chords listed under the root note up top (13th, 9th, 7th, etc...) with whatever chord it's extending (Maj, Min) in each chord grouping. it's impractical to make every possible combination with all extensions so use the groupings as a starting point and drag and drop the extended versions of whatever chords you want over the basic ones in the group (they'll be the same color). experiment and remember there are no rules.

as far as the cheating thing goes... my time is better served by quickly getting to a chord set and making good sounding music. if you're "keeping it real" by manually looking up chords and physically pressing the keys, more power to you... but my philosophy is that i use whatever tools at my disposal to make music and have fun.

not 10 years ago in the publishing industry, art departments were filled with cameras and paste-up boards. graphic designers would literally cut out shapes, draw on paper and paste advertisments together. then they would take a photograph of the advertisment, develop the film and paginate the magazine from hundred of little snippets of film.

then adobe came along. it's called progress.

there's still a place for traditional arts and crafts, but those artists would look foolish to bad-mouth digital media because in a practical sense, the traditional artist is a dinosaur.

don't get me wrong, i love dinosaurs. i just don't want a dinosaur telling me i'm not an artist.